Can I pull my engine out of the top without the tranny?

IowaJetta

TDI
2001 Jetta
I have a 2001 Jetta with a bad engine and all the manuals say drop the engine and tranny together out of the bottom of the car. I would like to pull the engine only out of the top of the car can this be done?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Yes they drop out the bottom of the car not the top.

It requires the removal of 6 bolts, disconnecting the wiring harness and fuel lines, shift linkage, A/C, exhaust and cooling lines. You can have the engine ready to drop in about 1 hour total. The time you would waste trying to pull the motor out the top is simply not worth the hassle.

DB

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
Could you:
  1. Unbolt the transmission from the engine
  2. Remove the front end (bumper...)
  3. Pull the engine forward
--Andy

Matthew_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS galactic blue
Chemboy said:
Could you:
  1. Unbolt the transmission from the engine
  2. Remove the front end (bumper...)
  3. Pull the engine forward
--Andy
There may not be enough room on the 5 speed cars to separate the engine and trans in the car. On a auto you probably could but like Drivbiwire said, it's way too much work. Why make harder than it has to be?

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
Ok, then why not remove the engine AND transmission through the front? This MUST be easier than installing a car lift in the garage!

IowaJetta, go search for this on www.vwvortex.com. People over there do engine swaps all the time.

--Andy

Last edited:

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Yes that's another way. Taking the front off the car is not that much work and you could pull the motor straight out.

When VW builds the car the engine/transmission are lifted up into the car. This makes it easier to automate the process by installing a complete assembly.

DB

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
Matthew_S said:
There may not be enough room on the 5 speed cars to separate the engine and trans in the car. On a auto you probably could but like Drivbiwire said, it's way too much work. Why make harder than it has to be?
So how then do you change the clutch? Drop the engine and tranny out? Don't think so. There is plenty of room to remove the tranny alone from the bottom. With the tranny out, it should be fairly easy to take the engine out from the top/front.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Trust me there is not enough room...

You can pull the engine out the top IF you take everything apart in the engine bay...The time it takes to do this is easily saved by either dropping the whole engine/transmission or sliding it out the front of the car.

You can do 3 engne swaps in the time it takes to pull one motor out the top of the engine bay.

DB

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I don't know whether you guys have the ground clearance to do this, but the Mk1 and Mk2 people do sometimes drop the engine and tranny, and then jack the car up, and drag the engine and tranny out from under the car.