TDI Ranger gets to 999,999

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Well after 5 years on my newspaper run at 500kms/day(august 2012 it went on full time)its hit 999,999
Anyone care to guess what happens after 999,999kms?

https://imgur.com/a/JRvkL

I do have a question here, but I wanna see what you guys think happens.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
OK. Hard to tell from your conversion post, no shots of the cluster.

I think they top out at 999,999 no?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I can't wait for photobucket to finally die and go away.

Can't see your image.

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
in that pic there are 940 papers on the truck and they each weighed 1045 grams that day. So 1076 kgs...or 2373lbs

and windex is right...nothing happens haha. It gets to 999,999 and just stops!

So my question is...is there any way to reset it? or turn it back? My reason being is I cant keep track of my oil change intervals now. Also that I wont know how much past 999,999 I get!

djrhetoric

Veteran Member
TDI
80 Rabbit pickup MTDI
in that pic there are 940 papers on the truck and they each weighed 1045 grams that day. So 1076 kgs...or 2373lbs

and windex is right...nothing happens haha. It gets to 999,999 and just stops!

So my question is...is there any way to reset it? or turn it back? My reason being is I cant keep track of my oil change intervals now. Also that I wont know how much past 999,999 I get!
You can check your actual kilometers using VCDS. The ECU stores this, even though the cluster can no longer display it (lack of another byte). That, however, would be a pain if you need to track regularly.

I believe you can use VAG-Tacho to reset the cluster to whatever mileage you'd like, thus enabling you to track it real-time like you were.

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
You can check your actual kilometers using VCDS. The ECU stores this, even though the cluster can no longer display it (lack of another byte). That, however, would be a pain if you need to track regularly.

I believe you can use VAG-Tacho to reset the cluster to whatever mileage you'd like, thus enabling you to track it real-time like you were.
Interesting..I went into the ECU with VCDS and it shows 655,XXXkms? I am using a dakota digital sg5 to make the cluster show actual speed which was needed to go from ford trans to VW cluster.

Also can VCDS do the reset of the cluster..or is it vag tacho only? I have no access to vag tacho btw and thanks

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
If you can hook up VCDS you must have an OBD port, so maybe you could get an UltraGauge and keep track of your mileage with that.

http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/ultragauge_wired.htm

You'd have to calibrate it for distance the first time, by using a GPS or driving a known distance, but once you do that it's pretty accurate. It also retains the calibration if you unplug it, so if you have to use VCDS, no big deal. Just plug it back in and it continues where you left off.

djrhetoric

Veteran Member
TDI
80 Rabbit pickup MTDI
Also can VCDS do the reset of the cluster..or is it vag tacho only? I have no access to vag tacho btw and thanks
VAG-Tacho only.

The ECU should match what the cluster says mileage-wise (until you hit the limit)... so I'm not sure why you'd have a descrepency there.

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
If you can hook up VCDS you must have an OBD port, so maybe you could get an UltraGauge and keep track of your mileage with that.

http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/ultragauge_wired.htm

You'd have to calibrate it for distance the first time, by using a GPS or driving a known distance, but once you do that it's pretty accurate. It also retains the calibration if you unplug it, so if you have to use VCDS, no big deal. Just plug it back in and it continues where you left off.
VAG-Tacho only.

Yeah great idea, I have scangauge on the truck right now, just its too bright at night, which of course is when I drive. Suppose I can just cover it hahah

The ECU should match what the cluster says mileage-wise (until you hit the limit)... so I'm not sure why you'd have a descrepency there.
No idea, like I said it must be reading different from the cluster. The only thing that makes sense is the sq5 which is multiplying the trans signal roughly 40% faster to make the cluster accurate. So 40% less of 999,999 is 655,XXX?

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Hmm, missed my reply to Mike...

Yeah great idea, I have scangauge on the truck right now, just its too bright at night, which of course is when I drive. Suppose I can just cover it hahah

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Can you change the kM to miles on the display with VCDS?

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Interesting..so you are thinking change to miles and it goes from all 9s to something lower? like 6XX,XXX? If it works like that that is a great solution. and it just might be that easy...

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/vwmkIV.html

And it could be as easy as changing the country code? Worth a try. Great idea and I will try that sooner than later!

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Yep, that's what I was thinking

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Hmm, missed my reply to Mike...
Ultragauge can go pretty dim for night driving. I adjusted it to be about the same as my dash lights.

About the cluster vs ECU mileage discrepancy, maybe the ECU is showing miles and the cluster is showing km?

999,999 km is equal to about 621,370 miles.

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Well in theory this was the best and easiest solution imo....however i set cluster to region: USA. It changed the odometer from 999,999 to 621,358..I thought wonderful...good for another 3 years on the run. Much to my dismay it stays at 621,358!! Its like when you peg the kms the miles stop counting too?

Has ANYONE gone past 621,358 on an ALH?

pilodriver

TDI
2003 golf tdi,2015 golf tdi
I saw an article on you tube that a beetle had past a million miles. It had done 918,000 miles on the original engine. I think it was an alh.
Congrats on the first million kilometres.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Umm, you're driving around daily with this kind of weight on your Ranger on a daily basis? It's barely squatting, clearly you've upped the spring pack. I'm floored the wheel bearings and such have stood up to this abuse.

Congrats on the milestone.

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Umm, you're driving around daily with this kind of weight on your Ranger on a daily basis? It's barely squatting, clearly you've upped the spring pack. I'm floored the wheel bearings and such have stood up to this abuse.
Congrats on the milestone.
thank you mogly!
Yeah well thats on the heavier side that pic, there some days of the week its only 2 rows in the box...probably not more than 400lbs. And yes its got a set of air bags for the rear
But yeah its stood up surprisingly well. I have done a front left wb btw lol

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Well I guess it's either a tuner can, or a new Cluster. Possibly you can find an alternative gauge to hook to the vss

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Halfbrit

TDI
03 jetta-sold, 2000 jetta tdi
thats great

congrats. what was your overall mpg on that setup?