Rocketchip MK3 ECU turbo issues UK

andrewjb

TDI
MK1 Leon FR+ TDI PD150
Hi All,

I own a 1990 MK2 GTI with AHU engine conversion, the car has the following added to it:

AHU engine, ARP head studs, SAAB FMIC, PD130 turbo setup, .216 nozzles, straight though exhaust and downpipe, EGR delete.

The ECU has a stage 2 rocketchip chip on it, the chip was added when the old owner was running a hybrid PD150 turbo.

The car quite often goes into limp mode, not sure if its just the car requesting too much boost for the stock PD130 turbo to flow or if the turbo is on its way out.

I'm really struggling in the UK to find anybody who can re-tune this ECU.

Does anybody know how the Stage 2 rocketchip tune will work with a BV43 PD170 turbo and .216 nozzles?

Andrew

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
I'm running a very similar setup with the the bv43 turbo and 11mm pump. I am working on fixing the little issues currently. you would need a new tune to fit either the vnt1749va (pd130 turbo) or the bv43 (Im using the CR turbo not pd170).

Honestly there is some smaller differences in the pd130 and pd150 turbos so I suspect your tune right now isn't optimized for the boost request vs. actual. Have you tried logging what you are seeing to see what the car is doing? what are the codes it throws when it goes into limp mode?

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
Where in the UK are you? If in the midlands I can help with getting some logs and working out what you need to do to resolve..

andrewjb

TDI
MK1 Leon FR+ TDI PD150
I'm running a very similar setup with the the bv43 turbo and 11mm pump. I am working on fixing the little issues currently. you would need a new tune to fit either the vnt1749va (pd130 turbo) or the bv43 (Im using the CR turbo not pd170).
Honestly there is some smaller differences in the pd130 and pd150 turbos so I suspect your tune right now isn't optimized for the boost request vs. actual. Have you tried logging what you are seeing to see what the car is doing? what are the codes it throws when it goes into limp mode?

I was told the CR turbo wouldn't fit or at least wouldn't fit with the PD130 manifold.

andrewjb

TDI
MK1 Leon FR+ TDI PD150
I now have these error codes:

EGR is fully removed so that just needs mapping out, I lost the throttle a while ago, fitted a new brake pedal sensor but error has never gone away.
Guessing the 3rd error is for MAP sensor?

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
MAP sensor Fault Looks like a wiring issue. Trace the wires back from the map to the ecu checking for damage. Also check each wire for shorts to ground or positive of the battery with a multimeter. And will likely be why the fault happens intermittently.

The brake pedal plausibility fault sounds like the sensors may not be working... Do you have both switches and a clutch switch. This thread may help.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=287699

Do you have obdeleven pro to log live data?

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
The RC tunes come in many flavors for both variable vane and waste gate versions. What is your ecu pn# and RC version ? Get a screen pic of vagcom/vcds ecu module and let me know what you sw you have. Jeff

andrewjb

TDI
MK1 Leon FR+ TDI PD150
ECU is 028906021ED
S 1444 VW Sofware number
000002 Software revision
H s3PC EDC 15P

I took these off MPPS when I tried to read the ECU.

andrewjb

TDI
MK1 Leon FR+ TDI PD150
MAP sensor Fault Looks like a wiring issue. Trace the wires back from the map to the ecu checking for damage. Also check each wire for shorts to ground or positive of the battery with a multimeter. And will likely be why the fault happens intermittently.

The brake pedal plausibility fault sounds like the sensors may not be working... Do you have both switches and a clutch switch. This thread may help.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=287699

Do you have obdeleven pro to log live data?
I do have OBD Eleven Pro.

Map sensor is on the ECU.

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
I'm just down the way in Brackley and do remapping
First thing I'd do is log boost and see how hard you're pushing the pd130 turbo
1.5 bar max is safe. You might be asking 1.8bar+ with a hybrid tune :(
Shame it's not a separate map sensor (it's built onto ecu)
I presume soldered on?

It may well be an upgrade 3bar MAP sensor if a hybrid pd150 has been run, although 10mm pump/0.216 nozzles wouldnt give enough fuel to need to run more than 1.5bar boost....

Has the ecu got sockets and chips? (most likely, otherwise the modified chips have been soldered back on)

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
That ED ecu supports oem Usa/ahu wastegate turbo. It is RC stage 3 and won't run right on your vnt-turbo based engine. It is socketed, but if you remap it with euro (vnt) afn110 firmware it will need the matching eeprom programmed also to work properly with immo deleted.
I offer this service every day. If you mix up wrong sw and hw you can expect problems. You can use a boostvalve to limit max boost at a minimum so you can drive it.
Jeff

andrewjb

TDI
MK1 Leon FR+ TDI PD150
That ED ecu supports oem Usa/ahu wastegate turbo. It is RC stage 3 and won't run right on your vnt-turbo based engine. It is socketed, but if you remap it with euro (vnt) afn110 firmware it will need the matching eeprom programmed also to work properly with immo deleted.
I offer this service every day. If you mix up wrong sw and hw you can expect problems. You can use a boostvalve to limit max boost at a minimum so you can drive it.
Jeff
Can had been running fine for 2-3 years previously, its not just been done recently. its just started playing up recently.

I'm not sure if the map sensor is playing up its giving an error code of 00519 manifold abs .press . sens short circuit to b+

andrewjb

TDI
MK1 Leon FR+ TDI PD150
It may well be an upgrade 3bar MAP sensor if a hybrid pd150 has been run, although 10mm pump/0.216 nozzles wouldnt give enough fuel to need to run more than 1.5bar boost....
Was told by old owner it is a 3bar map sensor from "Audi RS2" never seen the inside of my ECU.

andrewjb

TDI
MK1 Leon FR+ TDI PD150
god news the ECU is socketed

what is the map sensor? and best way to replace?

Last edited:

andrewjb

TDI
MK1 Leon FR+ TDI PD150
Anybody know of a replacement map sensor I can have resoldered onto the ECU that acts as a 3 bar one?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
More likely to be a solder point, got ya covered if you can't find one domestically. Please downsize those photos though :p