1752 hybrid on BEW?

faulknern

TDI
2004 BEW
Hey guys,

Currently doing some research on future upgrades for my BEW. First is going to be clutch and lsd, with turbo, exhaust and intercooler coming down the road.

I live in Canada so sourcing parts here is a plus. I came across this turbo but can't seem to be able to find much in the form of real world reviews. Can anyone provide some insight on this turbo? Is it a solid upgrade for the BEW? This is my daily driver so not shooting for the moon power wise. A reliable 150+ would be great. What is this turbo capable of?

http://www.chunkymonkeyparts.com/ALH-BEW-19L-TDI-1752-Hybrid-Turbocharger_p_491.html

Otherwise I do see that this website also has the darkside gtb1756 budget kit. Maybe that's an alternative for me although more $$$$$$. But if I'm going to be much happier it may be worthwhile.

TIA!!

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
That appears to be JB Morrison

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
For 150hp, I would go with the proven vnt-17 and a tune. Simple as that. Your left over $$ can be used for a larger SMIC. It is plug and play and supports 170-175hp running at 26psi

vnt-17 with all installation hardware (oil line, 3 bar MAP, gaskets, etc.) can be had for under $1,000 USD. It's an excellent daily driver

faulknern

TDI
2004 BEW
Vnt 17 is definitely an option I'm considering as well.

Still curious about this thing and where it falls in the turbo lineup though. I like to consider all available options before making a decision. Must be someone out there running one of these!

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Wouldn't bother with a SMIC at those power levels. IIRC, stock Injectors are only good to around 150 whp. Also, if you have some mileage on them, I'd say 300K plus, start saving for new ones. Mine had 380 on them and were done, put PD150's in and holy crap, new car.
Also, for a BEW, you'll need a tune to delete the electric turbo actuator, outlet pipe adapter and a different EGR pipe if you want to keep the EGR system.

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
vnt-17 with a Malone stage 4 tune is my favorite set up. Quick and easy 150-160hp depending on supporting mods. Maybe someone else will chime in on the turbo your looking at.

I went with Bosio PowerPlus 1043 nozzles on my daily driver and it was a major difference from stock. Easily maxes out my vnt-17. Another member put down 183hp with the same nozzles and turbo http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4888027&postcount=5

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Having a VNT-17/22 myself, I'd go with the budget GTB1756VK kit from Darkside if I could do it over again. This way if you get the itch to upgrade later on it's fairly easy to install some larger injectors and have your tuner retune your car for the upgrades you made.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
You should probably either save some money and go the vnt17 route. Or go all in and get the GTB1756vk darkside kit. I wouldn't go half way if you are going to pay big bucks. Personally I like supporting mods I would do the vnt17 and as many supporting mods you can afford. Sounds like you have some of the goods already planned clutch, lsd, intercooler. I would get injectors before going massive on the turbo, but this is just me. I also like full boost at 2k rpm so I guess I just like smaller turbos.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm surprised anyone still has that turbo. Parts for the cold side haven't been available for a few years. I ran one on my ALH for a long time and liked it a lot, but I think there are better options available if you want to go big.

I'd go with a VNT-17 and a Stage 3 tune with a 2.5" downpipe, no CAT, and perhaps a larger side mount intercooler. You'll get a solid 150 HP and the car will drive like stock until you put your foot in it. Also, that turbo is plug and play.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I'm surprised anyone still has that turbo. Parts for the cold side haven't been available for a few years. I ran one on my ALH for a long time and liked it a lot, but I think there are better options available if you want to go big.

I'd go with a VNT-17 and a Stage 3 tune with a 2.5" downpipe, no CAT, and perhaps a larger side mount intercooler. You'll get a solid 150 HP and the car will drive like stock until you put your foot in it. Also, that turbo is plug and play.
this has a billet wheel, so not quite the same as the old 17/22

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
But the compressor housing isn't available either. Wonder where that's coming form.

faulknern

TDI
2004 BEW
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the input. Also here is the explanation I received from the vendor in case anyone else is curious:

"Hello,

The 1752 hybrid, is basically just a 17/22 turbo by another name. Garrett discontinued making the compressor housing (GT22) and thus ended the 17/22 from Garrett. This turbo is manufactured by a Turbo rebuild shop in the UK, they never used the 17/22 terminology on that side of the pond.

I didn't want to confuse customers or miss lead them either into thinking these where the 17/22 from Garrett (well a Garrett distributor who was manufacturing them). These turbos at times can feature different compressor housings. Depending on what is available at the time of the turbo build. They will all still look like the picture, but some are from Volvo (has Volvo embossed on the housing) or can have a Garrett embossed, or just plain.

These perform just as the 17/22 Turbos do, both good and bad. I have had both. For the cost difference in a daily driver I personally preferred the VNT 17. In a BEW with a chip tune, and a VNT 17 150hp is possible on stock injectors. The turbo bolts on right in place of the KP - 39 with no fuss or mess. The 17/22 requires a custom outlet (from turbo to lower "pancake" pipe) hose, which can make life difficult.

Hope this helps a bit

Cheers"

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
Xman sells a 1756. I originally bought this turbo then changed my mind and went bigger. But its good to 210 bhp. May be a good option. Sopposedly does not get turbo creep like the 17/22 and has lower emp's as well, but flows mucj better and spools quickly.

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Thats because he upgrade turbine wheel .
And you can make large wheels in a small frame turbo this make things bad.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Depending upon the desired use, not all large compressor wheels in small frame turbos are a bad thing: I live at 4600 feet elevation and the air here is quite thin; even a standard vnt-17 wouldn't like being pushed at 24 PSI (corrected) all day long when needed. My 56mm comp wheel in my vnt-15 compressor housing provides boost just off of idle and solidly without surge to redline. My Stage 4 tune is more of a Custom Stage 3+ tune producing somewhere around 160 HP and that is all the power I really want as I am not interested in breaking parts on a regular basis. Had my HP goals been somewhere in the 200 HP range, then the turbo I have would have been the wrong one for the application. Sometime long ago, Charlie commented that a 17/56 using a vnt-15 cold side could be a great turbo, but I am sure his comment was application specific as well.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Running the same 17/56 as above at sea level, no surge, runs great!

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have not yet had the opportunity to take my Jetta down to sea level for a couple of days to see what she will do with a 24 PSI hot tune and all the fuel she will take. I will imagine at sea level she will likely spool even faster than she does now, and I don't quite know how that can be possible but I am sure ready to find out. :)

EDIT: the 17/22 (17/52) that originally came on the VW Transporters was known for surge issues simply due to the design of the snail and compressor wheel. It was for a work truck and the boost island wasn't really compatible for high performance applications. A vnt-17 with a 52 mm compressor wheel upgrade is an entirely different beast and is not prone to surge as I believe the A/R is a lot smaller than the A/R of a standard 17/22.

Last edited: