Lost my Best Friend yesterday........

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
Awe, he looks like a nice dog. Congrats Tomo! One big lug needs another and he looks like he fits the bill. :)

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
The second I saw the picture I knew he was a Neapolitan mastiff & a gorgeous one @ that. Family had 2 when I was growing up & knew when I had a house / yard large enough for a dog that big I was going to get one. I got an english mastiff pictured below in the backseat of my Jetta. They gave him less than 5% chance of living when I had only had him for 3 days as he was very sick. Lots of $$$ later he made it & is my best friend - swear he knew I fought for him! I couldn't imagine loosing him then, nevermind now. He's healthy & almost 3 now! He's well over 200 lbs & loves to sleep in the jetta even though he doesn't fit very well.

Jetta:

On the Couch:

Sorry for your loss & glad you found a new pal. you did a great thing taking "rescue" dog, hope he brings you many years of joy!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
The second I saw the picture I knew he was a Neapolitan mastiff & a gorgeous one @ that. Family had 2 when I was growing up & knew when I had a house / yard large enough for a dog that big I was going to get one. I got an english mastiff pictured below in the backseat of my Jetta. They gave him less than 5% chance of living when I had only had him for 3 days as he was very sick. Lots of $$$ later he made it & is my best friend - swear he knew I fought for him! I couldn't imagine loosing him then, nevermind now. He's healthy & almost 3 now! He's well over 200 lbs & loves to sleep in the jetta even though he doesn't fit very well.

Jetta:

On the Couch:

Sorry for your loss & glad you found a new pal. you did a great thing taking "rescue" dog, hope he brings you many years of joy!
Stubby was sick 3 days after we got him and I bonded with him that way when he was a Pup and I will always miss him! Griff is a great Pup!
your dog is Beautiful! Griff fits great in the back of the Sportwagen:p

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
hope you're feeling a little better, tomo. We need a thread like this to be reminded we're all human. Thanks for sharing.

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
Tomo,

Very sorry to learn of your loss. Dogs ARE man's best friend. Very glad to learn you are the proud parent of a new pup! (and that you didn't wait too long to find him).

Scott

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
"Griff" is a very handsome young man! he is 8 months old and now weighs 123 pounds and loves to ride in the JSW just as "Stubby" did!

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
This is "Griff" he is a 7 month old Neapolitan Mastiff. We went to Michigan last weekend to pick him up from his owner who could not keep him.......He is a Sweet young man and will help in the Healing process!
Stubby will always be with me
Tomo, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, we lost our cat after a long battle with renal failurea few years ago. It was VERY difficult for my wife and I. I couldnt imagine how much harder it would have been had it been sudden and unexpected.

Looks like youve gotten a new fellow in your life now though. Nice pic by the way..... He is sportin a bit of a redrocket there..... :eek:

mod

TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Wagon
No dogs here, but I'd be a wreck if our kitty died - she's a sweetheart and surprisingly good company - so I feel for you...

noplug

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Sorry to hear about your loss..

Dog spelled backwards is 'GOD'.
Man's best friend!
I've lost two wonderful pups in the last two years, Mandy, and Ty.:(
Mandy was a huge Akita and died of bloat before I could get surgery for her.:(
Ty was a 15yo lab/greyhound mix and she had a wonderful life and with renal failure I had to put her to sleep.:(

Anyway congrats on your new puppy!!:D
May he and you enjoy many great times together!:D

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
No dogs here, but I'd be a wreck if our kitty died - she's a sweetheart and surprisingly good company - so I feel for you...
I still get very emotional at times.....
"Griff" is 11 months now and already weighs 20 pounds more than "Stubby" ever did! and he is a puppy..... so he is into everything!....
he does help with healing though!

Last edited:

Haiku TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Tomo --

Know that you have many good friends in your life - both human and animal.

I am sure Stubby is happy to know that you have rescued one of his friends and can continue to share your love.

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
155 pounds! Looks like it's time for a Touareg TDI! :) Griff - what a great name! Glad to hear he is doing so well.

BMLO13

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagon
"And many of the souls were attended by
strange, but charming little forms,
which seemed familiar.
And I asked my guardian angel what
they were.
He answered: 'Those are the souls of the
loving, faithful little dogs which, in
Heaven, have sought out and found,
their masters'."

Martin Harvey

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
Tomo, I'm very, very sorry tho hear about Stubby. What a beautiful dog. I'm sure that he loved you as much as you loved him. Sounds like he lived a really great life being with you, which is something to be grateful for.

It will take some time, but after a while you may want to think about having another dog.

Rocketeer, may I please have your address?

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Griff is 150 pounds....he has Epilepsy....his seizures are terrible and very hard to take.
Tom,

I had to put my best friend down almost ten years ago now. I was working on a motorcycle, I drained the coolant and left it sitting on the ground. I remember telling my dog "no" when he went to smell it. He had such an amazing ability to communicate and understand human words that he didn't go anywhere near the coolant until after I went inside. I meant to come right back out, but I got side-tracked by something trivial... I don't remember what.

The next morning I noticed that he was sick. The following days were extremely traumatic for both of us, until I finally made the right decision and put him down. I failed many of my classes that semester; I couldn't bring myself to do anything and school/work wasn't about to allow grieving for a dog. I didn't even care; I still don't care. It would have been very sad if he had just died of something naturally, but I was entirely responsible for his early demise. It was very, very hard.

For 4-5 years, not one day went by without me thinking about him. It was the first thing I thought of when I woke up, and the last thing I would think of when I went to sleep. He was by far the most amazing animal I had ever met. I had rescued him at 1.5yrs old from a home that had him in a cage in the basement with a collar that would shock him if he barked. He was too "high energy" for his owners. Within the first 2-3 months I had him off his leash walking around town with me. He was brilliant.

Tom, I'm so sorry to hear that you've got another sick dog on your hands. What a bummer.

I'm not particularly religious, but when I hear about your second sick dog I am reminded of a passage from the Bible:

"God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength but with your testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it" (1 Corinthians 10:13)

I hope you and your vet can find a way to reduce his seizures. Have you/your vet tried anti-seizure medicine yet? I went looking to see if the ketogenic diet is helpful for dogs (it's not), but I did find a source that mentioned progesterone as an anticonvulsant.

Peace to you and Griff...

Last edited:

mdtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta tdi "Blue Bob"
We just recently added a dog to our family only two months ago. Yet it feels as he has always been part of the family.
Take care

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
I read this thread when you wrote it. Sad then, sad now. May i suggest a dog food that does not use wheat? Try a lamb and rice formula. Many human issues can be attributed to diet, and canines are pretty close to us digestively speaking.