MkV / MkVI Bluetooth FAQ (Updated 12/30/2010)

Starbucker

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan DSG
740GLE said:
I have an LG Chocolate Touch and when I tried sending my contacts via bluetooth (i updated the bluetooth id so it reconnizes it now as skoda) it says I need to disconnect from the bluetooth device, like it can't send it over. I remember someone else having troubles with it.
My understanding is that the phone doesn't transfer anything over to the vehicle module, rather, it's reading the information on the fly. That's been my experience. Both my wife's and my phones operate identically. Which ever phone the car sees first, it tethers to and all the contacts, and other information is available. I've got a Blackberry curve and she has a Samsung slider.

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
Ok, so I am a new owner of a 2010 JSW, with navigation. And after reading the manuals and pressing the various buttons in the car that things are not fully functional. So after reading alot of posts here, and now becoming a member to this forum, let me see if I have this straight:

If I want the full range of bluetooth functionality (absent the streaming audio), I would need to buy a new bluetooth module (part 1z0 035 729 c I think?), have it programmed correctly for my car, install it, and then find a VAGCOM owner to reprogram my car to interact with the new module appropriately.

Am I correct?

Thanks all!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Starbucker said:
My understanding is that the phone doesn't transfer anything over to the vehicle module, rather, it's reading the information on the fly. That's been my experience. Both my wife's and my phones operate identically. Which ever phone the car sees first, it tethers to and all the contacts, and other information is available. I've got a Blackberry curve and she has a Samsung slider.
yeah, i think something is up with my phone setting or some sort then, as i can see the recent names off calls in the MFD, but when hitting the call button on a recent call from the steering wheel it says call failed, like the bluetooth can't connect to the phone, it's like 4/5ths of the way there. Also all calls displayed on the MFD are just phone numbers not the names in my phone book.

jeremy1701

TDI
2010 Jetta, 2002 Bettle
740GLE said:
yeah, i think something is up with my phone setting or some sort then, as i can see the recent names off calls in the MFD, but when hitting the call button on a recent call from the steering wheel it says call failed, like the bluetooth can't connect to the phone, it's like 4/5ths of the way there. Also all calls displayed on the MFD are just phone numbers not the names in my phone book.
What phone do you have?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
LG Chocolate Touch from Verizon

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
ramb02 said:
Ok, so I am a new owner of a 2010 JSW, with navigation. And after reading the manuals and pressing the various buttons in the car that things are not fully functional. So after reading alot of posts here, and now becoming a member to this forum, let me see if I have this straight:

If I want the full range of bluetooth functionality (absent the streaming audio), I would need to buy a new bluetooth module (part 1z0 035 729 c I think?), have it programmed correctly for my car, install it, and then find a VAGCOM owner to reprogram my car to interact with the new module appropriately.

Am I correct?

Thanks all!
If the module purchased is coded correctly you do not need to have VAGCOM handy for it to work.
I got one off Fleabay for $300, plugged it in and everything works except the voice command button on the steering wheel and the control module in the ceiling of the car does not function any more except for microphone. (no AD2P) but it is functional.

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
woofie2 said:
If the module purchased is coded correctly you do not need to have VAGCOM handy for it to work.
I got one off Fleabay for $300, plugged it in and everything works except the voice command button on the steering wheel and the control module in the ceiling of the car does not function any more except for microphone. (no AD2P) but it is functional.

Thanks for the info!

mikecheck

TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 6 speed
woofie, when you got the 9w3 and replaced your 9w2, did you have to run the new 9w3 microphone and antenna or did you just plug the old ones into the new module?

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
mikecheck said:
woofie, when you got the 9w3 and replaced your 9w2, did you have to run the new 9w3 microphone and antenna or did you just plug the old ones into the new module?
It was a simple plug in of the module. I did not have to change the wiring or microphone, nor have I adjusted the Vagcom coding of the steering wheel yet.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
my friends Motorola Driod paired fine, all contacts transfered over, i was able to call out from the steering wheel, so i guess verizon neutered my LG or I need to find some hidden check box some place.

I stopped by the local verizon store, they were clueless, they said to stop by when their ubber geek was in and he'd love to look into it.

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Over in the GPS forum I help run, we get VZ BT questions all the time. The consensus is that VZ does more to cripple BT on their phones than any other carrier. Theories abound as to why, but tinfoil helmet stuff aside [g], the fact remains that VZ phones can be a royal pain with BT.

With Garmin GPSes, it sometimes helps to delete all profiles and try the pairing starting from "the other" device, meaning phone first, car second if you initially tried it the other way around.

I also find my iPhone will once in a while fail to re-connect if the car is running and then I get in. If the phone is on, then I get in and start the car, it works 100% of the time so far.

-dan

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The BT menue in the car is pretty non exisitant, it's almost as if its always broadcasting for new BT devices. I'll give it a try.

Maybe there is some sort of software hack that can free up the phone.

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Don't have the book in front of me, but I think I recall my salesman showing me how to zero out the BT and put it in discoverable mode by holding a button in the roof console.

-dan

balocco211

TDI
2005 Wolfsburg TDI JSW; 2010 Poblano TDI JSW
Open a case with VW to Demand a Course of Action to Get VW to Respond

I opened a case with VWOA as I purchased a 2010 TDI sportwagon on 1/2/2010 and here in the people's republic of oregon - the Oregon Regulatory Statues 811.507 state:

811.507. { + (1) As used in this section:
(a) 'Hands-free accessory' means an attachment or built-in
feature for or an addition to a mobile communication device,
whether or not permanently installed in a motor vehicle, that
when used allows a person to maintain both hands on the steering wheel.

As I pointed out to VWOA, the JSW module 9W2 forces me to take hands off the wheel and interact with the phone and distract my attention. (Read: non-compliant with the spirit of the law)

I recommend that other owners with the "9W2" module contact VWOA at 800-822-8987 with your specific case and ask for the problem to be resolved.

There should be an easy fix if we on this side of the pond can let the VW techs in the white labs coats know we want a solution....plug in a play...

United We Stand!

(Thanks Google search engine and "starbucker")

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
I'm pretty sure that the law won't help you since it's not mandatory that you talk at all on your cell phone while in the car. The law will tell you that it's your responsibility as the driver to comply with the law and just because your car can connect to your phone via Bluetooth, doesn't mean that you have to use the phone. If you break the law by operating your cell phone in your car because the car doesn't have a completely hands-free Bluetooth device, the onus is on you. There are plenty of states where using a cell phone in a car without a hands-free device is illegal. There are also plenty of cars sold in those states that have Bluetooth devices similar to the '10 Golfs and JSWs.

I understand why people are upset and the fact that various other VW models do offer a completely hands-free Bluetooth experience makes the knife in your back twist that much more. But c'mon, filing a legal complaint against VW? Oh the U.S. and our ever more litigious society. Must we always blame someone else when we're unhappy?

I digress!

Starbucker

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan DSG
Pelican18TQA4 said:
I'm pretty sure that the law won't help you since it's not mandatory that you talk at all on your cell phone while in the car. The law will tell you that it's your responsibility as the driver to comply with the law and just because your car can connect to your phone via Bluetooth, doesn't mean that you have to use the phone. If you break the law by operating your cell phone in your car because the car doesn't have a completely hands-free Bluetooth device, the onus is on you. There are plenty of states where using a cell phone in a car without a hands-free device is illegal. There are also plenty of cars sold in those states that have Bluetooth devices similar to the '10 Golfs and JSWs.

I understand why people are upset and the fact that various other VW models do offer a completely hands-free Bluetooth experience makes the knife in your back twist that much more. But c'mon, filing a legal complaint against VW? Oh the U.S. and our ever more litigious society. Must we always blame someone else when we're unhappy?

I digress!
I believe the rub comes because of the complete lack of knowledge / and or avoidance of the issue from the VW sales staff in gerenal regarding the topic. I asked a number of them at different dealerships about the functionality and they all had no idea and/or would refer you to the manual (which BTW, implies that you will have data on the MFI and had me thinking I was doing something wrong by not being able to select it myself until I stumbled onto this thread). Put a prospective buyer in the SW, show them all these neat controls on the wheel and the headliner, the buyer belives that they will have handsfree functionality. Couple that with, after the fact, they buyer finds out that the 2010 SW's have an inferior BT unit, it would piss me off also. If I had a 9w2, I'd just bite the bullet and purcase a new 9w3 module, but it wouldn't feel good.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Starbucker said:
Put a prospective buyer in the SW, show them all these neat controls on the wheel and the headliner, the buyer belives that they will have handsfree functionality.
Hopefully this buyer will take a test drive of the car and test out ALL the features that she finds important and will be using, I know I did. As soon as I drove away from the dealership I pulled into an empty lot and synced up the bluetooth on my '09 Sedan. I had to look in the manual to see how it worked, and I found out what it did and did not do.

Honestly, only the most anal of anal people are going to be barking about this. Enthusiast sites just happen to be where these anal folk gather and this is where the rub is. Honestly, 9 out of 10 drivers probably don't give a rats ass about the functionality of the BT system as long as it allows them to have a speakerphone converstaion in the cabin via some means.

If some trivial BT functionality is going to stop someone from buying a USD $25-30K car, then I think a priorities assement is called for. VW is not being deceitful or anything, they just have different levels of offerings.

mikecheck

TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 6 speed
my car had the 9w2 system with the roof buttons and limited functionality. i just bought the 9w3 system module on ebay from the same place others did in poland and had them code it for my car before they sent it, opened the box at the post office parking lot, leaned over to the passenger seat, unplugged the 9w2 and plugged in the 9w3 unit, started the car, entered 1234 on my phone for bluetooth pairing, and by the time i got 2 miles down the road the mfd had sync-ed with all 2500+ contacts in my phone, showed all my recent/missed/dialed phone calls and was ready to make a call. was worth the $300 plus shipping! has been working great. of course, it would have been nice to have this system from the factory. overhead console buttons and led don't operate now...i kind of liked the flashing led that indicated when your phone was paired-steady green, when active call-flashing green and when not paired-yellow...minor thing but i thought it was pretty cool and helpful to keep track of phone status...

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
mikecheck said:
my car had the 9w2 system with the roof buttons and limited functionality. i just bought the 9w3 system module on ebay from the same place others did in poland and had them code it for my car before they sent it, opened the box at the post office parking lot, leaned over to the passenger seat, unplugged the 9w2 and plugged in the 9w3 unit, started the car, entered 1234 on my phone for bluetooth pairing, and by the time i got 2 miles down the road the mfd had sync-ed with all 2500+ contacts in my phone, showed all my recent/missed/dialed phone calls and was ready to make a call. was worth the $300 plus shipping! has been working great. of course, it would have been nice to have this system from the factory. overhead console buttons and led don't operate now...i kind of liked the flashing led that indicated when your phone was paired-steady green, when active call-flashing green and when not paired-yellow...minor thing but i thought it was pretty cool and helpful to keep track of phone status...

Do your steering buttons or voice command work? Or do you have to access the dialing directory by the nav screen??

Dieseltoys

Vendor
TDI
Toyota Diesel
My 2010 Jetta tdi sedan works great with the iPhone. The only issue I have is the ringer on the system (not the iphone's) is extremely loud when I get a call. Is there a way to turn this off or down substantially? The voice control "woman" is also loud. It's startling when you're driving down the road and you get a call...

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
I love my 2009 JSW TDI with FISCON BASIC. MFD works great. Plus a EFA shows boost pressure and oil temp. I use the wiper stalk to control the call.

Damn True

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
I was really disappointed to learn that my '10 TDI JSW does not have the fully functional bluetooth fsystem. Despite instructions in my manuals telling me that this is the case, and being told by the sales staff I can only receive calls on the BT system. Putting the 9W2 system in the TDI JSW vs the 9W3 is BS.

I'm headed back to the dealer tonight to see if I can get this remedied.

In the even that I am shafted on this, can someone please reply with a source for the correct module? Can you get them from the dealer network here or do you have to order them from overseas? Canada?

Not happy about this at all.

Damn True

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
lordscarlet said:
How exactly were you "shafted"?
I think that there is at best a big mistake on the part of VW-NA if not intentional obfuscation of the features of their cars given that the window sticker, sales professional and owners manual all individually indicated that the car had the full bluetooth functionality despite that not being the case.

I asked the dealer to file a complaint to VW-NA to that effect. I feel that by virtue of the fact that every indication I was given told me to expect a certain feature that was not present VW-NA should provide a solution in the form of a coded and installed 9W3 module.

To which I am pretty certain someone will reply "Well you should have checked yadda-yadda." Seriously, I think that a customer has a reasonable expectation that the printed documentation and the explanations of the sales staff accurately represent the features of the vehicle without requiring me to personally verify each. I mean, they told me the engine is 4-cylinders.....should I have pulled the cylinder head to verify that too? Perhaps taken it to a dyno to verify horsepower and torque?

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
I can understand you feeling shafted. The brochure for the JSW is vague at best, and really doesn't make it clear that the Bluetooth system is a bit limited. Likewise, my dealer was also clueless about this fact, hell, they thought there was a CD changer somewhere in the car.

Damn True

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
While at the dealer this evening I looked at a couple of other window stickers in comparison to mine. There is no discernable difference between the description of the Bluetooth feature on 9W2 vs 9W3 equipped cars.

Seriously, how is the consumer to know?

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Damn True said:
Seriously, I think that a customer has a reasonable expectation that the printed documentation and the explanations of the sales staff accurately represent the features of the vehicle without requiring me to personally verify each. I mean, they told me the engine is 4-cylinders.....should I have pulled the cylinder head to verify that too? Perhaps taken it to a dyno to verify horsepower and torque?
That expectation strikes me as very reasonable, but ...

Given the century-long history of less than truthful representation of cars by salespeople, it is also the responsibility of the customer to carefully check what is important to him. If the engine is your top concern, then a road test would tell you, regardless of number of cylinders or manufacturer's claims, whether it has enough torque and HP to satisfy you.

Ditto Bluetooth. Two minutes with your cell phone in hand would tell the story.

A big issue for me was whether our dog crate would fit. Did I rely on the sales brochure or a "sure it will" from the salesman (based on how it fits in my wife's Passat)? Of course not.

-dan