need: "how to replace ac compressor"

el fuego

TDI
03 new beetle
i have a 2003 new beetle tdi, and for the life of me i cant seem to find a how to for this, other than spending $130 for a Bentley repair manual.

pls help.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Part of the problem is that the info will deffinitely be in here but it's trying to find it lol. I pressume you've tried the search? It doesn't always get you what you're looking for but sometimes with a bit of tweeking of the wording it can work. Have a look through these results and see if it might be in there.:)

http://forums.tdiclub.com/search.php?searchid=7397087

sasnydley

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
1st what are you replacing/ Is it the clutch or compressor? I am no expert right off. technically if you replace AC on these car you are "supposed to do Compressor, Condensor and Dryer, And Expansion block. I have done 2 cars by just having someone vac out system, Then replace Compressor and dryer, Then have system recharged. The is no need for a book to do that if you can Undo sepr belt- Unbolt AC and pullit out.

el fuego

TDI
03 new beetle
Im doing the compressor and dryer. And Well my tool collection it's still small, i dont want want to start the job and find out I don't have a special/rare German/vw bull**** tool/s for the job and be stuck half way through, my mechanic said it was all Allens or somewhat underneath. and I have a shop that will vac the system out for me and refill it when im done.

The 2 that you did, were they tdi's? What kind of tools did you use?

sasnydley

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Im doing the compressor and dryer. And Well my tool collection it's still small, i dont want want to start the job and find out I don't have a special/rare German/vw bull**** tool/s for the job and be stuck half way through, my mechanic said it was all Allens or somewhat underneath. and I have a shop that will vac the system out for me and refill it when im done.

The 2 that you did, were they tdi's? What kind of tools did you use?
You'll need some Allen wrenchs, And some metric wrenches. thats about it- You should get system vac'd to recover Freon. then when done get it vac'd again- To test if leaks then get it recharged.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
ElFuego,

You may want to do the expansion valve, and all other system O rings you can physically get to while you are in there. Cost of these items is minimal, and it would be a shame to finish the job just to have something leak, or not work properly. I did this on mine, and have been very pleased with the results. Make sure to get a good quality reputable part for the expansion valve though.