Sway bar bushing replacement 'How to'

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Sway bar bushing replacement \'How to\'

I assisted another member today to do some suspension work and thought I would document it for others to reference. Among other things, we changed the sway bar bushings. This is a common wear item on the MKIV chassis. You can tell you need new bushings if you hear a clunking noise when going over bumps or potholes.

Tools required:

13mm socket for removing the bushing clamps
16mm socket for undoing endlink (5/8" will also work)
Prybar or screwdriver for leverage.
Needle nose Vice-grips to squeeze new clamp (can also use a longer bolt instead)

Parts required:

2 bushings: 1J0 411 314G
2 clamps: 1J0 411 336D

If you have a pre 2002 car, you will need new clamps. They changed the design of the clamps & bushings, so just to be safe, get the clamps as well. 2002 & newer should have the new style clamps. You can turn the wheel & look into the wheel well to see what type you have if you are not sure.

Here is a picture of the parts. Old ones on the left & new ones on the right:

Jack up both sides of the car & secure with jackstands for safety. It is easier to do it this way since you need to disconnect the swaybar endlinks and it is difficult to do with pressure on it with one wheel on the ground. Once the car is up & the wheels are removed, disconnect the endlinks with a 16mm socket:

With both sides disconnected, the swaybar should move freeley up & down. Remove the clamp that holds the bushing with a 13mm socket:

Use a prybar or flat head screwdriver to remove the clamp from the old bushing:

Slide the bushing out & remove it from the sway bar:

Instalation is the opposite of removal. Put the new bushing on the bar. Some people like to apply some grease to the new bushing to keep the squeeking down. Just make sure you use a grease that is rubber friendly so it doesn't eat the rubber. Here is the new bushing in place:

Because the parts are new, the clamp is difficult to place over the bushing. Because the bolt is too short to fit just yet, the clamp has to be squeezed into place to allow the replacement of the bolt. Use a pair of needle nose vice-grips to force the clamp into place. If you don't have these pliers, a longer bolt can be used to tighten it down. Then remove it and replace with the original bolt. Here is the vice-grip option:

Now just tighten up al the bolts & repeat on the other side. The torque specs are as follows:

Bushing clamp: 18 ft-lb
Sway bar end link: 33 ft-lb

If anyone has any other suggestions or if I left anything out, please feel free to let me know.

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW stock:Totaled 2000 black Golf gls 315K : retired
Sway bar bushing replacement

Wingnut
Great work! I love having pics when someone is explaining how to do something! I replaced the swaybar links thinking this would correct the rattling in hy front end but now I have another thing to try /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Bill

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Sway bar bushing replacement

Yeah, do it. The job only takes about 30-40 minutes and the parts are only about $20-$40 (depending on if you need the clamps or not). There is no reason why this procedure shouldn't be done every 50k or so. It is a very common problem that many people just don't realize. I am on my 3rd set of bushings.

EDIT: I couldn't add these pictures to the original thread as it will only hold 10 pictures. So I am adding them here.

I got sick of replacing my bushings all the time, so I went with the poly ones this time. And since the kit came with the end link inserts, I thought I would add more pics of that procedure. So here they are:

First thing is to take off the end link. A 6mm allen & a 16mm (or 5/8") socket:

Then, to remove the old bushings, you need to remove the large bolt and the steel inserts. Using a socket larger than the part you want to push out, but small enough to catch the edge of the endlink, put it in a vice & press them out:

The bolt above, you just need the one socket as the bolt will push itself out. But for the side with the hollow insert, you need a small socket to push it through:

Now, you should be able to pull the rubber bushing out with a pair of pliers. If they are rusted in there, you can cut them out as you don't need them anymore:

Now you have an empty endlink:

Sorry about the switchewroo, but I took the pictures at different times and used a different set of endlinks for the install. But its the same regardles of which ones you use.

Apply the supplied lube to the inside of the end link as well as around the edge of the bushing:

Then, using the vice, press the new bushing into the endlink. This is trickey and you need a little patience. the bushing has to be perfectly square to the hole or it will slip out and go crooked. A tip I can suggest is taking a sharp blade & tapering the edge of one side of the bushing. It will force it into the hole much easier.

Now you have a completed bushing replacement on one of your endlinks. Repeat for the other side.

Unfortunately, I did this upgrade last year (sorry for taking so long to put the pictures up). So I don't remember the sizes for the sockets I used to press out the old bushings. But they should be readilly available in most standard socket sets.

Enjoy & good luck

Last edited:

brenner

Veteran Member
TDI
1960 mercedes benz 180db2001 jetta gls tdi silver,2000 golf gls tdi,2002 dodge 3/4 cummins ho souped up

I just did my 2000 golf on saturday. I had the new style bushings ,but re used the old style clamps, also the old links were plastic as opposed to steel/rubber on the new ones.Took some muscle grease to install the bushings,but the reward was awesome no more rattles &knocks,used longer 8mm bolts also,silicone dielectic grease made the installation easier too. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW stock:Totaled 2000 black Golf gls 315K : retired

OK guys,

I'm looking at impex and they list the 1J0 411 314g as a "mounting" and it is $5.71, they have 1J0 411 314t that is listed as the bar bushing. is the "T" version the same as the "G"?

Bill

twojettas

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta, Atlantic Blue; 85 Jetta TD, Dark Red

[ QUOTE ]
is the "T" version the same as the "G"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill,

Yes, the "T" version is the superceding part to the "G" version. Both of which require the new style mounting bracket as described above. I couldn't tell you what the difference is between the T and G, but I know the T works.
I just replaced mine last week. I am glad I did as the clunking I have had for the past few months is now gone.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black

Beautiful. I'll be doing this job soon.. thanks a million.

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver

Cool..thanks for that post guys....I would rather keep $100 in my pocket than give it to the local stealership...they want $156 to do this job.

sat2825

Veteran Member

I just had this done on my 2001 and the dealer covered it under warranty... They said that this is apparently a very common problem and they are fixing these free for people.
The new bushings are made with a different material which is more wear resistant and not as soft as the original rubber bushings. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver

well unfortunatly my 99 is quite a long ways out of warranty. How much mileage do you have on yours?

Darren_J

Veteran Member
TDI
MK 4 TDI

That's interesting the dealer covered it. A goodwill warranty or TSB? How many Km? Anyone know if there is a polyurethane replacement for these cars that might last longer or are they too harsh?

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black

Did this job this weekend. Once I had the car up in the air and the wheels off, I found out several interesting things:
1) 16mm socket didn't come with my Craftsman set. (d'oh!)
2) end-link nut was finger tight on the passenger side! (suspect this is the fault of the guy who put on the Bilstiens)
3) drivers side tie-rod (at least I think that's what it is, the steering-type-rod) had it's locknut completely loose and nowhere near the "outside" end of the rod, where I assume it should be because that's where it was on the passenger side. Alignment seems okay though.
4) it's really easy to accidentally cross-thread the swaybar bracket bolt if it's not quite "clamped" enough.

Fortunately, my roommate was handy to take me to the hardware store for a new bolt and a tap to fix the bolt hole.

Good news, the clunky-clank sound is gone!

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black

I did this maintenace and the result was terrific. buhybye clunk....I did it without removing the bar ends. I don't know why I didn't I just didn't. Its possible but not reccomended. I gotta believe its easier to drop the ends...Rob M Concord, MA

mpitts

TDI
Jetta 2000 Black

I got my bushings this week and am going to replace them this weekend. The dealer didn't send new clamps. I have a 2000 Jetta and thought I needed them. When I called to get them the dealer (service tech) told me that they replace bushings all the time and never use new clamps even on pre 2002 cars. I'm going to do this. I'll let everyone know if it works.

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver

I called to order the bushing from the dealer and they are back-ordered in my area. I guess I'll have to put up with the squeaks until they come in.

They had the bushing listed as 1J0 411 314T instead of G. I ordered them and they'll call me when they're in.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

How about this Poly kit? The kit is 15 bucks unlike the OEM bushings which are 15 each. Where do the other 4 small bushings go? poly bush

Dave
I am going to put a set of those in myself. That way I won't have to replace the bushings every year!!! The small ones are probably for the end links. 2 on each side.

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather

How about this Poly kit? The kit is 15 bucks unlike the OEM bushings which are 15 each. Where do the other 4 small bushings go? poly bush

Dave
I am going to put a set of those in myself. That way I won't have to replace the bushings every year!!! The small ones are probably for the end links. 2 on each side.
Wingnut, do you know if these bushings are the "new style". My OEM have the grooves in them and are not the smooth type.

Dave

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

I don't think it matters. Due to the nature of poly, even if the bushings are smooth, the grooved clamps will still hold it in place because poly is rigid and not squishy like rubber. It wouldn't work the other way though if the poly ones were the new style and the clamps the old. You would have to shave off the hump on the bushing I would think?

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)

I just placed an order for the kit. I'll be the guinea pig on this one..
I'll post my findings as soon as I install them.

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather

Pepper and wingnut
I emailed parts4vw and posed the question to them regarding the smooth or grooved bushings.
He said the poly ones in the kit are the smooth ones (i attached wingnut's pic) my clamps are the grooved ones.
Too bad cause I ordered them this morning along with a TT shifter

So anyone have a set of old clamps for sale, smooth ones

Dave

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

You shouldn't need the smooth style clamps if the bushing is smooth. The bushing will still be supported from lateral movement with the ridges on either side.

AVE_ENG

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Atlantic Blue

My maintenance manual (Haynes) says to replace the bolts in the link with new ones if they're removed. Is this really necessary?

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)

Only if they are stretch bolts. Those usually have a non-threaded stem between the head and the threads. I highly doubt that these are stretch bolts.

Besides, the dealers never change bolts, even stretch ones. Therefore, we should do the same...

EVONELLY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Touareg TDI

No need to be the guinea pig on this one now pepper10. I ordered the same bushing set and got it three days later. I only installed the main swaybar bushings yesterday as I did'nt have time to do the others.
The install of these was a little difficult because the poly bushings don't squish as much as the rubber ones do. It is a must have to get needle nose pliers so you can squeeze the clamp back into place. The ride is smooth now though, no more clunking.
I will do the other bushings after I get back from my vacation in 2 weeks. Sunny Okanagan, here I come. Later

AVE_ENG

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Atlantic Blue

Do poly bushings last longer, or are they just stiffer?

EVONELLY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Touareg TDI

They last way longer and are alot stiffer. The price is the same too.