Diesel Volvo Wagons (1980's, 240 models)

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Why are these so cheap still compared to Jettas and Passat TDI's? Is there something wrong with them or just undiscovered? I always thought Volvo made bullet proof engines.

Not to mention aren't the older Volvo engines made by VW anyway?

John Galt

TDI
96 Passat wagon
The Volvo 240 diesel was a 6 cylinder non-turbo made by VW as a truck engine. I had a friend who had one in a wagon, and I recall that it was pretty slow, compared to a Mercedes turbodiesel of the same era. They were only sold here for a few years in the early 80s, although I think there's somebody doing gas to diesel conversions with 240s from the 90s using the same engine setup.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Being a non-turbodiesel still doesn't explain the price difference. Nonturbodiesel Rabbit cars/pickups are even higher appreciated than Volvos and Mercedes.

You bring up the Mercedes turbodiesel...even they are priced pretty cheap compared to VW TDI's. I love VW and all but they really can't compare to the build quality of a Benz.

Am I missing something here? Just curious...

John Galt said:
The Volvo 240 diesel was a 6 cylinder non-turbo made by VW as a truck engine. I had a friend who had one in a wagon, and I recall that it was pretty slow, compared to a Mercedes turbodiesel of the same era. They were only sold here for a few years in the early 80s, although I think there's somebody doing gas to diesel conversions with 240s from the 90s using the same engine setup.

Pathfinder

TDI
none yet
MB vs VW vs The World!

Greetings!

I've spent the past year hunting for the correct diesel vehicle (it was just sold in Ontario) and there is certainly a substantial difference in price between the TDI's, Volvos, MB's, and even the BMW's. What I've come across is that it is the total cost of ownership. The TDI's and other VW diesels are dependable and fairly inexpensive to maintain. That cost is relative, of course. Compard to the MB's, the cost of maintainance of the ancilarry systems is much, much less expensive on the VW. A friend of ours drives a 1987 MB 300TD. Great vehicle, love riding in it. He has spent well over $ 10,000 on repairs in the past 2 years.

Timing Chain replacement $ 3500
Rear Suspension repair $ 3000
Transmission replacement $ 5000 ?
Brake work $ 1000 ?

You get the drift. So, when I see a beautiful mid-80's MB with "only" 180,000 miles on it, and I look at what systems on the car are going to need to be replaced in the next 30,000 miles, I have a hard time balancing out the difference in cost. Of course, Ted does not do any of the work on his vehicles. I do almost all the work on mine. Parts for the VW are an order of magnitude lower for the VW, too. I'll stick with the Passat, thanks :)

BoiseTDI said:
Being a non-turbodiesel still doesn't explain the price difference. Nonturbodiesel Rabbit cars/pickups are even higher appreciated than Volvos and Mercedes.

You bring up the Mercedes turbodiesel...even they are priced pretty cheap compared to VW TDI's. I love VW and all but they really can't compare to the build quality of a Benz.

Am I missing something here? Just curious...

muso

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Yep, what Pathfinder said. My understanding is that 80's era Benz turbo diesels are very very expensive to maintain. When I was in the market for a turbo-diesel, I chose a VW over a Benz because a good friend of mine who has owned several Benz turbo diesels showed me his repair bills. He could have purchased a 2nd vehicle with the $$ he spent on keeping his favorite car on the road...something like $10k over 3 years :eek: And he said that this wasn't unusual for these cars. So, why did he keep paying for it? Turns out that he used to build diesel engines when he was younger, and has become sentimentally attached to these cars...but is not healthy enough anymore to do his own repairs. But he loves ridin' in the Benz so much that he's willing to cough up the cash to stay on the road :)

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
The inline six diesel is a dog of an engine. They basically took the typical four cylinder and tacked on two more cylinders without changing the splash oiling. Often the last cylinder gets starved for oil and you're looking at a rebuild or worse. They got away with it on audi 5-cylinder of the same vintage, but the six was just a little too much. The thing also has two timing belts, etc. By all means if you find a cheap one it's probably worth it if you have the mechanical chops. But combine the low power with a very heavy wagon and you're talking about a boring car...

On the other hand, I drove one of the turbodiesel versions found in some of the 740's and that is bit more peppy and fun to drive.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Thanks guys that is exactly what I needed to know. I knew there had to be a logical explanation. =)

RunningSnail

TDI
2015 Golf SE
I own both an '01 TDI & an '84 MB Turbodiesel. It's difficult for me to suggest the Benz is more expensive to maintain, IF you do your own maintenance/mechanical work. The 5 cyl cast iron engine and W123 body series are extremely easy to work on. Parts are very plentiful. Much easier to work on & around vs. the TDI (and Jeep XJ of my son's).

I can't believe parts are more for the Benz than the TDI.

If you have a dealer do the work - sure, very expensive. Comparing a 20+ year old car to a current model car is difficult. The TDI gets much better mileage but as mentioned is much more expensive.