NorDak here I come!

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
We are moving to Minot this summer. Aside from placing and order with Frostheater, anything else you recommend to prepare my TDI for ND?

Would covet any other information about the area you may have.

Cold; I am aware of that. What sort of outdoors stuff is there to do? My main hobby is 4x4 (rock crawling), but I don't believe that area lends itself to this sort of hobby.

Thanks!

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A6 Avant BHW 6 speed manual, 2003 Golf ALH 506k miles
I recommend a set of four snow tires for winter. Salt is not used in ND as much as in Minnesota.

There are a lot of places for fishing there both summer and winter (ice fishing). I prefer Northern Pike.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I am thankful to hear that salt is used in moderation!

I am looking for a set of wheels to put some winter tires on. Any recommendations?

Found a good deal on some 18" detroits (what I am currently running), but I fear that is not a good size for winter tires.

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A6 Avant BHW 6 speed manual, 2003 Golf ALH 506k miles
I personally like the Continental Viking 7 (16"), I also have two cars with the Nitto SN2, but there are other good choices. The General Altimax arctic is a great tire for traction, but starts to get pretty loud as the tread wears down.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! I am running a set of 18" GTI Detroits now. And in my initial local search, found another set. I worry 18" is a bad size for snow tires, but there are some...
I want to avoid steel. Just not my style, but I do love to mix it up a bit, so I am keeping my eyes open for something different.

ramseygoat38

TDI
2013 Golf
I go for about the same size rim or an inch smaller and just get about any snow tire you can find. I have had good look with hancook and tiger paw. Any snow tire is better than any all season that's for sure.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Just picked up a set today that will become my winter set. Not what I was looking for but the price was right. Unfortunately they are another set of 18" detroits...

ramseygoat38

TDI
2013 Golf
Just got my set of winter wheels in a couple weeks ago. 17" with winter pirellis. Works like a dream.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk