Does 2009 ESC activation disengage the cruise control?

dave729

TDI
2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen
I don't mean simply turning on the ESC switch -- what I am asking is that if you are driving with the cruise control on, you hit a slick spot and ESC does its thing, does the ESC automatically disengage the cruise control?

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Activation of ESP (stability control) will disengage the cruise control. However, I don't believe that activation of ASR (traction control) will disengage it. I seem to recall playing with the cruise control in snowy/icy conditions just to see what would happen and recall the ASR light flashing and the cruise control remaining on.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
I'd say that you should re-think using cruise if you feel the conditions are going to cause ESC or ASR activation.

dave729

TDI
2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen
DPM said:
I'd say that you should re-think using cruise if you feel the conditions are going to cause ESC or ASR activation.
If the car's computer's detect an anomoly, it will react much, much faster than I would be able to in letting off the gas. Enough to make me wonder if in steady state rain driving at rural freeway speeds (which account for 75% of the 12k miles on my JSW since I bought it 6 months ago) I am indeed safer with cruise and stabilty control. Has anyone seen any research on cruise with stability control in wet conditions?

abarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1
I disagree, you're not giving yourself enough credit. The computer might be able to react quicker in a sudden event, but in the example you give I'd say you'd be more likely to detect an impending problem if you were running the go pedal yourself. I'll use cruise in light rain but any time it gets heavy I turn it off- the last thing I want is the computer thinking it needs to run wide open because its speed is falling off, when the reason the speed is falling off is because of hydroplaning. Additionally, there are a lot of low-traction situations where you might not want the engine to suddenly go into full overrun (aka cruse shutting off, 0 fuel requested and engine starts acting as a brake)... Just my .02.