2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Hold on -
you should get the first 2/3 upon completion of the 1st phase, and the remaining 1/3 upon completion of phase 2.

The fixes will need to be done at a VW dealership.Phase 2 has not been announced as available yet.This will probably take all day for the dealership to complete.
If you are an owner of such a vehicle prior to 9/2015, this would be true. If you recently purchased a 2015 TDI that was sold back to VW from a previous owner, then Phase 1 was already done (couldn't be sold without Phase 1 being done), and Phase 2 is out in the future, and you would not be eligible for a restitution payment on either of the fix phases.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Related question: I heard from my local VW dealer that the bumper-to-bumper warranty (now 2 yr / unlimited miles) on the 2015s is offered by VW, rather than any particular dealership. Does anyone know whether that would apply to a 2015 bought from a non-VW dealer? I'd love to buy a used 2015 TDI, and the best prices near me are all at non-VW places, but don't want to miss out on the bumper-to-bumper by going to a different dealer. If I could ALSO get the final 3rd of restitution by going to a non-VW dealer, that would be icing on the cake.
Are you talking about a new/never previously registered 2015 TDI purchase? Or are you talking about a used VW purchase that has a CPO warranty provided by the VW dealership? Or are you talking about purchasing an extended warranty at the time of purchasing the used 2015 TDI?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
That's the crappy part of GEN 3

2/3 then 1/3 at a future unknown date

And it is really not all that much money ~~ in total :(

Then there is the hassle with BOSCH for the last little $350:mad:

.... but you get an immediate savings by NOT paying TT&L on a new ride.

.... 'bout $1,000 if this Okie does the fix.

.... best part of the fix for this ol' geezer is keeping the DSG and the TDi

.... and the possibility of netting more than $25,625 (total) when I do sell it sometime in the future.

.... or at least getting more tech in the 2019 or 2020 Golf (S) and still ride free.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
740GLE, you have a 2015 Passet SEL Premium TDI. Is it manual or DSG? Have you had the Phase 1 fix yet? What do you think about yours - after Phase 1? Have you noticed any changes since the Phase 1 fix? What is your average fuel economy?

Sorry, it's a DSG, (no SEL with 6MT in the US) and we've owned it after the fix was preformed so I can't compare. I think we've been averaging 45, but I haven't been tracking it.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Are you talking about a new/never previously registered 2015 TDI purchase? Or are you talking about a used VW purchase that has a CPO warranty provided by the VW dealership? Or are you talking about purchasing an extended warranty at the time of purchasing the used 2015 TDI?
The second one - a used 2015 TDI. Ordinarily I would only expect CPOs to be available from VW dealerships, but these are not ordinary times, so I figure it doesn't hurt to ask, particularly since my dealer mentioned the 2-yr B-to-B warranty coming directly from VW, rather than the dealership. So basically, I'm wondering whether it comes with the fix, regardless of where you buy the car, or whether it only comes from fixed vehicles sold by VW dealerships.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
The second one - a used 2015 TDI. Ordinarily I would only expect CPOs to be available from VW dealerships, but these are not ordinary times, so I figure it doesn't hurt to ask, particularly since my dealer mentioned the 2-yr B-to-B warranty coming directly from VW, rather than the dealership. So basically, I'm wondering whether it comes with the fix, regardless of where you buy the car, or whether it only comes from fixed vehicles sold by VW dealerships.
It is my understanding (someone correct me if I am in error here) that a CPO is always a manufacturer-issued warranty extension. It's also a little different than a new vehicle basic (bumper-to-bumper) warranty on the VW side, in that each covered event has a $50 deductible applied before the warranty coverage picks up. Also a VW CPO has an additional limitation in addition to the 2-year period - it is limited to 24,000 miles (not unlimited).

Attached is a website link to the VW CPO Warranty booklet: http://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/PDFs/VW-CPO_Retail_Brochure.pdf

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I don't think he's taking about a CPO.

It sounds like he is curious what kind of warranty a post-fix 2015 bought from a non-VW dealership has in regards to warranty.

BarrieCommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
Any word on the Gen 3 phase 2 fix for the 6MT?

I’m at the point of signing the Canadian claim for cash option 3 ($7000 over two payments) but haven’t heard any timeframe for phase 2 to commence. We’re into the second quarter of 2018 so VW has already missed their mark for “early 2018”

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
no solid time frame for phase 2 has been announced.

Some dealers are reaching out to owners stating they will have parts in May and scheduling appointments. But I wouldn't be holding my breath on those exact dates.

olek911

TDI
2014 golf TDI sportswagon
Phase 2 started

My 2015 Golf TDI Sportswagon today went in for phase 2 fix. It will take 2 days and they gave a loaner. Apparently the fix instructions are over 40 pages long. It was the first fix done at that dealership in Florida

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
My 2015 Golf TDI Sportswagon today went in for phase 2 fix. It will take 2 days and they gave a loaner. Apparently the fix instructions are over 40 pages long. It was the first fix done at that dealership in Florida
So the Gen III (EA288 engines) Phase II fix is now available for MY2015 2.0L vehicles?

I'm traveling this week, but as of Sunday, I had not received any kind of notification this fix was available.

olek911, how were you made aware the Phase II fix was available and ready for your vehicle?

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
So the Gen III (EA288 engines) Phase II fix is now available for MY2015 2.0L vehicles?

I'm traveling this week, but as of Sunday, I had not received any kind of notification this fix was available.

olek911, how were you made aware the Phase II fix was available and ready for your vehicle?

It is approved and available. Yesterday I received a phone call from the dealer that did the phase 1 fix for my car to schedule phase 2 for next Tuesday.

If I had to guess, I would say either some dealers are more proactive than others about scheduling fixes, or it is not available everywhere yet and dealers are offering it as they get all the info/techs are familiarized or trained (hopefully) in the process.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
It is approved and available. Yesterday I received a phone call from the dealer that did the phase 1 fix for my car to schedule phase 2 for next Tuesday.

If I had to guess, I would say either some dealers are more proactive than others about scheduling fixes, or it is not available everywhere yet and dealers are offering it as they get all the info/techs are familiarized or trained (hopefully) in the process.
OK, so the notification process appears to be from dealers who did the Phase I fix. I live quite some distance from the dealer that did the Phase I fix, and it was done before I bought it, so I don't think that dealer knows where this car is and won't be contacting me. I was thinking VW would be doing the notification. At least I know now the fix is out there now and some dealers are starting it, so I'll check with our local dealer once I get back home.

Would be great if someone could start a new thread on post-Phase II fix install impressions.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
My dealer did ask if I received the phase 2 notification mailer from VW. VW must be in the process of sending out notifications but I haven't gotten anything yet. I would keep an eye on the mailbox if you dont hear anything from the dealer.

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
VW Phase 2 Notification Recieved

I recieved an emailed Phase 2 Notification today and set a dealer appointment. Hopefully I will get a loaner car per VW.

ntwrkd

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6spd SEL
Received this email today from the online claims portal...

The EPA and CARB have approved Stage 2 of the emissions modification for your vehicle. For more information on the Approved Emissions Modification, including information on what the modification involves, the impact (if any) that the modification will have on the vehicle and the terms of the extended emissions warranty, please click here.

What do I need to do now?

· If you have not yet registered an account and/or submitted supporting information and documentation for your claim to participate in the Settlement Program, you may submit a claim through the Online Claims Portal or the Paper Claims Form.

· If you already submitted a claim and selected Approved Emissions Modification as your remedy but have not yet received an offer letter, you do not need to do anything. Volkswagen will process your claim in the normal claims review process.

· If you have already received and accepted an offer letter for an Approved Emissions Modification and your signed offer letter has been accepted by Volkswagen, you may schedule your appointment for an Approved Emissions Modification via the Online Claims Portal or by calling your preferred dealer. If you have already received Stage 1 of the Approved Emissions Modification, you will need to return to your preferred dealer to receive Stage 2 in order to receive the balance 1/3 of the restitution payment.

· If you do not wish to participate in the Settlement Program but want to get an Approved Emissions Modification on your vehicle, you may schedule an appointment directly with your preferred dealer.

The Approved Emissions Modification has been made available in two stages. Prior to the approval of the second stage of the Approved Emissions Modification, eligible consumers participating in the Settlement Program received 2/3 of the payment amount to which they are entitled upon completion of the first stage of the Approved Emissions Modification. Now that the second stage of the emissions modification is available, eligible consumers will receive both stages of the emissions modification in a single appointment and will receive the complete restitution payment upon completion of both stages of the modification. Eligible consumers that previously received the first stage of the modification and the 2/3 restitution payment will receive the last 1/3 of the payment amount after receiving the second phase of the modification. If a consumer sells or otherwise transfers ownership of their vehicle before the second stage of the Approved Emissions Modification can be completed, they will not be eligible to receive the last 1/3 of the payment, but the new owner will be able to submit a claim and complete the second stage of the approved emissions modification to receive the last 1/3 of the payment if all eligibility criteria are met.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This email is being sent from an account that does not receive replies. For questions or other issues related to the Diesel Emissions Settlement, please visit www.VWCourtSettlement.com or contact the Settlement Support Team at 1-844-98-CLAIM.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Oddly enough, I went to claims portal and it says it hasn't been approved yet! LOL!

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Received the above email also so it looks like we can schedule the phase 2 fix (assuming phase 1 was completed).
I want to wait and get feed back here later from those who go first.
Right now I'm not sure I even qualify as I just am at 40,000 miles on my 2015 Passat.
I heard everything from it's relativity simple parts swap out to major front end disassembly.
I'll continue to follow this. There will probably be a new thread created for this.

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
What is the mileage trigger for replacing parts? I’m at 68000 on a 2015 GSW

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
The second part of the emissions modification will involve outfitting your
car with new emission control parts to ensure system reliability and
durability over time.
If your car exceeds 40,000 miles (for automatic
transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) we will install
updated emissions control system hardware - specifically a new Diesel
Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic
Reduction Converter - that is needed to maintain emissions
performance for the full useful life (150,000 miles) of your vehicle. As
part of the Phase 2 modification, we will also install a second NOx
sensor and corresponding software to improve the performance of the
OBD system. The Phase 2 updates are expected to have no further
impact on overall vehicle reliability, durability, fuel economy, engine
sound, performance, or drivability.
You will receive a notice when Phase 2 of the emissions modification is
available for your vehicle. You should expect to receive this notice
before June 30, 2019. If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than
40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for
manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will
need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time,
before it reaches 150,000 miles. We will notify you when it is time to
bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement.
These updates will be made available at no cost to you starting in early
2018. A complimentary loaner vehicle will be available for the duration
of this modification, which is expected to take approximately 9 hours.

I've only 40,000 miles on my manual. Guess they do nothing until I hit 70,000 miles?

ntwrkd

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6spd SEL
The second part of the emissions modification will involve outfitting your
car with new emission control parts to ensure system reliability and
durability over time.
If your car exceeds 40,000 miles (for automatic
transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) we will install
updated emissions control system hardware - specifically a new Diesel
Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic
Reduction Converter - that is needed to maintain emissions
performance for the full useful life (150,000 miles) of your vehicle. As
part of the Phase 2 modification, we will also install a second NOx
sensor and corresponding software to improve the performance of the
OBD system. The Phase 2 updates are expected to have no further
impact on overall vehicle reliability, durability, fuel economy, engine
sound, performance, or drivability.
You will receive a notice when Phase 2 of the emissions modification is
available for your vehicle. You should expect to receive this notice
before June 30, 2019. If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than
40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for
manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will
need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time,
before it reaches 150,000 miles. We will notify you when it is time to
bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement.
These updates will be made available at no cost to you starting in early
2018. A complimentary loaner vehicle will be available for the duration
of this modification, which is expected to take approximately 9 hours.

I've only 40,000 miles on my manual. Guess they do nothing until I hit 70,000 miles?
Very confusing. It appears we will at least get the nox sensor and the software for it if we are under 40k or 70k??? It's confusing because it states that they will replace the DOC a second time if you are below the 40k, 70k. It doesn't make sense to me. I read it as they don't replace anything if you are under the first 2 thresholds, so if they aren't going to replace any hardware until you get to 40k or 70k, why would you need another DOC? Can someone call or clarify this further. I think they totally botched those statements.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Does it HAVE to be to the same dealer that we had Phase I done at ? I'm getting ready to move 1100 miles away and was going to wait until I get there to have Phase II done.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
Very confusing. It appears we will at least get the nox sensor and the software for it if we are under 40k or 70k??? It's confusing because it states that they will replace the DOC a second time if you are below the 40k, 70k. It doesn't make sense to me. I read it as they don't replace anything if you are under the first 2 thresholds, so if they aren't going to replace any hardware until you get to 40k or 70k, why would you need another DOC? Can someone call or clarify this further. I think they totally botched those statements.
Totally agree. That's the most convoluted thing I've read in a long time. Obviously lawyers were involved.
But don't bother calling the claims hotline as they won't have a clue what you are asking them let alone a clarification of that drivel.
Probably just best to wait and see how it works out for those who go first. And with the final 1/3 of the restitution payment to be paid it won't be long before some will want it done.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Here's the deal.

If you decided to keep the car and get the fix and restitution, you will get the complete fix regardless of mileage.

If you bought a "buyback car", and are under the mileage threshold (40k miles for DSG or 70K miles for Manual), then you will get the second NOx sensor update. Once you pass the mileage threshold, you will be able to get the DPF, Catalyst, and SOC update.

If you bought a "buyback car" and are over the aforementioned mileage threshold, you will get the full update.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's the deal.
If you decided to keep the car and get the fix and restitution, you will get the complete fix regardless of mileage.
If you bought a "buyback car", and are under the mileage threshold (40k miles for DSG or 70K miles for Manual), then you will get the second NOx sensor update. Once you pass the mileage threshold, you will be able to get the DPF, Catalyst, and SOC update.
If you bought a "buyback car" and are over the aforementioned mileage threshold, you will get the full update.
Thanks for that Fixmy59bug.
I did not buy a "buyback car" so I should get the entire fix. But with only 40k miles on the car I want to wait as long as I can before getting the new emissions hardware.
I wonder what the final date will wind up being for have phase 2 completed?
Might as well wait until then. I see no need replacing the DPF and other stuff with only 40k miles if I'm going to keep it many years.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I bought a 2015 Passat that was traded in by the previous owner (not buyback). Phase I of the fix was installed before I purchased the car. Had ~39k when I bought it. Now has 40k+. What will happen when I bring it in for Phase II?

olek911

TDI
2014 golf TDI sportswagon
Gen 3 Phase 2 fix

The fix was completed on my 2015 Golf Sportswagon today. It took 1 day.
They installed new tailpipe and cutout and upgraded software. Mileage not appreciably different, still 42+.
Power down and mileage up from my 2014 sportswagon which I turned in to VW last year. There may be a different final drive ratio.