What did you do to your MKIV today?

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
I cleaned behind the fender liners today and there was a lot of dirt back there. In the middle you can see what looks like a stick. Well that is a 3inch bolt that is super rusty and somehow made its way in there.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
I cleaned behind the fender liners today and there was a lot of dirt back there. In the middle you can see what looks like a stick. Well that is a 3inch bolt that is super rusty and somehow made its way in there.
I plan on doing this in the coming weeks. The fender liners are pretty beat so it's probably gonna be rough. Per IndigoBlueWagon's advice I'm not replacing the foam insert when I do liners and I'm covering the whole area in POR-15.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
I plan on doing this in the coming weeks. The fender liners are pretty beat so it's probably gonna be rough. Per IndigoBlueWagon's advice I'm not replacing the foam insert when I do liners and I'm covering the whole area in POR-15.
Mine did not have any inserts. My picture is the passenger side, but the drivers side has a hole from the rust. I have coated it in rust reformer black spray paint. I plan to buy new rocker panels and cut/weld them in a year along with quarter panels that are the same color with minimal rust. The rest of my car is in really good shape and I only have 155k at the moment.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Not my MK4, but fixed stripped threads in my housemate's son's MK4 Jetta 2.0.

As a novice driver learning how to take off on an incline, he managed to lurch and jerk hard enough to strip the threads out of the motor mount bracket that bolts through the timing cover.

Instead of replacing the whole bracket (and having to remove the bracket!), we ordered a Timesert repair kit and 19mm long inserts.

The shank of the Timesert drill bit and shoulder reamer turned out to be barely larger than the large tap holder I own, so we had to get creative.
Using a ratchet, extensions, and a T55 socket inserted into a 3/8" drive 10mm socket, we were able to drill the damaged threads out, ream the shoulder, and then tap the new threads in the holes, all with the mount bracket still in place on the engine. Using a Big Gulp straw duct taped to a shop vac hose allowed us to clean out the holes regularly. (The straw also gave us a musical interlude, every time we turned off the shop vac!)

It's now reassembled, and the repair kit cost less than a new mount, as well as being on hand for any other 12mm thread repairs that may come up. (My TDI's motor mount being a prime consideration. It might get them "repaired" just as a preventative, when I have the mount off for the timing belt, soon...)

Last edited:

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
Something happened while I was changing the engine oil today. Notice anything missing?

Luckily, I had a rubber stopper that fits into the metal pipe. That will have to do until the new dipstick tube arrives.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
How did you lose TB teeth on a car being towed? :confused:
I was towing with the Golf, not actually towing the Golf.

We haven't removed the head yet, but we're pretty sure the valves are destroyed. In either case, I'll do a head rebuild with new valves, lifters, a new Franko6 camshaft. I figure I might as well, given how much I use the Golf (53K miles in 13 months of ownership).

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
PK was towing with the car then had to tow the car after the TB incident.;)
Yes, correct. It made for an interesting and somewhat f***ed up night. I waited about 2.5 hours for the tow truck, and then decided when he go there to have the car towed to Brian/Digi Sport in Denton. AAA wouldn't tow my trailer, even with the Plus RV coverage, because it wasn't a "recreational" trailer. So according to them, if I even had my mountain bike in the trailer, they would've towed it.

So after I cleared out most of my stuff from the Golf, the tow truck driver was kind enough to take me to Lampasas and back, free of charge, to pick up some Pizza Hut, water and beer (26 miles round trip). I then laid on the grain in my trailer, stargazing and getting a nice buzz while I waited about 2.5 hours for my mother to drive up with my JSW. Then hitched up the trailer and drove back home. The JSW did well without trailer brakes activated on the trailer and only hazards on, despite the total payload being about 2200 pounds.

Now, I'm looking at the stuff in my aforementioned post reply, which comes out to just under $4K. A lot of money, but I've already invested a lot in the car and obviously use it quite a bit, to justify the expense (plus I love my Golf).

Now I get to post in the "What did you do to your Mk6" thread, as I ordered the Westphalia OEM tow wiring kit to use until the Golf is back in service.

mathanz

TDI
2003 Wagon, auto, 127k miles
So after I cleared out most of my stuff from the Golf, the tow truck driver was kind enough to take me to Lampasas and back, free of charge, to pick up some Pizza Hut, water and beer (26 miles round trip).
I grew up in Lampasas and now live 45 min from there...small world! Really sorry to hear of your bad luck.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Changed the oil and filter in the Golf. Noticed a small split in the intercooler-to-EGR hose so replaced it with a spare (good to have a basement full of parts). The split hose was dated '98 so I guess its time had finally arrived.

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
Installed the trailer wiring harness using the repair wires and plugs to tap off of the back of the bulb trays and feed the powered converter. Slick.

Also replaced the locking wheel bolts and one oddball with regular wheel bolts.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
Replaced Large Radiator Fan + Front Brakes

I found out my large radiator fan wasn't working (original made in MX Temic) and replaced it with a made in China Behr. Hopefully I can get 13 years out of it too.

While I had the car up on ramps, I decided to change out my front brakes. I stuck with Pagid all around, including semi-metallic pads. I know ceramic pads are the recommended choice, however driving the freeways in So Cal have left me very satisfied with the performance of sem-metallic pads on the Jetta

My original rotors still had some life but again, 13 years of service is pretty darn good. Hope the metal in the Pagids holds up...probably not.

Last edited:

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
You know what, it's time I contributed to this thread.

I pulled the sunroof glass out of my Jetta, replaced the sunroof shade glides, and fixed one slightly peeled spot of fabric on the shade with a little rubber cement.

Wasn't too bad a job - only one glide was broken, the others were intact (not bad for cycling that shade a couple times daily for most of the past 15 years!). Had to drill/ez-out one the screw on the right front glide, but other than that, it went very smoothly. Didn't even take much to get things realigned properly either, to my surprise. Going to keep the three good glides and screws as spares.

I do have to replace the screws and nut-like-things that hold the wind deflector to the little metal tabs that hook under the roof lip, though - the screws are rusting a bit, and the tabs on the one nut-thing broke when I went to remove the deflector, so I had to grab it with pliers. Deflector's in the garage for now until I can source new hardware (thinking nylon screws/nuts, maybe), figure by next weekend I'll be able to source something that'll work...

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I pulled the sunroof glass out of my Jetta, replaced the sunroof shade glides, and fixed one slightly peeled spot of fabric on the shade with a little rubber cement.
It's time I contributed also. :)
Did you have to pull the headliner down also?

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
It's time I contributed also. :)
Did you have to pull the headliner down also?
Nope! just tilt open, pop off the two trim pieces on each side to reveal the 6 T-20 Torx screws (3 each side). Pull the torx screws, and lift it off.

Recommend tracing around the bracketry with a pencil, to help realign when you put it back in, helped me a lot.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Changed the parking brake cables on my housemate's 2001 Jetta 2.0, just to get it safely on the road and back out of the garage.
More fun with cable housings giving up and collapsing lengthwise, allowing slack and no brake application.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Nope! just tilt open, pop off the two trim pieces on each side to reveal the 6 T-20 Torx screws (3 each side). Pull the torx screws, and lift it off.
Recommend tracing around the bracketry with a pencil, to help realign when you put it back in, helped me a lot.
I want to take mine apart to clean the rear drains.
I think if I take the glass out I should be able to see on the sides.
Thank You

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Rotated tires and greased up the rear brakes. They are both pretty rusty and one was sticking a little. Hopefully this helps.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
Not today, but a couple days ago I did the "PD style" engine cover mod. It was pretty easy to do. Although, the stud mounting hole in the intake manifold was stripped out (that particular stud was missing, too... wonder why? ;) ). So I filled it with JB Weld. I didn't bother drilling and tapping, just stuck the new stud into the JB Weld while it was still liquid. I can't imagine ever wanting to convert back to the bolt-on setup.

Pro Tip: If you decide to do the PD style engine cover mod, get some grease and a small flat-blade screwdriver. Put a light coat of grease around the rubber grommets, and use the screwdriver to help coax them into the engine cover. That will make the job easier.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I pulled the injectors/nozzles and packaged them up and sent them to DBW to just be checked or be re-calibrated if needed. I had the injectors out in less than 15 minutes; thank God the bores were smooth and "loose" this time, last time they were stuck in the head quite solidly.

senso

TDI
Bora Mk4(ALH)
Last weekend, replaced the O-ring in the metal water pipe, what a chore!
And thanks VW for using a 7mm hex in the bolt that sits under the head coolant exit/coolant heating thingy, right next to the shifter cables, that also had threadlocker...

Then, replaced my driver window elevator, also fun, the aftermarket ones are taller than the hole in the door, so, throw it all in there and then fish the elevator guides to bolt them in place.

A pair of tires in the front.

The flex hose from the PCV puck to the intake was also craked.

A new window regulator switch assembly from swag because mine was behond broken and I had to remove it to replace the window elevator, so do it right then.

And an oil change with LiquiMoly and new Mahle oil filter.

And a big box with a thousand o-rings for my AC system,a new expansion valve and a new drier, still need to put those in with a new RCV valve in the compressor and hope that it will finally work after having the car for more than one year without AC.

All in all around 500€ all said and done thrown at the car in 2 weeks.

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
Was looking to advance injection timing before putting a tune on my Jetta and looks like I actually need to move it the other way! Always pays to take an initial measurement rather than assuming things were left where they should be.

[/IMG]

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Removed the Suplex towing springs on the wagon and replaced with regular wagon springs. Our camper isn't very heavy and the towing springs were raising up the back of the car more than necessary.

Unfortunately both rear calipers are dragging a bit so will need to sort that out. Not sure if the issue is with the caliper pistons, the sliders, the e-brake mechanism or the flexible lines. It's been way too long since the brake fluid was flushed so I'll start with that. The Golf has the same problem. I've never gotten the amazing miles/gallon that other members claim so maybe my poor brake maintenance habits are to blame. Will try to be more diligent about the 2 year schedule for changing the brake fluid.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Removed the Suplex towing springs on the wagon and replaced with regular wagon springs. Our camper isn't very heavy and the towing springs were raising up the back of the car more than necessary.

Unfortunately both rear calipers are dragging a bit so will need to sort that out. Not sure if the issue is with the caliper pistons, the sliders, the e-brake mechanism or the flexible lines. It's been way too long since the brake fluid was flushed so I'll start with that. The Golf has the same problem. I've never gotten the amazing miles/gallon that other members claim so maybe my poor brake maintenance habits are to blame. Will try to be more diligent about the 2 year schedule for changing the brake fluid.
It's quite possible that the sliders have gotten dirty and the grease is tightened up due to dirt dust and whatever else is in your neighborhood. I've had to pull mine apart and regrease them every couple of years.