Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

grey matter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Trendline DSG
Finally, it's done. From April 28 till this afternoon. Took the buyback with trade in on a "new" 2015 TDI Golf. Including the thousand from last year, it was an even trade in. Lots of self induced grief with the online portal, but it's over. Everything is payed off and I have a new 2 year old car. Drove the old car for almost 4 years and a 167,000 kms. It's over, it's over and I'm happy. Cheers

Last edited:

FreshBlather

TDI
2013 Passat
Many people keep forgetting.. our government doesn't give a rat's a$$ when it comes to the Consumer Protect Act(don't even know why we have it) and also ..when it comes time to take on any large corporations, our government will put their tail between their legs and run for the hills. This goes for every aspect of our government..from housing, automobiles, education, immigration etc,etc. It's an absolute shame, but the sad truth.
Actually, it's more like the government is just doing what its been told to do by the corporate elites that support them. Do nothing!

FreshBlather

TDI
2013 Passat
Has anyone who has looked into a CX-5 found out if you can order a diesel model at this time?

I have read that they are only offering it on the (highest) GT trim, at least at launch, which kind of sucks.

No. You can't order one at this time. Most Mazda salespeople i talked to don't even know it's coming. And the sales managers look like they dread the thought.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Yeah...might as well spend extra 4,000 grand and get an Audi.
Indeed, for me, the bottom end of the line is where the value is. Our '17 Trendline wagon, manual, with connectivity+ package, was $23,845 plus tax. Our TDI Ricepoint trade-in was $20,837, so $3k plus tax and transport out the door. All told, $6800 cash for tax, transport and the difference between the two cars. Not a bad deal, the wagon looks sharp and has everything I could possibly need, and then some, in a car. Identically equipped to my '16 Golf hatch actually.

I'd never spend $40k for any SUV from an "ordinary" brand, and I'd never spend extra just for a "prestige" nameplate.

Both our cars are paid for cash. Two well-equipped late-model cars on warranty, zero car payments, zero hassles.

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
Is it strictly up to the dealership if they accept (or not) the "Ricepoint" cheque towards the purchase of the new Audi/VW car when exchanging cars?

Last edited:

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
Is it strictly up to the dealership if they accept (or not) the "Ricepoint" cheque towards the purchase of the new Audi/VW car when exchanging cars?
I think it is entirely up to the dealer. You should probably ask, or be prepared to wait out a bank hold of 5 business days.

My bank wanted to put a hold on the cheque, but I pointed out that I have assets in investing accounts that the bank could seize under the terms of my agreement with them. They did not put a hold on the cheque. But I planned for a 5 day hold in case they did.

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
I think it is entirely up to the dealer. You should probably ask,
Thanks for confirmation. My friend ran across this recently when he asked the AUDI dealership about the upcoming "buyback" cheque and he was told that they would not accept the endorsed RP cheque. But I see in this thread that some dealerships have taken it :confused:. Given the commonality of these cheques it would seem that there should have been some directive from VWoC having dealers accept these endorsed cheques?

CDN_TDi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDi (sold) | 2011 GSW TDi (turned in)
I think it is entirely up to the dealer. You should probably ask, or be prepared to wait out a bank hold of 5 business days.
My bank wanted to put a hold on the cheque, but I pointed out that I have assets in investing accounts that the bank could seize under the terms of my agreement with them. They did not put a hold on the cheque. But I planned for a 5 day hold in case they did.
This comes down to the internal policy of the bank/financial institution in question - whether that's the dealer's bank or your bank regarding endorsement, holds, etc. For my buy back with trade in, I was fortunate my dealer's bank permitted cheque endorsement. Good luck with your claim,

CDN_TDi

TDI
Thanks for confirmation. My friend ran across this recently when he asked the AUDI dealership about the upcoming "buyback" cheque and he was told that they would not accept the endorsed RP cheque. But I see in this thread that some dealerships have taken it :confused:. Given the commonality of these cheques it would seem that there should have been some directive from VWoC having dealers accept these endorsed cheques?
Unfortunately third parties like VWoC or others have little influence on bank/financial institution policies.

Best we can do is ask the right questions in advance to best prepare for the surrender/turn-in appointment. Good luck,

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
This comes down to the internal policy of the bank/financial institution in question - whether that's the dealer's bank or your bank regarding endorsement, holds, etc. For my buy back with trade in, I was fortunate my dealer's bank permitted cheque endorsement. Good luck with your claim,
Nah, it is up to the dealer only. If dealer wants to accept an endorsed cheque that dealer's bank will hold for 5 days, that is the dealer's pregrogative.

An interesting issue that arises in these trade-ins, is that at some point VW corporate is writing a cheque to the dealer for the difference between the 2015 value and the current value. There are a number of dealers who think that is not going to go on forever, especially if VW ends up paying large fines or offering large incentives in Yurp. The dealers here could end up taking a haircut.

Just to say that any holdouts may wish to consider doing whatever transaction you want to do, as fast as you can.

Last edited:

CDN_TDi

TDI
Nah, it is up to the dealer only. If dealer wants to accept an endorsed cheque that dealer's bank will hold for 5 days, that is the dealer's pregrogative.

An interesting issue that arises in these trade-ins, is that at some point VW corporate is writing a cheque to the dealer for the difference between the 2015 value and the current value. There are a number of dealers who think that is not going to go on forever, especially if VW ends up paying large fines or offering large incentives in Yurp. The dealers here could end up taking a haircut.

Just to say that any holdouts may wish to consider doing whatever transaction you want to do, as fast as you can.
Correct, banks/financial institutions set policy not the dealer. Per earlier posts, ensure terms are in writing on Offer to Purchase contract - that's the best leverage for us owners.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
There is also the chance that the bank doesn't accept endorsed checks, there's no 'rule' in Canada to force or deny them - it's up to the bank/branch.

So if the dealer knows their bank won't accept it, they won't.

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDi Malone Stage 2, Rawtek.
Questions for those that have been through the buy back process. Bought our sig jetta on September 11, 2015, brand new 34kms on it, financed through VW Canada. The buy back value listed by CBB (based on Sept 15, 2015) 4 days later.... are significantly different. Anyone in a similar situation challenge the assessed value for the buy back?

thank you for any suggestions.

j

Last edited:

CDN_TDi

TDI
There is also the chance that the bank doesn't accept endorsed checks, there's no 'rule' in Canada to force or deny them - it's up to the bank/branch.
So if the dealer knows their bank won't accept it, they won't.
Facts, ecode knows. Bank is dog, dealer the tail.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
I was lucky enough that the bank teller who was depositing the Rice cheque into my account...went through a buy back herself earlier in the month and knew exactly what this was.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Questions for those that have been through the buy back process. Bought our sig jetta on September 11, 2015, brand new 34kms on it, financed through VW Canada. The buy back value listed by CBB (based on Sept 15, 2015) 4 days later.... are significantly different. Anyone in a similar situation challenge the assessed value for the buy back?

thank you for any suggestions.

j
There isn't one.

It sucks, but a) you can't opt out anymore, and b) the only mechanism to appeal is to appeal based on an incorrect calculation, not a value. In fact, the documents state very specifically that values can't be challenged.

So, you paid retail, and are only getting back wholesale - something we all pretty much expected when the settlement was struck.

Blame the lawyers, basically.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Worked for TD Bank for far too long in my university years.... been on the end of way too many issues with post dated checks getting cashed, holds, credit etc... Glad I'm out but man did I learn a lot about the Canadian banking system and how to launder money.... j/k.

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDi Malone Stage 2, Rawtek.
There isn't one.
It sucks, but a) you can't opt out anymore, and b) the only mechanism to appeal is to appeal based on an incorrect calculation, not a value. In fact, the documents state very specifically that values can't be challenged.
So, you paid retail, and are only getting back wholesale - something we all pretty much expected when the settlement was struck.
Blame the lawyers, basically.
Thanks for the clarification. Seems I miss read documents, thought it said at offer letter time you can challenge the offer (with assessor I.e., Rice point) and if not satisfied after that then you can go to court arbitration, and that costs $150.00 for submission.

My issue is based on the calculation for sure.... huge hit in 7 days, (price paid Sept 11 versus Sept 18 valuation)....ridiculous. And the Phase 1 so called fix for our car has been really disappointing, noticeable drop in felt power especially 4,5,6 gears, drop in fuel economy too. Then the uncertainty for Phase 2, good luck to all those that are keeping, buying the 15's.

thanks again.

j

Last edited:

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
These days, what the dealer deposits probably isn't even looked at by the banks. The dealer has a humongous credit line with their bank so anything they deposit has no hold by the bank. So the dealer not accepting the Ricepoint cheque is completely stupid. I didn't even have a discussion about that with my dealer, they just automatically got me to sign it on the back. If a cheque they deposit gets returned, they just charge it back to the dealer. Banks watching what gets deposited by the dealer only happens when a dealer is a high credit risk.

if you take your Rice Point cheque into the bank to deposit it, a hold will apply, subject to normal bank rules and policies. One thing you can do to get around a hold is deposit the funds to a credit line if you have one and then transfer funds into whatever account you want, if you have credit line room, a hold won't effect you.

Phatburner

TDI
2013 TDI wagon
if you take your Rice Point cheque into the bank to deposit it, a hold will apply, subject to normal bank rules and policies.
In my case the bank didn't hold my cheque for over $16k. I have been a customer with that bank for many moons though.

Glad it's over. I was a little disgusted with the dealership though. As soon as I walked in for my appointment and the receptionist asked how she could help me, everything changed when I announced I was here for my buy back appointment. It was quite visibly obvious how dealership staff were 'studiously ignoring' me. They had the buyback agent stuck at a small table as far away from everyone as possible and ironically there was a "clean diesel" poster still flying on the divider behind him. The court appointed agent was very nice and efficient and I was done in no time but when I stood up and asked in a voice that could be overheard, "isn't anyone from this dealership going to look me in the eye and offer an apology for what this company has done to us?" He just shrugged and shook his head. When I looked around the room everyone had their head down as if they were so immersed in their work. It looked to me like a pack of dogs with tails between their legs.

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
In my case the bank didn't hold my cheque for over $16k. I have been a customer with that bank for many moons though.

Glad it's over. I was a little disgusted with the dealership though. As soon as I walked in for my appointment and the receptionist asked how she could help me, everything changed when I announced I was here for my buy back appointment. It was quite visibly obvious how dealership staff were 'studiously ignoring' me. They had the buyback agent stuck at a small table as far away from everyone as possible and ironically there was a "clean diesel" poster still flying on the divider behind him. The court appointed agent was very nice and efficient and I was done in no time but when I stood up and asked in a voice that could be overheard, "isn't anyone from this dealership going to look me in the eye and offer an apology for what this company has done to us?" He just shrugged and shook his head. When I looked around the room everyone had their head down as if they were so immersed in their work. It looked to me like a pack of dogs with tails between their legs.
Very petty behaviour from the dealer's personnel. Although, in all fairness, they were cheated as well by greedy corporate decisions.

I have my return scheduled for this Saturday. Hope that everything goes smoothly.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
From what I've read the dealership staff are not permitted to approach anyone who is there for a buyback unless that person approaches them directly.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Not really true across the board .... the dealership people will be there to help the appointed person to receive the car from you ... as we all as strip the plates.

It's not as strict as one might think. Although, I am sure the experiences can wildly differ depending on a dealer.

CDN_TDi

TDI
These days, what the dealer deposits probably isn't even looked at by the banks. The dealer has a humongous credit line with their bank so anything they deposit has no hold by the bank. So the dealer not accepting the Ricepoint cheque is completely stupid. I didn't even have a discussion about that with my dealer, they just automatically got me to sign it on the back. If a cheque they deposit gets returned, they just charge it back to the dealer. Banks watching what gets deposited by the dealer only happens when a dealer is a high credit risk.
if you take your Rice Point cheque into the bank to deposit it, a hold will apply, subject to normal bank rules and policies. One thing you can do to get around a hold is deposit the funds to a credit line if you have one and then transfer funds into whatever account you want, if you have credit line room, a hold won't effect you.
Happy things worked out in your situation NSTDI. Please don't talk $hite here when you don't have the facts. VW owners:
-confirm with the dealer's office manager (not just your rep) if you can endorse your settlement cheque towards trade-in (new or used)
-if you're not satisfied w/ the answer above, inquire why, and ask what the dealer's bank policy as that's what's driving the ultimate decision
-take necessary steps based on this feedback to lineup your financing options
-ensure your terms are in writing in the "offer to purchase" contract not just verbal
Good luck everyone...

CDN_TDi

TDI
There are reported examples of CDN dealers not accepting endorsed cheques. Just because one, two or several dealers accept endorsed cheques does NOT mean they all will.... so let's make best decisions based on facts - bank/financial institution policy drives financing options available to owners in the buy-back trade-in scenario... end of. G/luck everyone

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
Is anybody here still trying to go in for the Gen 1 fix? Seems they're getting appointments in the US but nothing yet for Canada.

71Cuda

TDI
2010 Golf Sportwagen sold to VW now own a 2015 GSW TDI
Nothing but BS from VW

What a bunch of a**holes. I have sent them photocopies of my registration 5 times and they claim they are all illegible. Last time was an 11x14 photo that I mailed to them. Once this nightmare is over I will send a letter to the Attorney General of Ontario and inform them of the shenanigans going on. I'm sure there are others with the same problem.