Updated media interface cable

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
(rant) Why don't people stream via BT? even with apple car play on the new systems, it seems way easier to just use BT then hunt the cable down and hide your phone with it plugged in.

12V-USB charger is more than useful.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I keep my phone in my pocket, no music on it anyway. leave the iPod connected to the car for music, out of sight, and always charged/charging.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
When I bought my car the salesman found a green MDI cable for the new lightning connector. Never worked with any case I owned. I gave up and just used BT. Sounds great on my car. Use a regular cig adapter to USB for charging phone and my S5 running Torque app.

Some things I have learned to live with. The other being my auto up/down for the drivers window is flaky.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
I've used a similar product to this for years in my JSW to get from the mdi to my cell phone dashmount. I've just ordered the green collared cable for my 2015. I'll report back on how well my cable works with it.

The cable I ordered, which is the one from the first post, didn't work in my Golf at all.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Extension-Through-Connector-Extender/dp/B00OMBTMAM/ref=pd_sim_147_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00OMBTMAM&pd_rd_r=YE51VFE7Y6MCPWRA6YWC&pd_rd_w=APCrB&pd_rd_wg=KpvEU&psc=1&refRID=YE51VFE7Y6MCPWRA6YWC

Last edited:

kevkor2002

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2002 Honda S2000
I'm still curious about the module swap to give the GSW a aux port and a USB input. Thats the best optiong imo. Any word back on if that works?

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
When I bought my car the salesman found a green MDI cable for the new lightning connector. Never worked with any case I owned. I gave up and just used BT. Sounds great on my car. Use a regular cig adapter to USB for charging phone and my S5 running Torque app.
Some things I have learned to live with. The other being my auto up/down for the drivers window is flaky.
I just traded my 16 GTI for a new-old 15 GSW, and am kind of in the same boat. The Apple CarPlay with USB was nice, but going back to BT streaming with the 15 isn't really bothering me much. Plus, I get to use my R2D2 USB charger again! :)
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/11f0/