2013 Passat TDi - tuning questions

Slater0239

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SE
I am not new to forums. I frequent a few USMC forums myself and understand posters on here that have noticed the same question answered a million times. This is a vast wealth of knowledge and I have used the search option along with my Google Fu.

I have perused the topics for about a week and I do have a question:

If I was interested in aftermarket parts, what can I upgrade without effecting the warranty?

I am looking to increase torque, HP, and mpg. That being stated, I am looking for ideas that would support the following criteria.

If this has been asked, I truly apologize, but in my research the past week, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information.

Thanks in advance,

Slater

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
upgrading the Passat is not an easy task my friend...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Slater,

Engine tunes are available from Malone Tuning and Rocketchip, although VW/Audi are starting a new campaign to sniff out engine tunes and flag those vehicles in their warranty database. You can read more about it on VWvortex and Audizine - search for "TD1" (that's T D one) for more information on a situation that is still developing.

Slater0239

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SE
Slater,

Engine tunes are available from Malone Tuning and Rocketchip, although VW/Audi are starting a new campaign to sniff out engine tunes and flag those vehicles in their warranty database. You can read more about it on VWvortex and Audizine - search for "TD1" (that's T D one) for more information on a situation that is still developing.

Thank you!

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
You can do exhaust w/o voiding warranty but that is useless w/ out a tune. You can do whatever you like to the suspension as well. Coil-overs and Sway bars come to mind. Then there is adding all the Euro and Chinese stuff we didn't get with our cars and programming with VCDS. that has been my kick lately.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Audi has actually been setting precedent for voiding warranties based on suspension, exhaust, and shifter mods (short shifter voids transmission warranty). There have been several instances documented on the Audi forums - I haven't seen any yet for VW, but I'm sure they're not far behind.

Just a word of caution to everyone - do your homework and make an informed decision.

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Audi has actually been setting precedent for voiding warranties based on suspension, exhaust, and shifter mods (short shifter voids transmission warranty). There have been several instances documented on the Audi forums - I haven't seen any yet for VW, but I'm sure they're not far behind.

Just a word of caution to everyone - do your homework and make an informed decision.
This was part of the reason I traded my Audi in at a non-Audi VW dealer. That being said, the Audi/VW dealers (joint ones) are supposedly going to be scanning all warranty VW claims in 2013. I assume (wonder?) if this means stand alone VW dealerships too.

Think it is safe to say that all tuned VAG vehicles will be out of luck for warranty claims by the end of the year.

passatv6af

Veteran Member
TDI
B7 6MT
Uhh, all this reading has got me aggravated. I was so excited to possibly get a tune and now...

This sucks, big time

speedtek

TDI
2013 Passat Highline
It may suck, but honestly is anyone really all that surprised? Why would any manufacturer (of anything really) warranty their work if the end user has modified that work. One can complain and ***** about it all they want, claim "their mods don't affect the durability" and whatever else, but the fact remains that increasing performance puts added stress on components. I know I wouldn't warranty my work if someone modified it after the fact.
You pays your money and you takes your chances. If you buy your car for warranty, don't modify it, if you don't care....skies the limit.....

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'm surprised - that it took VW this long.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I'm surprised - that it took VW this long.
Agreed!

Not going to stop me from tuning mine. I have 1100 until my 20K service. Basically 2 weeks for me at normal driving.

Once I get that service done, AFE exhaust, Intake, and Malone tune will happen within weeks. It's time to make this thing sound a little better and run like it should!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Agreed!

Not going to stop me from tuning mine. I have 1100 until my 20K service. Basically 2 weeks for me at normal driving.

Once I get that service done, AFE exhaust, Intake, and Malone tune will happen within weeks. It's time to make this thing sound a little better and run like it should!

I think I already said it, but I hope you're planning on coming up to the Impex GTG so I can check out the mods. :cool:

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Agreed!

Im really interested to hear about the feel of the power increase! Please keep us informed! I dont think anyone here has actually pulled the trigger on getting a tune yet at least not that Ive read. Im considering the different options to tune mine currently as Im not concerned with losing the warranty. I did get a price quote for another factory ecu though to return to stock without visiting a tuner and theyre in the ballpark of $600.

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
A friend from Toronto who bought a GTI Gasser was offered a stage 1 tune right from the dealership .

gr8ness97

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Meh...

I'm into the certified warranty portion anyway, and will probably be done with that after the end of this year at my driving rate. I have the Malone tune stage 1.5 and have had no problems thusfar.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Meh...

I'm into the certified warranty portion anyway, and will probably be done with that after the end of this year at my driving rate. I have the Malone tune stage 1.5 and have had no problems thusfar.
Please tell us more about the tune. Like I said above, I am going to do mine shortly, but would love to hear what you think of it.

gr8ness97

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Well, the tune itself takes about 3-4 hours to complete.

I've forgotten what the shifts are like in a regular TDI. Mine are VERY quick (since I have the DSG, you MUST get the DSG tune). With stage 1.5, you can get quite a bit of wheelspin if you are really aggressive from a stop. Mileage decreased about 1-2 on the highway, but I have still gotten up to 46 mpg and over 800 miles on one tank.

When I have had people ride with me, I have had people say that the car pulls like an 8 cylinder.

One cool little feature is that the gear indicator on the info screen shows D(gear) instead of just D.

TDI_Ryan

Veteran Member
TDI
Isn't there some recourse with Audi voiding the ENTIRE warranty considering the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Isn't there some recourse with Audi voiding the ENTIRE warranty considering the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act?
The intention of the Mag Moss Act was to allow vehicle owners to maintain their vehicles with non-OE parts (oil, filters, etc.). It was not intended to cover alternative engine programming and performance modifications. At least that's my understanding of it.

Mag Moss has been mentioned numerous times on this site over the years, but I can't recall reading a single post in which it upheld someone's warranty after being voided for performance mods.

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
The intention of the Mag Moss Act was to allow vehicle owners to maintain their vehicles with non-OE parts (oil, filters, etc.). It was not intended to cover alternative engine programming and performance modifications. At least that's my understanding of it.

Mag Moss has been mentioned numerous times on this site over the years, but I can't recall reading a single post in which it upheld someone's warranty after being voided for performance mods.
I'd side with VeeDubTDI's comments. The problem is that they can deny it even if it isn't proved to be at fault. As long as they think it was possible, they can deny it and you will have to fight it and pay the costs and time to get an appeals/court decision.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Well, the tune itself takes about 3-4 hours to complete.

I've forgotten what the shifts are like in a regular TDI. Mine are VERY quick (since I have the DSG, you MUST get the DSG tune). With stage 1.5, you can get quite a bit of wheelspin if you are really aggressive from a stop. Mileage decreased about 1-2 on the highway, but I have still gotten up to 46 mpg and over 800 miles on one tank.

When I have had people ride with me, I have had people say that the car pulls like an 8 cylinder.

One cool little feature is that the gear indicator on the info screen shows D(gear) instead of just D.
I have a few more questions.

How does the car feel in the middle of the power band, from about 2500-3800?

Does it do the unnecessary downshifts when you floor it like it did stock?

What is the difference between D & S?

Thanks!

LuckyBob

TDI
Passat TDI 2012
Just had my 2012 done by Giles at Performance Diesel Injection in Toronto, they did a great job. The car is a blast to drive now. Acceleration in passing is just there when you need it, no downshift needed most of the time. Well worth the upgrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um4Ijq8Q74Y

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Just had my 2012 done by Giles at Performance Diesel Injection in Toronto, they did a great job. The car is a blast to drive now. Acceleration in passing is just there when you need it, no downshift needed most of the time. Well worth the upgrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um4Ijq8Q74Y
Did they do a DSG tune? The shifts seem a bit rough.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
DSG tune without an engine tune improves shift behavior and shift points, which is particularly beneficial on the Passat, which tends to shift too late at WOT with the stock configuration. I don't know if it's worth doing on a Golf/Jetta/Beetle, but I think it's money well-spent on the Passat.