Check engine light

A5 Jetta Tdi

TDI
12 VW Jetta Tdi Premium+Nav
06 Jetta Tdi with 100221 miles. Check engine light is on with a massage on the mfd: emissions workshop. Any body know the meaning of this message? thanks.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

OldMan52

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2009
Let me know if you find something. My check engine light went on on my 2009 Jetta TDI (70000 miles) in January. Stayed on for a week or 2, then turned off on it's own. But it came back on in Feb. Beginning March, I went to a service station to have the car scanned. The mechanics didn't give me the code but said it was a problem with some exhaust valve not fonctionning properly. He cleared the fault, but he told me it would come back once the valve jams. And yes the CEL went back on after driving 2 weeks. The mechanics said the exhaust valve sold for $600 and was BO because a quite a few TDI had this problem. As far as performance, the car runs fine, starts easily, has plenty of power, but I don't know if I can harm the engine if I don't get it repaired promptly. If someone has an opinion...

bob13

TDI
2006 Jetta
A5 Jetta TDI

I've had the check engine light / emissions workshop issue numerous times in the past year. Every occurence turned out to be a bad glow plug.

OldMan52

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2009
A5 Jetta TDI

I've had the check engine light / emissions workshop issue numerous times in the past year. Every occurence turned out to be a bad glow plug.
Hoping you are right, but I doubt. Car started super easy even in extreme cold weather. I've got to do some research before I order this expensive valve. Maybe some maintenance can restore it. Thanks Bob

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Hoping you are right, but I doubt. Car started super easy even in extreme cold weather. I've got to do some research before I order this expensive valve. Maybe some maintenance can restore it. Thanks Bob
Bob was replying to the original poster, actually. Very different engine, very different problems.

We still haven't heard what the codes are from the original poster.

A5 Jetta Tdi

TDI
12 VW Jetta Tdi Premium+Nav
Sorry did not reply right away. busy with work. I bring the car to the dealer, they scan and found #2 glow plug bad. Replace glow plug. Thank you everybody for the advised.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
You know that there are much better and cheaper options than the dealer for working on your car. Keep an eye on your regional section, looking for a Get-together (GTG) and stop in and get to know the local yokels.