Ann Arbor, MI BioDiesel Pump...

w8aii

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2ØØ2, Blk
Has anyone heard any more information regarding BioDiesel coming to the Meijers stores in Ann Arbor? I stopped in the store located at Carpenter & Elsworth early this morning and the atendant said she knew nothing about it...

Just wondering if anyone else has a better update...

w8aii

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2ØØ2, Blk
I just left the Meijers located at the corner of Carpenter & Ellsworth and I am happy to report that they have "2" biodiesel pumps operational...

They are pumps 1 and 2... The blend is B2Ø, the price is $2.19/gal.

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
If Meijer is now mixing BD with their usual offering of bunker-grade rotgut ...AVOID it. Yeah sure, Meijer may have lowered the sulphur content of their fuel to around 400ppm from 500ppm by cutting it w/BD...but it's still at 400ppm and we drive TDIs. The TDI intake manifold can handle lots of combusted sulphur mixed with oil vapor, but not for too long.

Go and see Tim/Kim Wacker in Manchester. Manchester isn't that far from Ann Arbor. Last I had heard, Wacker's is selling an authentic ULSD/BD blend. Perhaps, the best TDI fuel available in Michigan.

12/8/04 - From Kim via Gewilli: "The current offering is: B50 Ultra Low Sulfur Biodiesel. We have blended the new spec fuel for 2006, with 15 parts per million or less of sulfur with Biodiesel - a 50/50 blend. We have had the fuel since July 2002 for a customer with fleet of buses with the new engines. The fuel is in limited supply so permission was needed to sell through the pump, but was granted and pump is open."

cawfebug

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 03 Silver
I have used Wacker Oil BD for 2 years and have been very happy with their quality. Unfortunately I put the 1/2 tank B50 in 2nd day they offered it and it gelled on me (the other 1/2 of tank was B20 from the week before). Couldn't drive our TDI for 2 weeks untill it warmed up. But I will still go there - they are quality suppliers. If it happens again, of course, I will reconsider.

I have heard that Meijers buys bulk "older" fuels that has been sitting around for a while... but I haven't really done any research on that. probably explains why it's 2.19. That is how much reg. diesel is in Plymouth (2.17). BP/Amoco is supposed to be the best fuel, yet I have "felt" some performance differences in the winter. The one on Ford Rd. Westland is alsways the cheapest... so do they buy bulk older fuel? I would imagine that all fuel companies just buy what they can.

I guess I am just happy that A2 has a pump. All has been well w/ the fuel I got the other day.

When it gets warmer, we keep B100 in our garage (from Wacker) and mix. Looking forward to that!

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
2 weeks w/o your TDI?!?

I wonder how Wacker's bus-fleet customer has made theirs flow thru the winter months. Perhaps, some PS Arctic Express Biodiesel Antigel could help? PS guarantees B20 to flow down to -40F. Not sure what temp treated B50 would flow at... Good stuff! My 3rd season using it. No issues. Coyne Oil in Mt. Pleasant markets it.

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
Ann Arbor to Manchester. Click here. It's an easy drive. You pass the Daimler/Chrysler test track facility on enroute.

If you see Tim or Kim, you might ask them what their trick/technique is to keep that ULSD/B50 brew flowing during winter.

cawfebug

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 03 Silver
BTW, I agree with you on the low sulfur - I would much rather have a lower sulphur content.

Are there websites that list where gas stations get their fuel from? ... and what sulphur content they have? I'd like to know what Meijer is using.

Although, I will still support it for now - it's a vote for BioD

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
Here's a technique for keeping your BD drum flowing all winter. I've attached an 18" GoldenRod to the bottom of my 55gal. steel drum. You will have to raise the drum off the floor to make this work. 2x4 blocks work for me. The GoldenRod uses very little electricity (12 watts) while maintaining a constant temp of +155F. 3rd winter and still works.

BTW: I used to take my empty drum for a 204 mile round trip to Wacker's for BD. Since last spring, Ridderman's Oil (1/2 mile away) markets BD. They're the same folk who showed up at Hondo's last May with a tanker-full of BD. I will call Ridderman's, leave the empty barrel in the driveway, they pick it up and bring it back full of BD.

BD curb service! Gotta luv it!

TheRedMagi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Reflex Silver
I filled up on Sat. as well. I should have know something was up when the ground was slick.

**WARNING** Pump #2 doesn't auto shutoff. I was not even using the proprod, but pumping by hand and luckly I slow down as it gets near full and I hear the tank venting. Then gurgle, let go of handle in a panic. )@#* still too late, a good quart on the side of the car, the tires and the floor.

So I went in and told the attendtant. heh I was the second to report it, so they were going to put a sign on the pump warning it doesn't auto shutoff at the moment. #1 looked fine. Probably just a plugged vent hole in the handle.

TheRedMagi

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone else notice that this stuff was Conolla oil yellow. Deepest Yellow I've ever seen in a #2. I don't feel this is a subsitute for my premier from BP at M59 and Roch. Rd.

But it is FAR closer than a 1.5(wacker) or 2.5(Roch BP) hour round trip for fuel ever week.

cawfebug

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 03 Silver
same thing happened to me - I heard it gurgle, let go of the handle and a little bit bubbled out too.

I noticed that it seemed to be a rather yellow as well.

I have gotten different colored B200 from Wacker before.

TheRedMagi

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok so it wasn't just me. That's good.

Now B200, that's a interesting fuel. We get Twice as much Bio in one gallon then our competition!

Just poking fun,

wireedge

TDI
2005 5sp Jetta Wagon
Can I revive a zombie thread? Where are Ann Arbor folks going for their BD these days? Seems at least the Saline Rd Meijer no longer has it.

I just became a TDI-er last week, so only on my first tank of petrodiesel. I drive Ann Arbor to Troy for work. Doesn't appear, according to the various websites, to be anything along that route.

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
Yeah, although I don't live in MI any more I travel back often enough to know that Meijers stopped selling bio at the beginning of this year at all of their stores. Other than that I don't know any retailers in your area.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
Probably not much use to you but if youre desperate I know there is a place in Centerline that sells B20. Called Scharfs Diesel Stop. $3.84 as of yesterday.

6650 East 10 Mile Road
Center Line, MI 48015
586-759-4884

wireedge

TDI
2005 5sp Jetta Wagon
Not terribly far from where I work. Probably worth the slight out-of-the-way trip to get there. Seems to be the only BD option anywhere near where I work (Troy) or live (Ann Arbor). The Google Street View shows the biodiesel price at 2.19. Unfortunately, the phone is from May 2009. :(

Pekodaddy

TDI
12 JSW black/tan, pano, 6MT
I just bought b100 in fowlerville mi. They also have b5 and I think b20. Off road diesel too. Can't remember the name but google it.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Thanks,
I'll link to this thread from the biodiesel thread in the '12 Fest group.
Now that Wacker is not selling high bio blends it's nice to have knowledge of others in the region.