New stereo draining battery

Dallas

TDI
2 Jetta TDI's
I finally replaced the oem stereo in my MK5 Jetta with a full featured double din Chinese stereo, it works and sounds great! But now the battery seems to be slowing draining when it's not driven for a couple days. It's a simple plug and play system.
I remember reading somewhere a while back about this issue, but I don't recall what the fix was. Searching here didn't really tell me much. Anyone know much about this symptom?

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
You need to upgrade to a newer version of the CanBus module, located under the dashboard.

Dallas

TDI
2 Jetta TDI's
I looked at the wiring diagram and found 2 wires that are for the can bus. I will pull the radio back out today and see if these are connected or not.
I also did more searching here and found this link on diy upgrading MK5 can bus. I have a vcds on the way so I think I can get it from here. One of these 2 things should fix it.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/rn...n-in-a-mk5-vw/

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I finally replaced the oem stereo in my MK5 Jetta with a full featured double din Chinese stereo, it works and sounds great! But now the battery seems to be slowing draining when it's not driven for a couple days. It's a simple plug and play system.
I remember reading somewhere a while back about this issue, but I don't recall what the fix was. Searching here didn't really tell me much. Anyone know much about this symptom?
This reminds me of the issue where the Monsoon amp still stays on and drains the battery when coupled with an aftermarket radio.

Dallas

TDI
2 Jetta TDI's
This reminds me of the issue where the Monsoon amp still stays on and drains the battery when coupled with an aftermarket radio.
This one doesn't have a Monsoon amp. My MK4 has one and the stereo won't shut off until I lock the doors. I'm ok with that issue.

Dallas

TDI
2 Jetta TDI's
mine did the same thing - Had to do this -- haven't had an issue since
you have to cut yellow wire to can bus box on radio and wire it to a switched on power
canbus box on radio is wired with constant on power so it drains the battery slowly

https://www.autopumpkin.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161
Perfect! Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Say, how do you like your turbo upgrade? I have the same one and it's going in this weekend, along with the injectors.

hodizz

TDI
MK5 tdi (BRM)
I enjoy the turbo a lot. Spool up very quick. 26psi really woke the car up. Have had on my car for about 3 years and not had any issues with it. Should be very nice with injector upgrade. Plan to do the same here. one day...

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'm having the battery drain issue too with a new stereo on my MKIV Jetta. What did you connect the yellow wire to for power when the car is turned on?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I've seen that before in a YouTube video. Might work for the MKV. However, for my MKIV the radio fuse is not under the hood, but the left of the dash inside the car. When I tried a similar approach using the empty automatic transmission slot, which is also inside on the MKIV, it wouldn't work, and rather some weird electric thing happened instead.

So, this is why I'm asking for an appropriate power connection for the yellow wire. My initial thought is the interior fan switch just below the radio.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Today I finally had time to tackle the new stereo parasitic battery drain issue. I had pulled the fuse and haven't been using the stereo from winter through spring. Turns out that I don't have a Monsoon amp in my Jetta, so even though I had the parts, that fix wasn't an option.

So, I tried this option instead from autopumpkin.com:

Underneath the dash, I used the switch 75X terminal. The blue wire toward the back is the one I installed to the stereo compartment.

That blue wire is now connected to the yellow wire leading from the stereo connector.

Put the fuse back in and the stereo works again. Now I'll let the car just sit in the garage for a couple of weeks to see if the battery drains again. I hope not!!

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
The good news: My TDI sat for two weeks and the battery didn't die, so the parasitic drain caused by the Pioneer stereo has been fixed.

The bad news: Now every time I get into the car, I need to press a few "buttons" up front to get the radio to work with my mobile phone. So, it's not an automatic process anymore. Oh well, I'll take the inconvenience over a dead battery.