GTB Turbo with orig actuator on edc15/msa15?

Dakta

Veteran Member
TDI
Non Vag :(
Don't want to sound daft but is it possible to retrofit these to standard 'v' (not gtb) turbos?

looks like a very fast and precise system to me!

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
should be possible, but these electronic controlled turbos use a longer lever, in theory you could just limit the duty cycle range in the software to overcome this..

also remeber you don't have a stopscrew, to you need to limit maximum vane closure precisely also in the software..

T3-UN1

TDI
VW T3 Vanagon AFN
Don't want to sound daft but is it possible to retrofit these to standard 'v' (not gtb) turbos?

looks like a very fast and precise system to me!
Everything is possible! But the benefit is not that much... A faster closed loop is a nice feature but not so important.. also because its not that much faster ;). OEMs also use this type of actuator because of more precise feedback and temperature/error return.
And of course, if you use it on old EDC its only plug n play with hardware..
There is a lot to do with software! Rub already mentioned the missing stop screw thing and there is also precontrol/PID Maps of governor that must get adjusted heavily...
Normally, on newer EDCs you have a special map for max duty cycles in relation to rpm and mg/str.. this is more or less stop screw map...
dont know how to fix it in EDC15 for now .....

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
don't know the name, but you usually find them slightly above the boostmap(s), rpm vs duty.. you have 2 of them, one is min duty, set a 5% (95% in vagcom) everywhere, the other starts around 75-80% and tapers down at higher rpm to prevent excessive van closure at igh rpm..

but you are right, I also do prefer the 3d maps as in edc16

Dakta

Veteran Member
TDI
Non Vag :(
Thanks for the friendly responses!

Software isn't such an issue as I'm using an ancient ecu - it'l end up being a homemade controller just like this lads mosfet setup except with the control routines and sensors too - just wondered if it could be bolted on as I have limited space for an actuator, it fits but it's too close to my car's driveshaft for comfort.

Might be something to look at :D good stuff keep researching ;)

T3-UN1

TDI
VW T3 Vanagon AFN
don't know the name, but you usually find them slightly above the boostmap(s), rpm vs duty.. you have 2 of them, one is min duty, set a 5% (95% in vagcom) everywhere, the other starts around 75-80% and tapers down at higher rpm to prevent excessive van closure at igh rpm..

but you are right, I also do prefer the 3d maps as in edc16
Ah... 72E18 and 72E5C n Audi A4 ols... Didnt know about that...
But a limiter which depends on load would be better as an over all limiter...
i have to measure duty cycle for a minimum vane gap. and set it as max limit.. but why to liit in the other direction?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
not real use in other direction unless you want to keep vanes closed for what reaosn so ever

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Does anyone know the function of the 2 remaining pins of the hella actuator? My scope died so I cant verify it.. 3 or 5 must be feedback or? 0-5v or pwm or..?

netopier

TDI
Cordoba 99 AFN
is this thread dead?
or is there another which solved the electronic actuator issues for edc15?

cheers

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
why does there need to be a mosfet? i would just run a prarallel resitor with comapreable resistance to the N75 coil, and then feed it direct to the actuator

netopier

TDI
Cordoba 99 AFN
thats because of incorrect freq i think , we will test it wirh libang when we find how to change PWM freq correctly

Demon Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Audi A4 Quattro Avant 2.0TDI 6spd manual
Any updates on this. I've made some progress on the software side but need the actual MB servo to test. What is the part number for the MB servo?

GOFAST

TDI
vento afn
I think this is a very interesting mod on a old diesel like my VP.
is there anyone how can confirm that this has actually worked successfully on a daily car.

I've got most of the components.

Last edited:

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
Thanks!
I test and if it work like i think... i intall on my gtb2056vl

Dieseleux
I know that you didn't installed the VL with this electronic actuator. Why? Did you tried ?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
big problem with elec actuator is that its bolted to compressor housing and makes it really a pain if you need to reclock the comp housing with respect to the center section. it can be done but its not as straightforward as vacuum conversion.

Byd1380

TDI
Mk2 Golf - VNT20 setup
I bought this model of actuator but it won't work with the N75 signal. mine is the G35 version. Any ideas?
Thanks

Ivan