View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2010, 13:08   #9
Scott_DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by efb91 View Post
I'm just curious. You would think that since Europeans have a higher standard of emissions on their vehicles, but a few people have told me that we actually have higher standards than Europe in terms of diesel emissions. The reason I ask is that although I love my TDI, when I get married, we're going to need a second car, and she was thinking Ford Fiesta. I was wondering if I grey-imported a Ford Fiesta Diesel from the UK, if it would even pass emissions standards here, before I even look further into it.
It might be possible to bring over the Fiesta, but plan on spending tens of thousands of dollars have it modified for emissions and saftey, and there's the risk it might not be possible no matter how much money you throw at it.

If it's a RHD model it's almost guaranteed that it will not be importable unless crash testing is performed.

You can go to the NHSTA, US customs, and EPA websites and research what has to be done.

The USA emission standards are a bit different than European standards and don't directly correlate to each other, the big difficulty for diesel engines are the nitrous oxide emissions hence all the exhaust treatment technologies.

Page generated in 0.04184 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 16.27 Kb. compressed to 14.64 Kb. by saving 1.63 Kb. (10.01%)]