bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Cool. With a manual it would be very cool. But still, I like it, although 30 MPG highway sounds kind of low.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Note that the current 2.5 gets 27 EPA highway, with the 6-speed automatic.

I certainly hope that one of three things is the case:

1. They accidentally reported EPA combined, not highway - 30+ combined is good for a diesel there.
  2. They accidentally reported the new 2.0/8-speed gasser's EPA highway number - 30+ highway is decent there, and would make sense given the powertrain improvements for that.
  3. They meant 40+ highway, and just fat-fingered it.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Another day, another diesel. Did the market really just need the exit of VW-Audi-Porsche from diesel to encourage diesel?

Ford has been anti-diesel for 15 years, now they have introduced two in two months.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Another day, another diesel. Did the market really just need the exit of VW-Audi-Porsche from diesel to encourage diesel?
Apparently. We can only hope that VW gets some remorse and re-thinks their diesel-less strategy in NA.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Forget the $$$$ Q7. If my family ever needs 3 rows or goes for mini-van life I think we have a winner. I like the styling too. Seems like a great family adventure vehicle for the money. And I was thinking this when I read about it yesterday, before I saw that it was being offered with a diesel.

I wonder why a 1.5L diesel instead of something a little bit bigger for a vehicle this size.

While I strongly favor a MT for anything that is fun to drive, I think I'd be fine with the automatic for something like a van.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Apparently. We can only hope that VW gets some remorse and re-thinks their diesel-less strategy in NA.
Truer words were never spoken.

A diesel Connect would be awesome. Even if they saddle us with automatic only, and they only sell a few due to cost and fleets not wanting to spend the coin, I still welcome it.

The Connect Wagon is a nice setup.

So, Volkswagen pulls out. Mercedes pulls out (save for the Sprinter... still no diesel Metris). Honda never bothered, despite rumors. Subaru never bothered, despite rumors. Mazda has been on/off/on/off for over a decade now.

And now we have two new diesels at Chevrolet, with another on the way. And a couple new ones at Ford on the way.

This is one crazy, crazy time in which we are living I tell ya. :p

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I wonder why a 1.5L diesel instead of something a little bit bigger for a vehicle this size.
If I had to guess, I'd say that the diesel is seen as a niche option for the US, and the 1.5 will be the only diesel for Europe. (The current Tourneo Connect's engine options are the 1.0 EcoBoost and the 1.5 TDCi.)

I'm sure they could've put the 2.0 EcoBlue from the Transit/Tourneo Custom in there, but that would've required additional engineering for the niche option.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Will be interested to see how much room is in that 3rd row.

I bet the 30mpg highway is accurate. How could they fat finger such an important statistic?

oilhammer

TDI
Will be interested to see how much room is in that 3rd row.

They've had those here for several years, that part is nothing new. There is actually a fair amount of room in them. A little small in the back compared to a Sienna, but not much. The middle row seats three, so long as they are not too large or very close friends. Rear row just two.

These unfortunately in passenger trim fall under the radar of a lot of people. Ford has not had a "minivan" for a while now, and while they still sell the ugly Flex, the TC wagon is a much more realistic package. It just does not have as much power available, and no AWD.

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, and the two wheelbase versions along with the passenger and cargo choice does put the Connect in a place that the others really cannot compete. By others, I mean the little Fiat renamed Promaster City, and the Nissan NV200 and its clone, the Chevy City Express.

Add in a diesel option, and the Connect is a real standout. But, Ford probably won't really market them much. :(

Kind of like the Metris. MB hardly markets those at all, and I doubt many Americans even know they exist. They are sort of the only "mid sized" van available, in both cargo and passenger. RWD (with IRS!), too. They drive like a sports car, but sadly no diesel for us.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Looks interesting. Might be something for the kids but not the functional vehicle I'm looking for.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Looks like this engine is used in the EcoSport (pronounced EchoSport, if anyone cares) in Euro markets. The two vehicles probably have platform elements in common, making it easier to use the 1.5L in the Connect.

Although I'm not in the market for a cute-ute, the EcoSport with a diesel would be cool. Nice competitor to the Equinox.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Ford releases 1.5 Turbo diesel Transit Connect

For 2019, the Ford Transit Connect surfs two of the most unpopular waves on the market: small, car-based vans and diesel. Ford hopes the updates it made to the Euro-bred model will help lure minivan buyers into showrooms.Tough it's not an all-new vehicle, the Transit Connect adopts a front end that's sharper and more chiseled than before. It echoes the company's latest design language. The van remains available with a short or a long wheelbase.

Full article: https://www.leftlanenews.com/2019-ford-transit-connect-gets-sharper-design-diesel-engine-99865.html

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Dunno about "small, car-based vans" being "unpopular". The passenger versions (minivans) might be unpopular (I don't think I've seen one single passenger Transit Connect on the road), but compact commercial vans of all types are all over the place here, and I presume the diesel engine won't be limited to the passenger versions. Canada Post uses them. Bell Canada uses them. Friend of mine operates a one-man-show water softener company ... he has one. They are great for plumbers, electricians, local delivery of light products (flowers, food, mail, etc).

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Thanks for posting this bhtooefr! Somewhat surprised by this announcement. Should we thank CAFE requirements for this knowing that fuel prices are less likely to play a role?

Researching Fuelly a little bit points to two vehicles in the UK with an average MPG of around 37.5 which translates approximately to 31 MPG US. Not espectacular, but overall a better cargo/room package than the Toyota RAV4 hybrid which is averaging 32 MPG US.

I wonder how is the reliability of these Ford diesel engines (1.5) vs the GM 1.6 diesel in the Equinox.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Very much a city type vehicle with the ability to work a day then return to home base to restock. They are becoming more common as passenger vehicles because of space and pricing.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Damn near bought a Transit Connect...

Seriously looked at them a year ago after the VW dealer in Fort Myers trashed the rear suspension of my JSW and looked like I'd have to do the buyback early. Boxy in the back like a van should be, but FWD with a low center of gravity so it handles a lot like the Focus it's based on. Big enough to fit a motorcycle in back if it ain't too tall, or plenty of camping space. Factory tow package that even adjusts the stability control for trailering like the system VW has turned off on our north american TDI cars.

Local dealer had a cargo van for $21k before tax and license, I was waiting for price to drop to $20k and then I'd pounce. The EPA approved the fix for and I bought a new '15 Golf TDI... But I may go back to Ford if they follow through with this.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
That's the latest version of the Ford/PSA 1.6 lump, and might even be the "Ecoblue" variant by the time if gets over there.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
This is a new engine family that hasn't been around for very long, so...
Nope, the 1.5 is just the 1.6 that's been around for more than ten years taken down a bit.
And the Ecoblue bit is just Ford's implemetation of the same technologies that PSA have been using on the same engine for five years or so?

Better half's Citroen C4 sports Adblue etc and is a 2015 model; it's 100hp 1.6 is pretty darned impressive and the 1.5s just build on that.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
They're claiming that the EcoBlue engines are clean sheet, source on them being derivatives of the DLD/DV (for the 1.5) and ZSD (for the 2.0) families? (Note that the EcoBlue engines are offset crank, I didn't think any of the old families would've supported that?)

There is a 1.5 based on the DLD-416, but allegedly this isn't it, this is replacing it.

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Most people in the market for a van have a need to haul people and/or cargo. When these little Transit Connects first came out I checked them out. The E150 was a better deal since it could haul more both in cubic space and weight and price wasn't much different. Fuel economy on the Transit Connect wasn't much better than the E150 either. Now that the Transit Connect has this diesel option that may change things.

And yes, I know the E150 was replaced by the standard Transit van which is larger than the Transit Connect. Sort of comparing apples and oranges here between the three...

IMO the Transit Connect does not have the value the larger E150 or Transit provide. The Transit Connect only shines for inner city use where it's smaller size has an advantage.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Transit Connect diesel looks very interesting as a utilitarian, general purpose, around town passenger van.
This may well be on my short list when the Passat dies.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Transit Connect diesel looks very interesting as a utilitarian, general purpose, around town passenger van.
This may well be on my short list when the Passat dies.
True, but probably not as 'road solid' like the Passat for long drives I would guess.

I guess we have to be thankful that, at least, there are a few more luxury vehicle offerings after the VW diesel scandal and with fuel prices fairly low.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
If anyone’s interested there’s a nice Youtube video out there on the ecoblue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Kind of like the Metris. MB hardly markets those at all, and I doubt many Americans even know they exist. They are sort of the only "mid sized" van available, in both cargo and passenger. RWD (with IRS!), too. They drive like a sports car, but sadly no diesel for us.
No gasser for us in those, and every plumber drives one. The cops too.
http://www.polizeiautos.de/show_one.php?id=9075
It's the top of the line engine in the European Transit Connect. The 8-speed auto/130hp version of the 1.5 diesel replaces the 6-speed dual clutch/120hp version in the pre-refresh. One of my coworkers drives a LWB passenger van version of the 120hp one and, while not a rocketship, it's perfectly adequate.
At my old job, we had a short wheelbase cargo van version with the old 1.6 diesel and a 6-speed manual. That was actually pretty peppy.

By the way, the new generation of the Citroën Berlingo just came out and will be available with the same 130hp 1.5/8-speed auto or 6-speed manual drivetrains.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de...018-daten-infos-marktstart-preis-6630795.html

Last edited: