Ideas for the next Fest

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Dyno has been done before, but... Generally speaking, the Fest, where you may be many many miles from home is NOT the place to push your car to the limit. I wouldn't want to promote that activity as part of the Fest because not everyone knows the 'up to the moment' condition of their car and may not understand the risks of putting their car on the dyno.

Instead, more unique activities related to the location AND to our cars would be a nice addition.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Hamsterdiesel said:
Dyno has been done before, but... Generally speaking, the Fest, where you may be many many miles from home is NOT the place to push your car to the limit. I wouldn't want to promote that activity as part of the Fest because not everyone knows the 'up to the moment' condition of their car and may not understand the risks of putting their car on the dyno.

Instead, more unique activities related to the location AND to our cars would be a nice addition.
A dyno isn't really any more stressful on one's car than an autocross or a drag race. Personally, I think it's probably the safer of the three options.

But yeah... there needs to be time every year for local activities and attractions... just like we did in DC with museum time and the road rally.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Banquet start at 6 PM would be great.

Show n Shine start at 11 AM

Dyno was a great idea at Lake Mills. We had a garage, and could fix any oopsies. Jason wasn't that far from his shop if we needed critical parts. Not quite as much fun in a parking lot. Ask Growler and our breakdown TDI this year. We got lucky due to great vendor support and the tools that some of us packed.

If you really want a dyno, the folks that were at Lake Mills are always up for a road trip. They ask me every year if we are interested.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Oh man, I wish I had known that for the DC Fest. We could have had them come and set up in the back of the lot. Next year!! :cool:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
paramedick said:
Banquet start at 6 PM would be great.

Show n Shine start at 11 AM

Dyno was a great idea at Lake Mills. We had a garage, and could fix any oopsies. Jason wasn't that far from his shop if we needed critical parts. Not quite as much fun in a parking lot. Ask Growler and our breakdown TDI this year. We got lucky due to great vendor support and the tools that some of us packed.

If you really want a dyno, the folks that were at Lake Mills are always up for a road trip. They ask me every year if we are interested.
I know it sounds odd, but I actually enjoyed fixing that guys car at fest. I enjoy helping those in need, and he was def in need. Makes my last second decision to bring my timing belt tools worth the trouble.

I am sure he wasn't planning on spending the $600 or so he had to spend for the Alternator and the timing belt kit, but I bet he was glad to get it all fixed up for that cheap, being 6 hours from home on a holiday weekend.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
VeeDubTDI said:
Oh man, I wish I had known that for the DC Fest. We could have had them come and set up in the back of the lot. Next year!! :cool:
But, then there's that small issue of NOISE and how it affects the other guests...

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Growler said:
I know it sounds odd, but I actually enjoyed fixing that guys car at fest. I enjoy helping those in need, and he was def in need. Makes my last second decision to bring my timing belt tools worth the trouble.
I didn't mind at all helping, and the labor rate was right....;) Ya gotta admit, parking lot is not optimal place. Thank heavens you brought the TB tools.

Last edited:

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
growler said:
one last thing, perhaps instead of having the drawing at the end of the S & S, how about having a big white board where we write the winning ticket numbers thruout the day, and if you have a winner, you just claim it whenever you notice. only issue with that is raffle ticket sales must end before we draw any winners and post them.

people were walking by that desk all morning/afternoon and they could have been checking their tickets at the same time.

sort of like a door prize type drawing, but with raffle tickets.
I moved this from the other thread.

How about pulling the tickets at 2 PM, and posting the winning numbers on large poster boards? After the show n shine, we could have a second chance drawing for those unclaimed prizes.

Obviously, onsite ticket hawking would have to end by 1:30 PM or so.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
owr084 said:
But, then there's that small issue of NOISE and how it affects the other guests...
That wouldn't have been a problem. We had the whole place to ourselves for most of the weekend... with the exception of the outdoor wedding from 5pm - 5:30pm on Saturday. Put the dyno behind the building, and nobody has a problem. :)

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Oilhammer is right that the midwest is MORE than cornfields. At least it is that way in my part of the world. My part of the world also has one of the largest bodies of freshwater lakes in the world. In my town people go out on Lake Michigan with their surfboards each labor day weekend. People come here for world class golf (not the car but the game folks), some come for the food and some come to my county to watch the races at Elkhart Lake during race weekends. Elkhart Lake is the longest road course in North America. So don't call us just "cornfields" please.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
VeeDubTDI said:
That wouldn't have been a problem. We had the whole place to ourselves for most of the weekend... with the exception of the outdoor wedding from 5pm - 5:30pm on Saturday. Put the dyno behind the building, and nobody has a problem. :)
We didn't exactly have a lot of space this year...dyno would have been tight...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Space was at a premium, yes... it was a huge Fest this year and we had over 160 cars. We could have squeezed it in somewhere though. There's always more room. :D

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Thaks for all the feedback guys. There are some real good suggestions in here and I'll bring this ideas forward to whoever the organizers are for next year. As we build on our successes, we just need to make sure we don't forget why things might have evolved the way they have though. I've seen some items revert back to the way they were done a few years ago and then hear.. "oh that is why we did it that way'. :)

Anyways, a few corrections and comments to previous notes above:

VWoA:

VWoA and VW of Canada has been giving something now since 2006 when they shipped boxes of backpacks and water bottles. For 2007 VW of Canada was able to combine a media event with TDIFest 2007 which enabled them to get a VW engineer to speak for us. They are stepping up their involvement each year and this is a great thing. I hope we can continue this as I see a closer relationship with VW a positive for VW, VW Diesels, TDIClub and TDIFests.

Local Dealers:
The local dealers are key... Since the very first TDIFest, there have been various levels of support by the local (and not so local) VW dealers. Be it the car show on the dealer lot or offering their hoists for demos to donating prizes and covering some of the costs. As we have evolved I find the show'n'shine works better at the hotel and I'm not sure we'd be allowed back into a VW garage to do demos with 150+ people milling around.:)

Silent Auction:
This was mentioned to me as an idea for supplementing the vocal auction and I think this is a great idea. We can work out details once a new crew is selected (please see that new thread)

GTG vs TDIFest
While it is sometimes hard for those who haven't been to a fest to understand the differences, TDIFest is more less about working on cars and more about learning new things and meeting people and going to a new location and generally having a good time/weekend. This is where my vision of 'local flair' has always come from. As TDIFest moves around some sort of local flair needs to be brought in as people may not be familiar with the area and it is a chance for attendees to learn more about the area and have fun. Be it a scavenger hunt, drive, etc.
Since wrenching is not the primary reason for meeting, it centres around the hotel where the activies take place rather than a garage or persons place that is ideal for a great working GTG.

Vinyl_Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
i would have liked to be able to go thru all the tech sessions and not feel like i was missing anything by being in another group. More info sessions can always be a good thing esp for people like me who know a little and would always like to learn more.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
I do think a dyno is a liability defcit. Having a serious malfunction with out the benefit of having a TDI knowledgable garage on site, ie. Wis fest, is paramount. The Fest is not really to show off muscle that should be left to local GTGs.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
A dyno is less abusive than starting from the stop light when it turns green.
The clutch is already engaged, the wheels are already rolling, there is no driveline 'shock'.
One gear is used for the pull, there is no shifting. (automatics might shift, but the ECU/TCU controls this to the same conditions as used daily).
There is no steering input, no angular load on C/V joints.
There are no potholes, no speed bumps, no changes in suspension load.

Any car that has "a serious malfunction" on rollers was not in any condition to have been driven TO the rollers.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Lug_Nut said:
A dyno is less abusive than starting from the stop light when it turns green.
The clutch is already engaged, the wheels are already rolling, there is no driveline 'shock'.
One gear is used for the pull, there is no shifting. (automatics might shift, but the ECU/TCU controls this to the same conditions as used daily).
There is no steering input, no angular load on C/V joints.
There are no potholes, no speed bumps, no changes in suspension load.

Any car that has "a serious malfunction" on rollers was not in any condition to have been driven TO the rollers.
Amen!

We're not driving 1,000+ HP Toyota Supras here... if someone's car blew up because the dyno operator floored it, then it shouldn't have been driven there in the first place.