engine cut out while driving

ricaroo

TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen
Hi All,

I started my 2011 jsw this morning, and it started up fine and idled fine after a 3 or 4 min I put it in drive (dsg) and took off for work. After apx 3 miles the engine cut out twice so I pulled over and put it in park when I did the engine was idling real ruff like it was not firing on all cylinders. I was afriad to shut it off so I made a u turn to head back home it ran fine and when I pulled in the driveway and put it in park again it idled perfect.

I thought I would chance heading out again and go to work (70 miles one way) the car ran fine and I did not have any problems. I called the dealer and they said it might be bad fuel... They suggested I chang stations and see if that changes anything. I asked them to put a note in my file regarding this

What would cause something like this? Any thoughts?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Where in NH are you? Any lights on the dash? were you honking you're horn when it died? ;-)

Other than having a mil light or code stored the dealer isn't going to really know where to look (battery terminal loose wiring issue?). Unless the problem can repeat itself and be peged down to something, it might be gremlins that will live up to VW's history.

ricaroo

TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen
Hi,

I live in Barrington

Any lights on the dash? were you honking you're horn when it died (NO)

battery terminal loose wiring issue (NO)

I was traveling apx 40 mph it felt like when you have water in you gas on a gasoline motor

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
Wish I could help with your problem. It could be fuel, but for some reason I don't think so. If you really thought it was fuel you would want to have the tank emptied and have the filters changed. At the very least inspect the filter housing for water in the bottom.

As far as fuel is concerned, if you travel near Portsmouth on your way to or from work, Buzzy's Bypass Truck Stop on Rt.1 N in Portsmouth has a B5 pump. Neither I, nor anyone else on this forum has had any problems with fuel from Buzzy's.

Last edited:

jtelford

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI, black, 6MT
What was the rpm? At about 2K rpm, there is sometimes a stumble (it's normal). I can't really say it feels like bad gas, though- just a small, momentary hesitation.

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
After apx 3 miles the engine cut out twice so I pulled over and put it in park when I did the engine was idling real ruff like it was not firing on all cylinders. I was afriad to shut it off so I made a u turn to head back home it ran fine and when I pulled in the driveway and put it in park again it idled perfect.
When you say the engine "cut out twice", do you mean the engine stopped or just stumbled?

Also did it run rough on the entire ride home or just long enough to get you to turn around?

If it stumbled and ran rough for a little while, but not the whole ride home, then my money is on a DPF regen, which is perfectly normal.

glennco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG
Sounds like the water in the intercooler issue to me.

I'm only a rookie though, these vets would know way better than me

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
What was the rpm? At about 2K rpm, there is sometimes a stumble (it's normal). I can't really say it feels like bad gas, though- just a small, momentary hesitation.
Bad GAS will do it every time. Maybe try DIESEL instead of GAS? :p

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I called the dealer and they said it might be bad fuel... They suggested I chang stations and see if that changes anything. I asked them to put a note in my file regarding this

What would cause something like this? Any thoughts?
The problem with this is the dealer can use the note as a reason to deny warranty coverage if you in fact do have a problem developing. Damage caused by bad fuel isn't covered under warranty.

I'm seriously hoping it's not a problem with the HPFP. It could have been a regen operation starting and the brief shudder is normal when a DPF regen operation starts up.

Good luck.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
The OP did mention that the engine idle was rough. Sounded like IF there were some bad fuel, it was all burned up as there were no problem on the 70 miles to work afterward.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
If it stumbled and ran rough for a little while, but not the whole ride home, then my money is on a DPF regen, which is perfectly normal.
I'm with you. Rough idle during regen is common. Stumble from de-fueling when hill cresting or whatever also seems to be normal for these TDI engines.

ricaroo

TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen
rpm (1400)

just a small, momentary hesitation (yes twice a couple of min apart)

When you say the engine "cut out twice", do you mean the engine stopped or just stumbled?

(Stumbled)

Also did it run rough on the entire ride home or just long enough to get you to turn around?

(once I put it back in D and gave it fuel it was ok from that point on)