check automatic transmission fluid

jd9996

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
I have a 2001 Jetta and I have searched the forum and I can not find how you check the automatic transmission fluid level. Do you check it running or not running? Thanks, David

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
I have a 2001 Jetta and I have searched the forum and I can not find how you check the automatic transmission fluid level. Do you check it running or not running? Thanks, David
I know htere is a procedure because I've followed it.

I think it requires a lift and vag-com to do properly. And a gizmo I concocted to all fluid.

Gotta be at a certain temp, car running, etc.

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
IMO automatic fluid should be changed every 40,000 miles, because the transmission will need that frequency to survive. This thread below should tell you most everything you need to get started:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=288052

You can also go to advanced search options and look for posts by CoolAirVw. He know most everything about your automatic;-)

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
IMO automatic fluid should be changed every 40,000 miles, because the transmission will need that frequency to survive. This thread below should tell you most everything you need to get started:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=288052

You can also go to advanced search options and look for posts by CoolAirVw. He know most everything about your automatic;-)
I service mine every 40-50k. My second tranny just exploded. This was a VW reman that lasted 155k (original on elasted 60k). Both had differential failures.

I've never had any valve body issues - perhaps it is due to the maintenance.

And in this tranny I did service the diff at about 100k.