max thread engagement depth for 2015

DimitriT

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI DSG
Hi Folks,

luvin my 2015 here.

Since I live in cold climate I am looking at swapping wheels and tires to get winter tires.

I used to ride a 1999 Passat and had a set of 15 inch rims (from an even older Audi A4.. yea I'm old) which have studded snow tires. The tires are in super shape and almost the same diameter as the factory tires.

Bolt pattern and rim offset is good too.

With the Passat I had to use longer lug bolts and I still have those. They are M14x1.5x27 bolts.

These bolts go about 21mm past the rim and into the hub. This means that about 6mm of the threaded portion of the bolt was in the rim. On the Passat this was deeper than the stock but the hub allowed the bolt to pass through so it didn't bottom out. I know I should have gotten shorter bolts.

So my question is this: is 21mm too deep for the Golf? Does anyone know the factory depth of the engaged portion of the lug bolts? Is there risk of bottoming out or does the hub allow the bolt to pass through?

Your help is much appreciated.

A new set of lug bolts is money I would rather not spend unless I need to.

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Vw has used the same lugs on their cars for 30 or so years.

They are 27mm long. I don’t know why you think 27mm lugs are longer.

As for the other question, the back of the hub is open. Lugs will not bottoms out.

Last edited:

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7

As for the other question, the back of the hub is open. Lugs will not bottoms out.
I have seen at least 3 different length wheel bolts in A chassis over the last 30 years.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have seen at least 3 different length wheel bolts in A chassis over the last 30 years.

Me too. But that was really mostly an A1, B2, and some A2s. Aluminum wheels got longer bolts than steel, and cars that had aluminum wheels from the factory had four short bolts stored with the spare (which was steel) with the tool kit. The deal was, if you put the long bolts in with the steel wheels (including the spare), it would knock all the springs apart on the rear brake shoes.

The newer stuff, this is not a problem. Steel or aluminum wheels, they all use the same length bolts now. A4, B5, A5, A6, C3, etc. all the same.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Sorry, I did my math wrong...

They have used the same lug bolts since 96 on the MkIII with the VR6, and 99 on all other models (except touareg)

So 20 years.

oilhammer

TDI
Sorry, I did my math wrong...

They have used the same lug bolts since 96 on the MkIII with the VR6, and 99 on all other models (except touareg)

So 20 years.
There are different sized bolts thickness wise, too. The Cabrio used the little ones all the way up until the end, 2002. ;)

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Oh, true. I forgot about the Cabrio. They were basically still the MkIII platform that were the 4x100 bolt pattern 12x1.5x27mm bolts.

oilhammer

TDI
Yep. Still the old ABA engine bolted to either the 020 gearbox or the 01M fail-o-matic too.

DimitriT

TDI

Huh. The 99 Passat definitely had shorter bolts. I actually bought the 27s separately because I wasn't getting enough turns to secure the snow-tire wheels.

It's sounds like I will be fine with the 27s. I'll just give it a try.

DimitriT

TDI

Maybe I measured wrong. 27 is the length of the threaded portion or the total length of the bolt?