proper discussion area for me?

yvon g

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta trendline 2.0 liter
i just bought a 2014 jetta 2.0 liter gas job. is this group for mkvi, or only mkvi tdi? if i don't fit in any more, please suggest a site that might come close to the info available here. awesome site that has given me lots of info over the years.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
There are no gas hater here (well, maybe some) ;)
I love this forum too, it's more informative and stays on topic better than many of the other VW forums. If you have a question specific to your engine or want to talk about "stance" then there might be some other forums that have more experience.

yvon g

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope not the right forum as there are none really for the gas versions here. Still lots of info to read on common things like body and other things non engine related.

Other forums:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?5001-VW-Model-Specific-Forums
unfortunately, that's the area i was looking for info, plug gap, gas filter location and scheduled replacement intervals etc. some info on vw vortex, but site not as easily navigated as this one. probably just needs getting used to......thanks for input

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
This one is in a class of its own. I haven't really seen another with such dedicated people with relatively little off topic or spamming.

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
unfortunately, that's the area i was looking for info, plug gap, gas filter location and scheduled replacement intervals etc. some info on vw vortex, but site not as easily navigated as this one. probably just needs getting used to......thanks for input
None of that is in the owner's manual?

yvon g

Veteran Member
TDI
no it isn't. tried to look up plug gap and fuel filter, nothing listed in index. i'll just look again in the vortex site, or just drop in at the dealer. i find they're ok with info, as i've been a vw owner for over 35 years and at times i went to them for parts and or service. now my question today is, i'm looking for steel rims for all season tires. what years would fit my 2014, 195/65/15?

yvon g

Veteran Member
TDI

yvon g

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually the City cars use the old platform, therefore it's 5x100, so it will not bolt up: https://www.wheel-size.com/size/volkswagen/jetta-city/2007/

Wheels from a 2007 Jetta (non City) would work. You need 5x112.

(I bought the wrong rims for my winters when I first got my 2015)
yes, thanks. i seen that on that site, but where they were stating alloy wheels , i thought maybe they had different pattern than steel, couldn't tell for sure. off to another search for rims.....

abaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Trendline+
I just did a search on Craigslist for 5x112 in the diameter I needed.

If you're not buying VW rims then you'll want to make sure they are hub centric (most Euros will be I believe, aftermarket may not be)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
What engine code do you have, and which platform car is this?

A picture will help.

"Plug gap" is a somewhat (ok REALLY) outdated term. Plugs come set with a gap already, no need to mess with anything, just replace them with the correct one at the specified interval.

Most newer cars have no schedule for gasoline fuel filters, some cars do not even have one. Your car may have a replaceable one, if it does, it will be located under the car just ahead of the RR wheel. But again, the engine code and platform will help here.

So that is why neither of those items is in your manual, doesn't need to be, as they do not intend for anyone to mess with it.

yvon g

Veteran Member
TDI
What engine code do you have, and which platform car is this?

A picture will help.

"Plug gap" is a somewhat (ok REALLY) outdated term. Plugs come set with a gap already, no need to mess with anything, just replace them with the correct one at the specified interval.

Most newer cars have no schedule for gasoline fuel filters, some cars do not even have one. Your car may have a replaceable one, if it does, it will be located under the car just ahead of the RR wheel. But again, the engine code and platform will help here.

So that is why neither of those items is in your manual, doesn't need to be, as they do not intend for anyone to mess with it.
car is 2014 jetta trendline plus. engine is 2.0 liter mpi, code cbpa......thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OK, so you have essentially the car that was sold here as the Jetta S. It is the NCS car, with the base SOHC 2.0L "two-point-slow" 115hp engine.

The key components of PM schedule (in miles) is:

10k: oil change, tire rotation

20k: cabin filter

60k: air filter, spark plugs

Then they do specifically call out a replacement interval for the timing belt, only to "inspect" it every service starting at 80k, which is quite dumb. I'd just plan on replacing it at 100k.

There is a serviceable fuel filter under the car, it should also be good for 100k but it also has no service schedule.

"NCS" is New Compact Sedan, which is the moniker given to the 2011+ Jetta sedans, beginning the phase of the Jetta no longer being a Golf with a trunk, and instead being a decontented price point leader for the brand in North America. It is an excellent value car, especially with the base engine as your car has (which is a very tough, simple, durable engine). It is not really an A4 or A5 or A6 (or, as some like to say "mark-X" ), as it is its own platform. That said, it is not a drastic departure from other VAG platforms of the same era, and does share a few parts. The 2012+ Beetle also rolls on the same underpinnings. The Typ code is 162 (whereas the 6th generation Golf is 5K1).

Last edited:

yvon g

Veteran Member
TDI
yes , thanks a lot. i as well find it quite ridiculous that they don't recommend a replacement of timing belt at a certain mileage. the car has 174000 kms on it and i'm understanding from dealer it hasn't been replaced yet, just checked at oil changes