The time has come... out with the old, in with a new Passat.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Mine came with nutin. Had to negotiate for a set of mats, but they did throw them in. No cubes growing in my trunk. Based on MPG, my dealer was about 2.5 gallons short of a full fill up.

Last few days, my Passat has been more like a moving truck. You can put a lot of junk in your trunk with a 2012 Passat.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
what ever you do don't park the passat on the street!

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Hmmm, mine came with the all weather mats too and I hate them. I want carpet and I asked for them when we bought thinking they were a standard feature on an SE. Didn't get them then because it was late on a saturday by the time we closed. Was waiting to pick up license plates to get what I thought was my forgotten set of carpet floor mats. Do these cars not come with floor mats at all?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
My dad asked the same thing when he saw that pic... something about Jason looking skeptical about the grill. LOL

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Here are some pics of the paint in sunlight.

And I'm surprised how much brake dust the factory pads are making... It was noticeable after our 30 minute test drive.

LimonPani

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDi SE DSG
I think I am sold! I have a Camry with close to 200k and have been lurking at TDI forums for a few years. I think I might try to get one this weekend if the deal is right!

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
My dad asked the same thing when he saw that pic... something about Jason looking skeptical about the grill. LOL
Yeah, I'm skeptical about the grill too :p

Otherwise, NOICE car! Now if you can convince NINER to drive his own damn Passat to TDIFest for a little show n shine competition, that would be awesome! :D

I like the way DSGs drive. Hope it holds up well!

So now that there's a nice WORKING car you can rely on, time to do a few more mods/upgrades to the '99.5? :D

onlyinabeetle

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
looks like a familiar spot to pick up a car, thats where Bubba's was, mine was right across next to the gate :)

Niner

Yeah, I'm skeptical about the grill too :p
Otherwise, NOICE car! Now if you can convince NINER to drive his own damn Passat to TDIFest for a little show n shine competition, that would be awesome! :D
I like the way DSGs drive. Hope it holds up well!
So now that there's a nice WORKING car you can rely on, time to do a few more mods/upgrades to the '99.5? :D
Sure... you can clay bar it, seal it, wax it and detail it for me, for the show. ;)

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Very nice! Glad to see you 2 get something that helps heal the loss of the Eco a little;).....I think if I were to get a new TDI,I'd probably go Passat-they look nice and are roomy,and are better colors than the Jetta(Opera Red or Night Blue are my picks).

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
Congrats on the New ride.

I really like the New Passat. . .my dad's right on the fence . . . .keep the 09' or upgrade to the Passat. I think he will up grade

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Just saw a Tungsten Silver one at our fabricators getting a new exhaust (!). Nice color in person. Nice looking car.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Just saw a Tungsten Silver one at our fabricators getting a new exhaust (!). Nice color in person. Nice looking car.
OMG, I hope that if I buy one, it won't need a new exhaust right off of the lot :eek: I'll want try and heal from the pain of the first excise tax bill before mod fever sets in. :)

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I'm guessing that, if it was at a fabricator, there were parts mysteriously falling off and going missing. ;)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Just went for a 60 mile loop up to National Airport, around Arlington and back home. A nice mix of lazy highway and city...

22 miles of highway

Returning home after airport pickup, drop off, dead stopped on the beltway, etc.

I can't wait for the first good road trip. A whole tank at 50mpg should be no problem.

Sorry TomB - haven't filled it up yet to verify the readings.

Niner

You will find it amazing how fast that first thousand miles gets clipped on.
Sadly, this is true, especially when the first 150 to 200 are driving home from the dealership you bought it from, far, far away.

Niner

That looks right there about a 12 gallon fillup, on mine, at least, judging by the fuel needle. When topped off to the brim, takes burning 2 gallons to get it off of full, and every mark thereafter is a gallons worth of fuel gone, with 2.5 gallons left when you reach the red. I think you're getting about 42 to 43 mpg on that tank, if you take into account you were about 2.5 gallons short on the first fillup from being brimmed. About 9.5 gallons to do 402 miles, but takes an extra 2.5 to really brim it.

Last edited:

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Congratulations~!

So, Jason, what does your father say about this little purchase of yours? Is he jealous yet? He's the one who got you started with TDI's, right? Does he still need a big car? Seems to me he bought a gasser Passat a while ago. Is he ready to get back into a TDI?

My brother Michael is set to get one, but both he and his wife drive standard yet my brother wants the hole in the roof. It's hard to see which way they'll go. Something tells me they get the 6-speed manual.

Can't wait to see your new car in person. I personally love its shape. Very nice and conservative. The lines will age well. :cool:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Keep in mind that it's easier to put a manual trans in a DSG car, than to reliably put the hole in the roof after the fact.

Myself, if I were doing it, I'd probably get the DSG, drive it as-is, and then once the DSG blows up, put in a 6-speed.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Niner, I think you're right on the money with your estimates. It's showing a 40 MPG average for the entire tank, including a bunch of idling at the dealership, the break-in drive home in which Jason didn't use 6th gear and some other stuff.

Chris filled the tank before we picked it up, but I don't think he topped it off completely. The fuel gauge started moving almost right away.

Niner

Pretty sure if you run it in 5th gear at around 56 mph indicated, that you guys are killing it on the mileage, as best you can on a fresh motor with having to vary the rpms. Fill 'er up, take about 2.5 gallons off the fillup, and calculate the mpg from there. You'll know a bit more on the second fillup on, you folks will have a bit more consistency from there, enough to make TomB happy with pencil and paper.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Seems like 6th gear from 55 - 62 mph provides mind-blowing fuel economy numbers, according to the MFI. Time will tell!

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Seems like 6th gear from 55 - 62 mph provides mind-blowing fuel economy numbers, according to the MFI. Time will tell!
Sounds like a road trip across the flatland interstates of the country is in order;)......what's the curb weight of the new Passat?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Elevation changes are better for fuel economy. Let me loose on I-95 up to Ho5G and we'll really have some good numbers... I was telling Jason last night - I might even have to challenge BRUSSELS BELGIAN! Warm up those 4-way blinkers!

Curb weight? I don't know.