How to change your HVAC control bulb by Rammstein

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
Can't see your HVAC controls at night in your early TDI?

Would it be hard to change the bulb?

No it isn't.

All you need is a small flat head screw driver, the smallest you can find.

Thanks to GoFaster for helping me take the pictures in his car.

I removed the whole dash in mine to find that you only need to remove 1 panel and 1 knob. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I should stress that this set of operations should be done when the interior is warm, so you won't brake the different plastic pieces.

Here we go:

Start by gently prying the bottom of the panel as shown:

Then on one side,

and the other

The panel should get out easily now, remove it.

The only knob containing a light is the center one. You don't need to remove the other ones, they're bulbless.

Gently pry the knob as shown on the pic below. I've stuck the screwdriver at 3 different places to lift it gently.

You'll then see a green plastic piece inserted in the center of where the knob used to be.

Pinch it with your fingers to remove it from there.

Here you go, it's out!

Change the bulb and follow these instructions backwards and you should see the light! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess it would be the same thing on the A3 Jetta, but this write up was done on a B4.

Try it out and keep me posted! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

gboss

Awesome! Thanks! I was wondering if this was going to be a tough job. What type of bulb is it? Can i get it at any store or do I have to go to the dealer? Thanks again!

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
The bulb is sort of the "fish tail" type if you know what I mean.

Take it out and you'll see.

I got a replacement at Canadian Tire, but the stealer could probably sell one to you for the same price.

I paid 4$ for 2 of these bulbs. /images/graemlins/eek.gif

The ones I got were of lesser quality than the one that was there already.

Probably the dealer would sell a bulb of higher quality, what goes in there I guess.

Also, I don't know if a LED would fit there?

Even with the light replace I find the HVAC controls to be somewhat dark. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Anybody knows? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
[ QUOTE ]
...Would it be hard to change the bulb?

No it isn't.

All you need is....

[/ QUOTE ]

I got mine out by simply pulling out the control knob. The knob and the bulb holder come right out but it is a careful tug that does the trick. I believe I read it here some time ago.

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking through my toolbox, I found a 1/32" flat head screwdriver (part of a set of jewlers' screwdrivers). Is that small enough? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking through my toolbox, I found a 1/32" flat head screwdriver (part of a set of jewlers' screwdrivers). Is that small enough? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll do the job. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I took the pics when it was about -10C out, so I was afraid to brake some plastic pieces.

If only pulling on the center knob does the job, great!

Anybody knows if they sell LED's that could fit there?

Mine needs to be brighter. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

sassyrel

Veteran Member
TDI
passat,96,black-metalic
dont know yet on a vw--but--on ford--you can get diff wattage bulbs from some places to brighten up the dash more--maybe the bulb you got has lower wattage????????

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody knows if they sell LED's that could fit there?

Mine needs to be brighter. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't tried replacing that bulb with a LED, but I have been experimenting with LED replacement of the bulb that illuminates the ring around the lighter socket and the one that provides light to the ashtray. I'm not completely happy with the results yet, but it can be done. I used 5mm LEDs, they were just about exactly the same diameter as the incandescent lamps they were replacing. Packaging is a bit on the tight side, but I was using a 1/2 watt resistor because Radio Shack didn't have any 1/4 watt in the value I needed. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Detail Pictures

I know this is a bump of an old thread and I'm sorry. Since I recently had to try and find both the green connector and the bulb itself but didn't have any clear photos to go off of, I thought I'd take some pics for future reference for anyone else. I happen to find what I need at a local junk yard in a '90 passat (I think).

Last edited:

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Digital Corpus,

The pics you posted are so clear i am compelled to ask what device did you use to take them?

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Digital Corpus,

The pics you posted are so clear i am compelled to ask what device did you use to take them?
Canon 30D with kit lens at the time. That a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. I've since bumped over to an EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM. I'm a photographer and nerd by trade.

Edit: Oh, and the primary light source is a bounced 580EX