Nexen Tires vs. Falkens

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Anybody have any experience with Nexen tires? Know how they compare to Falkens as far as cheap tires go?

Thanks

Marchmen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
As with anything, you'll hear good and bad things for both. Falken has changed the design for the 912 to improve the durability of the tire, and having just seen a new set in person, I'd personally be leaning towards the Falkens.

Had I not found and purchased a lightly used set of Yokohama's, I would have purchased the Falken 912.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are the 912s much more expensive than the 512s? Reason I'm asking is I know PT has the 512s for $125 each (17" - not installed), and I got a quote from a place in Buffalo for the 912s for $125 each (installed), so I'm wondering if the prices across the border are more comparable now, or if the 912 is generally a more expensive tire, so cheaper in the US. I also got a quote in Toronto for some 17" Nexens for $125 each installed.

Marchmen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Silver02TDI said:
Are the 912s much more expensive than the 512s? Reason I'm asking is I know PT has the 512s for $125 each (17" - not installed), and I got a quote from a place in Buffalo for the 912s for $125 each (installed), so I'm wondering if the prices across the border are more comparable now, or if the 912 is generally a more expensive tire, so cheaper in the US. I also got a quote in Toronto for some 17" Nexens for $125 each installed.
The 512 has been discontinued in favour of the 912. The 512 had a softer sidewall and were sought after as they were a narrower tire (on the small side of the scale, but still within spec) and allowed for a stretch on wider wheels. This was great for appearance, but durability or tread life suffered.

The 912 was designed with a stiffer sidewall and improved durability. Overall, the tire prices for Falkens are still cheaper in the US, although the difference is more reasonable. You can expect for Perjad's prices to increase now as it was expected that Falken was going to raise their prices after April 1st. How much it goes up depends on how suppliers decided to handle or pass on the price increase.

I've asked a guy I know to quote me some prices for tires/taxes/installation on the standard VW sizes, so I'll see what he comes back at.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
My "new" 2001 Golf came with Nexen tires...

I wasn't happy, and when I switch away from the snow tires, I'll be looking elsewhere...

Yuri.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Silver, I _just_ ordered Falkens from PT for my non-TDI Jetta. I was quoted for 512s but received 912s! :) I think the 912s are quickly replacing 512s. You should call for details.

VwPodRacer

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD150, 98 Jetta TDI
i have Nexen 3000's on my bbs Rc's and they are good... they are quiet on the highway and stick ok.. i wouldnt recommend them for rally racing or anything... but they get the job done for a cheaper tire... spent all my money on the Rc's and then had no money left for the tires.. and didnt want to wait:D

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I have Nexen winter tires and just finished my first season with them.

While they are not all seasons, they behaved just fine in the winter- no excess wear, good traction, no odd defects or anything one would expect from a bargain basement tire.

Link977

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Silver02TDI said:
You have to add fuel consumption, exchange rate (you didn't mention it's US dollar or Canadian dollar, now CDN went down.), and how many hours will you send on travelling? The most important reason is why gives business to U.S when you have a locally dealer who has the best attitude and gives you stuff at the same prices?

Last edited:

Sebpt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (SOLD). 2005 MB E320 CDI
Windex said:

While they are not all seasons, they behaved just fine in the winter- no excess wear, good traction, no odd defects or anything one would expect from a bargain basement tire.
I had them too for 2 seasons and would not buy them again. Tire wear sucked. My wife has the Falkens, they are decent tires.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Link977 said:
You have to add fuel consumption, exchange rate (you didn't mention it's US dollar or Canadian dollar, now CDN went down.), and how many hours will you send on travelling? The most important reason is why gives business to U.S when you have a locally dealer who has the best attitude and gives you stuff at the same prices?
Okay if I have to defend my considerations, then...

Fuel consumption is negligable, as is travel time, since I'd combine it with a cross-border shopping trip I've been wanting to do for years. Also, driving to PT for example is an almost two hour round trip for me with city traffic, so that's half the Buffalo trip.

PT unfortunately can't install them, so I'd have to haul them to find some place that will, so that is also time and fuel consuming, not to mention installation cost of $80+ tax. Any other place (here or down south), it would be one-stop shopping. (P.S. I did buy my winter tires at PT)

And finally, no local business to me is worth spending hundreds of dollars more. Sure, if it's a matter of $100 difference, I might save myself the hassle and stay local, but if we're talking $200 plus, then...

Last edited:

Link977

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Silver02TDI said:
Those are great prices! Do you have a recommended installer in Toronto?
Silver, You don't know wal-mart has a tire installation package?
I recall it's $42CAD+tax installed and balanced. (Of course for 4 tires.:))

Last edited:

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
Windex said:

Ditto, I have Nexen Eurowin 600's have used 2 winters so far still as good as new, very good snow/slush traction, they do the job well, good value for money spent.

Atif

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
i also have nexen 3000 summer tires...cant complain...good traction and very quiet...good bang for the buck.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Link977 said:
Silver, You don't know wal-mart has a tire installation package?
I recall it's $42CAD+tax installed and balanced. (Of course for 4 tires.:))
I wouldn't have thought of wal-mart as the place to go for low-profile tires on rims you'd like to keep scratch free ;) :D

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
i tried a set of nexxens cant recall the tire model, but it was a summer performace tire. rims were montes, so tire size was 225-45-17.

i didnt like them at all. side walls were too soft for MY liking, even at higher PSI's. Rode them for 2 days and returned them for my 2nd set of yokohama ES100's. now thats a tire ...

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just looked at Consumer Reports ratings for 17" tires..... Nexen wasn't rated, but of the others...

The Falkens 512s were often selected as "Quick Picks" doing well. The Falken 912s were the top rated All-Eason Ultra High Performance tire. Yokahama Avid V4S, Michelin Hydroelge, Pilot, and Energy and Continental ContiProContact were also all quick picks. Other Yokahamas didn't do so well.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've decided to go with Falken 912s... I've been calling around for quote for the tires, installation, and alignment. Called the Active Green and Ross down the street from me, the Kal Tire in Mississauga, and some other places. Also been asking around for just installation and alignment if I get them from PT... Spoke with two different people at Kal Tire, and they gave me two different quotes... Sigh... This is hard work!

Marchmen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Typical installation and balancing should cost you around $80 for a set of four.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
Falken 912 quote from Wheel & Tire Zone last year was 79.00 for 195/65R15 and 86.00 for 205/60R15. Do not know if this offer still stands but I am not currently in the market as I just put on my summer wheels which had brand new tires last fall.

Burgermeister

TDI
2001, Jetta
Falken 912s

Silver02TDI said:
I've decided to go with Falken 912s... I've been calling around for quote for the tires, installation, and alignment. Called the Active Green and Ross down the street from me, the Kal Tire in Mississauga, and some other places. Also been asking around for just installation and alignment if I get them from PT... Spoke with two different people at Kal Tire, and they gave me two different quotes... Sigh... This is hard work!
Silver - How has your experience with the Falken 912s been? I'm contemplating picking up a set myself but have read mixed reviews...

Any feedback would be appreciated

Burgermeister

TDI
2001, Jetta
Marchmen said:
The 512 has been discontinued in favour of the 912. The 512 had a softer sidewall and were sought after as they were a narrower tire (on the small side of the scale, but still within spec) and allowed for a stretch on wider wheels. This was great for appearance, but durability or tread life suffered.

The 912 was designed with a stiffer sidewall and improved durability. Overall, the tire prices for Falkens are still cheaper in the US, although the difference is more reasonable. You can expect for Perjad's prices to increase now as it was expected that Falken was going to raise their prices after April 1st. How much it goes up depends on how suppliers decided to handle or pass on the price increase.

I've read the opposite of what you describe between the 512 and 912. This review states the 912 is designed with a software sidewall for a quieter ride and decreased precision in turns:

http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/auto-tires/m/42699661/

Is the 912 really a better tire?

Black_Brodie

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
I dunno, but the 512's are kinda the suck, especially when it gets a little bit wet out. I wouldn't say that the 512 had a stiff sidewall either, as I have scuff marks half way up them from some 'spirited' driving

Last edited:

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
Burgermeister said:
Silver - How has your experience with the Falken 912s been? I'm contemplating picking up a set myself but have read mixed reviews...

Any feedback would be appreciated
iirc, silver ended up getting the maxxix Z1 tire.

but i happen to have the 912s on my corrado, 215-40-17 on phat 5's.

just spent 5hrs cruising thru the haliburton highlands, about 400kms or so to hilly twisties, some banked curves...etc...

verdict, likem thus far. side walls are stiffer ( they say ) but keep in mind that falken went with a " exact same sidewall construction for all their tires" or so i was told.

my size is a reinforced sidewall aswell, so not sure if that actually translates to a stiffer ride or better handling or maybe both, but compared to what was on these rims prior, PO kuhmo MX's..much nicer tire all around, ride comfort, performance...

time will tell wrt mileage.

good tire for the $$...even though they are an all season, in our climate...they are a 3 season. i cant see these being any good in the winter we just had.