Post fix market value?

Blindsider

TDI
10 JSW and 15 Golf dsg
Hey guys I’ve been trying to figure out what the real world market value of these cars are now post fix. It’s almost impossible to find them for sale anywhere so that doesn’t help. KBB is s complete unknown too. Anyone have any ideas? My girl wants to unload her 10 sportwagen for a 15 Golf. Is buyback going to be better than fix plus private sale? They’re not even showing up in the classified section here. Thanks for any input.

atsffan

TDI
2013 Golf United Grey 6M 2 doors, no waiting.
Personally, I don't think there will be much of a price hit post-fix. I'm sure initially it'll be evident as there's still all those that may hit the market via VW buybacks.

But in a year or so, I think the prices will recover significantly - especially as I don't see any MPG hit after two months (still in the 44.1 MPG avg I've had since owning the car - those are Fuelly numbers). And I think the reliability and longevity will still be the same.

Blindsider

TDI
10 JSW and 15 Golf dsg
The dealership wasn’t much help since he said that he could get any number of the buyback cars and sell them whenever they wanted. Surprised I haven’t seen more of the fixed ones for sale on here. Prices on the 15’s have dropped quite a bit since they initially became available too. Seems up in the air for now.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
A dealership in Maine has several '15 TDI's for sale, I am assuming they are buy-backs that have been fixed. They are asking between $16K and $24K depending on model, mileage and features. They are asking in the 16-18K range for the Golfs.

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
I bought after diesel gate (Nov 2016) for 10K roughly. After the fix, and $$ from VWOA the car cost 6.1K. For a family friendly fuel efficient fun to drive car that is a great deal.

I'm certain I could sell today for more than 6.1k.

KBB has it valued at 10k in good condition with 100000 miles.

To answer the question... I think it may decrease the value, due to popular opinion. An enthusiast would be smart to capitalize on that!

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
It is worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it. As we know location, condition, miles, market, color, options, transmission all play into it. KBB for my very clean defect free 99,000* mile 2010 JSW as if today is:

$10,201 to $12,720 Trade In

$10,833-13,521 Private Sale

The interesting thing the buyback is based on KBB at a date just before diesel-gate news broke, was approx $11,000. So I get about $16K I recall (been a while since I looked it up). You can see KBB is about the same or slightly higher today.

I'm planning to have it fixed (pocket $5,000) and keep it. If I decide to sell it I will do better than selling it to VW (if I can get someone to buy it for $11K). My engine is from a 2013 and has only 46,000 miles. So I hate to sell it. I did just buy a second car a Nissan LEAF... It's a great car but not a stand alone do all car like the VW is. Plus the VW has a Westfalia hitch and VW CAN trailer wiring.

Last edited:

Blindsider

TDI
10 JSW and 15 Golf dsg
Yeah all you need to find is the one person who wants your particular car. Ours is a ‘10 JSW manual non-sunroof with 160k miles that was fixed. We already did the timing belt and water pump so it should be fine for a long time. I just like the look of the 15 golfs and everything newer. I don’t keep cars for long, it’s a sickness haha.