Coolant loss

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Added coolant again at 30K oil change for the Passat, only about 2K & 2 months after topping up to middle of the hash marks. This time I didn't get a warning but it was under the low has marks, we'll see how long this lasts.

May do phase 2 and water pump at the same time.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Im nearing 60k so im planing on pulling covers to look at pump to see if its leaking before the powertrain warranty expires.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Update.....
All winter long my car has been on the frost heater. It hasnt had a below 50* cold start all year till today at work. No frost heater and 38*. Started car and coolant light came on. Pop hood and bottle is Low Low. I checked the coolant this past Sunday when i checked oil and stuff like i do every weekend and at that time coolant was at the top of the safe range. I seem to remember last year all coolant light and coolant loss issues were during cold starts. Wonder what the connection is...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you pop the TB cover and do a peak see yet?

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
No i took everything around it off and decided i didnt see any evidence of a leak I wasnt going to dig further.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
reviving old thread.

2015 hatchback TDI. Bought it in Feb2019 with 66K km on it, just hit 78K km this morning.

Startup this morning flashed low coolant warning. Checked under hood and the overflow bottle was near empty.

Added about 500mL of distilled water to it to bring level up to minimum.

1st time i've checked the coolant in this car... sounds like I may need to keep an eye on it... 1st time among 7 VAG cars I've own/ owned that I had a coolant warning...

Is it G12 for a tdi?

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
We've been seeing coolant loss on the 2015 as well. Not much, just a few hundred ml over a long period of time (six months to a year).

I often smell coolant when the engine is hot, but I can never find a leak. There's never any drips underneath or anything.

Just going to keep adding a cup of pre-mixed G13 coolant once or twice a year.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is it G12 for a tdi?
G13 is the newest stuff, if you have a bit of g12++ on hand it wouldn't hurt if a few cups found it way in the system in a pinch.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
G13 is the newest stuff, if you have a bit of g12++ on hand it wouldn't hurt if a few cups found it way in the system in a pinch.

I have a little bit of g12 concentrate (bright pink) on hand... I will add a little bit of it next time it's low ...

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
reviving old thread.

2015 hatchback TDI. Bought it in Feb2019 with 66K km on it, just hit 78K km this morning.
Coolant warning came back this weekend.... Car just turned 80K km on the odo...

I was away from home and added about 500-750mL of distilled water to bring the overflow up to between min/max...

I'm not thrilled with the fact that 500-750mL of coolant disappeared in a 5-6week period...

Would this be something covered under the canadian Dieselgate emissions warranty?

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Would this be something covered under the canadian Dieselgate emissions warranty?
No, I don't think so. Not unless it the coolant leak is related to a part of the emissions system such as the EGR cooler.

Parts Covered Under Extended Emissions Warranty

The emissions system warranty shall cover the following parts or
systems:

- The entire exhaust after treatment system, including the Diesel
Oxidation Catalyst, the Diesel Particulate Filter, the Selective
Catalytic Reduction converter, the dosing injector and other Diesel
Exhaust Fluid system components, the exhaust flap, and all sensors
and actuators;

- The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel
rail, fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all
sensors and actuators;

- The EGR system, including EGR valves, EGR cooler, EGR filter,
EGR temperature sensor, all related hoses and pipes, and all
sensors and actuators;

- The turbocharger, including the turbocharger damper; and

- The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, including SCR DEF
quality sensor, and any malfunctions detected by the OBD systems
other than those related to the transmission.

Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine
sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder
head, camshaft, and valve train.

This warranty extension covers only the diagnosis and replacement of
the emissions-related components listed in this section.

The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labour and
applicable taxes, and shall not void or supersede any existing
warranty.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Thx Mike,

I'm going to UV dye it and take a look around for a leak sometime in the next few weeks/months, I'll report back what I find...

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
Earlier this week, in the morning, a red triangle popped up on the dash. I was in a rush so I turned off the car and restarted and it never came back. While I was checking my oil level, I noticed the coolant reservoir level was below MIN. Note to self, top off coolant. Fast forward to this morning... started her up and red triangle appears. This time I wasn't in a rush, and saw a message about low coolant. I popped the hood and found almost no coolant in the reservoir. Borrowed a car, and went to the dealer to buy a $30 jug to top it off (mixed with water). I'll monitor how quick (if it even does) the level drops. Ultimately, I may take it in to get pressure tested since it should still be under warranty.
coolant level was just above the MIN mark yesterday. 9-months ago I topped it off. i looked around, but didn't see any signs of leaks around the water pump/belt area. hmmm, not sure if i should get it checked out.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
My wife just returned from a trip to Canada in her 2015 Golf. She said that her coolant was gone, reservoir empty, and she bought some apparently proper type at Walmart.
This really worries me. Is the water pump the culprit? Is there any service bulletin out on it? Is it covered under any warranty?

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
My wife just returned from a trip to Canada in her 2015 Golf. She said that her coolant was gone, reservoir empty, and she bought some apparently proper type at Walmart.
This really worries me. Is the water pump the culprit? Is there any service bulletin out on it? Is it covered under any warranty?
most likely is if you see any leaks, it is under power train warranty

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
Been searching for this post, and found it! Red-triangle came up this morning. Popped the hood and there was barely any coolant in the reservoir. Last time I topped it off was Aug 15, 2019. I did notice the reservoir had dried white marks on the outside. I wonder if there's a hair line crack in it, or the cap is going bad? Anyways, I refilled it and will clean the outside of the reservoir and continue to monitor it.

--Ry

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Just had to top off my GSW coolant also. Just below the minimum line. Took about a cup of G13. 39K approx.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
That's why I'm asking pump leak victims to find out if dealers are replacing these with conventional, non-variable pumps. There are reports that that is the case and there appears to be a TSB on it, which makes sense with such a potentially disastrous failure. If true, it would be a shame to lose the extra quick warm-up feature of that pump, though, and as such, its probably considered an integral part of the emissions system. Perhaps an improved variable-flow pump is in the pipeline and a conventional pump is just a stop-gap measure until the redesigned one is available.
Does anyone have the TSB number or a link for it?
TIA

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Well, coolant below the min. line again. Not gonna top off right now, taking it in for 60k service next week, I'll see if they notice it.... I'll be taking the Evolution skidplate off before taking it there,don't want them removing/installing it....

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
They topped coolant off, but nothing was written on the bill. I didn't see any leaks when I took skidplate off, so I wasn't gonna pay extra for them to "diagnose" missing coolant....