Hotel Registration price ONLY GURANTEED untill 7/25/08 ARE YOU REGISTERED?!

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Good people of TDI Club.

The agreed upon price for the hotel rooms is
only GUARANTEED until 7/25

Have you registered? if not YOU NEED TO!

there is only 2 weeks left before you lose your chance to get our group rate for the weekend!

King's Island Resort and Conference Center
5691 Kings Island Drive
Mason, Ohio 45040
Phone: (513) 398-0115
Fax: (513) 398-1095

Reservations: 1-800-727-3050
http://www.kingsislandresort.com

https://reservations.ihotelier.com/crs/g_reservation.cfm?groupID=93629&hotelID=4866

Register TODAY!

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Rooms at that same hotel are cheaper if you are booking through travelocity or expedia... Maybe our hosts could ask for a better group rate?

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
In prior fests, a portion of the room price above the barest minimum has gone to providing Fred with a complimentary room. The organizers of past fests, and as a result each member that stayed at the host hotel and paid the group rate, paid for Fred's room so he didn't have to.
The vendor suites, the parking lot reservation, the car wash water, the room fees for the common meals and banquets at past fests have been deeply discounted, if not entirely free, in compensation for the few dollars per room group rate above the Shatner-Gnome price.
Yes, It might be possible to be cheaper, as could staying home that weekend. Send Fred the money you'd save through your own booking to add your support this site, or pay a buck or two extra and let the fest organizers do it in your name.
Remember, we aren't holding or attending a fest to support the hotel, we're doing it to raise money above the costs in order to provide Fred a pittance to lure him into continuing to host this site for a while longer.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Lug_Nut said:
In prior fests, a portion of the room price above the barest minimum has gone to providing Fred with a complimentary room. The organizers of past fests, and as a result each member that stayed at the host hotel and paid the group rate, paid for Fred's room so he didn't have to.
The vendor suites, the parking lot reservation, the car wash water, the room fees for the common meals and banquets at past fests have been deeply discounted, if not entirely free, in compensation for the few dollars per room group rate above the Shatner-Gnome price.
Yes, It might be possible to be cheaper, as could staying home that weekend. Send Fred the money you'd save through your own booking to add your support this site, or pay a buck or two extra and let the fest organizers do it in your name.
Remember, we aren't holding or attending a fest to support the hotel, we're doing it to raise money above the costs in order to provide Fred a pittance to lure him into continuing to host this site for a while longer.
Your post implies that people that are grouping together to share rooms, staying elsewhere at other hotels, staying with family/friends, or at campgrounds, are not supporting the site (as much). If the registration costs do not cover all of the expenses, and the hotel bookings are in fact required, then that should be made transparent. Or better yet, registration fees should be modified to cover all of those expenses, so that everyone, including those coming for the day or not staying at the hotel with the group rate, can do their part to help out the club ;)

Edit: PS I was only offering this info as a possible explanation for why the hotel has only seen 20 reservations... Didn't mean to offend...

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
I took no offence.
Everyone needs to know that there is a BIG risk in deciding what to charge for fest fees. The registration fees do NOT cover all the expenses.
The meals and buffet charges are based on some minimum number of diners. Fewer than expected people sign up and the cost the hotel charges per person goes up, possibly above the charge the fest organizers asked. The shortfall comes out of the organizer's pockets.
Slow reservations at the group rate are a concern to whom-ever guaranteed the minimum room block. I know that the nearly $6,000 my own card guaranteed for a block of rooms for the Boston fest was a HUGE concern for my wife and I. Boston lucked out. Enough attendees stayed at the group rate that my personal guarantee to make up any shortfall wasn't needed.

The fees charged can't be so high as to dissuade attendance, yet not so low that the fest is a money loss. So far, most of the fests have turned a moderate profit which was then given to TDIClub. Any assistance that you and others can provide by being counted towards official fest event numbers is greatly appreciated.
Just keep in mind that booking your own room helps you only. Booking through the group rate helps all the Fred's community collectively.

CoJoNEs

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf; 2015 Golf
Silver02TDI we recently became aware of the difference in pricing (prefered pricing indeed!!!) between the agreed TDIFest room rates and the travelocity/expedia rates and will be visting the hotel to find out if any fees can be changed since it is definately affecting our minimum rooms. We spent a lot of time up front negotiating room rates, conference room pricing, the amount of space used in the parking lot, etc with the hotel. At the time it was the best rate availible, we are working to find out what we can do to offset the costs since it looks like we wont make our minimum rooms.

Lug_Nut

TDI
I finally booked my room. I had been waiting for my vacation request to be aproved for the time off from work.
I still don't have the approval, but I'm coming anyway.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
The threesome's room is accounted for...:D

Perhaps we can trade roomies between Zippy & Haiku's room.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
CoJoNEs said:
Silver02TDI we recently became aware of the difference in pricing (prefered pricing indeed!!!) between the agreed TDIFest room rates and the travelocity/expedia rates and will be visting the hotel to find out if any fees can be changed since it is definately affecting our minimum rooms. We spent a lot of time up front negotiating room rates, conference room pricing, the amount of space used in the parking lot, etc with the hotel. At the time it was the best rate availible, we are working to find out what we can do to offset the costs since it looks like we wont make our minimum rooms.
Anyone have any luck talking to the folks @ the hotel yet?

CoJoNEs

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf; 2015 Golf
BlueCTTDi said:
Anyone have any luck talking to the folks @ the hotel yet?
Bruce will be there friday, I was hoping to make it but work decided I needed a friday morning meeting.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
CoJoNEs said:
Bruce will be there friday, I was hoping to make it but work decided I needed a friday morning meeting.
Please let us know how it goes before the end of the day!

We're trying to figure out what's up with the price and room discrepancies. Does $79/night get you a crappy run-down room from the 1980s? Does $99/night get you a newly renovated suite? Is it random? :eek:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Let there be registration! 3 nights @ $99, 1 night @ $79. Hopefully the room doesn't turn super crappy on the last night. ;)

Lug_Nut

TDI
You rented the "Cinderella" Ballroom?
Dude! That is sooo suite!

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Zippy_car said:
Haiku and I have a room reserved for us! so chock 1 more room up to meeting the quota! :D

Party Room!

Bring fruit punch..............mmmmmmmmm, fruit punch................:D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Hamsterdiesel said:
Party Room!

Bring fruit punch..............mmmmmmmmm, fruit punch................:D
There will also be a Party Room Annex, as I have reserved a Family King. Extra room for drunken shenanigans! :eek:

Lug_Nut

TDI
But leave before midnight or Prince Charming turns into the Wicked Witch of the West. See posts #17 and 18.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Lug_Nut said:
But leave before midnight or Prince Charming turns into the Wicked Witch of the West. See posts #17 and 18.
That would pretty much be the worst thing ever. :eek: :(

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
mwalters said:
Just made my reservation - I know, I'm a procrastinator. They charged me $94 per night (3 nights).

did you tell them you were with the TDIClub Group? (for the headcount)

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
Growler said:
did you tell them you were with the TDIClub Group? (for the headcount)
This can't be stressed enough to make sure we leverage the number of "room nights" in order to lock in the best pricing for the conference facilities. Be sure your room reservation is associated with the TDIFest or the TDIClub.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Zippy_car said:
You'll have to convince the bartender to come. looks like he might not make it. :(
There will be at least one bartender there... yours truly. ;)

Keith still might be able to make it, too. :D Fruit punch for everyone! :eek: