Utah Members

Wasatch

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
So...I'm the newest of TDI noobs. I have a 6-day-old, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen which had 7 miles on the odometer when I purchased it. I have never known anyone who owns a TDI, but I have done a fair amount of research prior to this purchase and am mildly mechanically inclined.

I'm wondering if anyone in Utah county has a recommended fueling station. Other places in the forums people have said that diesel at Chevron stations has pretty high cetane. Do we know if this is true here in Utah county?

zuks90idi

Veteran Member
TDI
07 Dodge, 01 B5.5, 99.5 mk4 ALH, 04 Tourage
There isn't enough of a difference in Cetane #'s around here.
We have 2 of our own refinery's in SLC and problably 90% if not 100% of our local stations buy from one of the 2.

Pick a station that has a high volume and is on your regular route.
Keep a good fuel log and reciepts for warranty reasons.
Fill and drive :D

cbass94

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 2011 JSW
Congrats on the purchase! I work in Orem, I'll keep my eye out for you :)

I've heard the same thing about cetane except I heard it with regard to Shell stations, unfortunately I haven't found anything concrete to base that on.

I run B50 in my Merc and B20-B50 in the Jetta, so I usually fill up at Cardwell in Sandy or sometimes DalSoglio. With the emissions treatment on your car, I probably wouldn't recommend biodiesel (except under 5%) for you though.

That being said, because Cardwell is a distributor, you might be able to get some cetane specs (and other specs) directly from them about their fuels (regular diesel specifically). Here's their contact email address: frank@cardwelldist.com or their contact page here: http://www.cardwelldist.com/contact/ If you do find out, please post back!

They've been pretty responsive to me when I've asked questions in the past. Oh, and I'm not expecting you to go up to Sandy to fill up (It's on my way home), but Cardwell distributes all over the state and they could also tell you what stations they service in Utah County. Then, if you like their cetane numbers, you could seek out the stations that they service in Utah County. Make sense? :)

Wasatch

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks! I'm excited to get to know this car better. Since buying the car I've started noticing TDIs in lots of places.

Wasatch

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Last night I took my kids up to Squaw Peak. I think the TDI might be the perfect car for that drive. Lots of torque as well as great handling. It was a lot of fun.

SLVVR6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta
Does anyone know where I can buy (locally, SLC area) some Pentosin 5W-40? What I normally use for my oil and wanted to keep using.

Last edited:

pro5utah

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
There are a couple of places in Orem that sell the Pentosin but I know of none in SLC because I have never looked. Call Parts for Imports in Orem and ask them if they know of anywhere in SLC.
On another note - I am getting ready to do a manifold/intake cleaning on my car and was wondering if anyone has a spare ALH intake manifold off the car that I can swap them for. I would rather be able to just swap them and clean it before tearing in to the car. Anyone?

lurker_101

TDI
none
I'm kinda new on this board and have been lurking for awhile. (hence the name)

Just thought i'd throw out a "Spotted" post.

Spotted: MKVI white golf 4 door going up south mountain in draper. You had a tdiclub sticker in the window. looked really good.

HiltonjaceVwTdi

TDI
2000 VW TDI
hey everyone from utah good to know there are a few members in the same state as me. i have a good idea for a GTG WUSTE FEST in las vegas !!! june 1 -3 ?? anyone interested?? i think alot of people from vwvortex are going but i wanna roll out with fellow tdi owners ?? and thoughts ??

SLVVR6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta
Pretty quite for sure. Anyone have any fun projects they are working on?

cbass94

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 2011 JSW
Well, considering a deer ran into the side of the Sportwagen this morning on the way to work, I have a new project I'm working on :-(

Actually it'll be a body shop rather than myself for this one, but even still, it sucks.

spangenberg

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Relatively new TDI noob here. Had my car about 2 years been running great up until about now. Ive been hearing a loud noise coming from my front right wheel. My guess is its the CV boot or the wheel bearings. Anybody have any experience? I've looked at the trusted mechanic list. Can any of you offer a recommendation?

I'm also coming up on a tranny fluid change here in a bit. Would do it my self, but I dont have any of the tools....

pro5utah

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
I have friends who have had work done at Utah Imports in downtown SLC and have liked them. The previous owner of my brother in laws b5.5 used Streamline Industries in Sugarhouse and vouched for them.

All my work has been done down in Utah county or by myself so I can't give my personal take.

jjohnny

TDI
mk IV golf tdi
New tdi owner here, just got this 01 golf. I have been really impressed with it. It has had some work done to it. I have been looking for about 8 months for one like this, got it out of Ohio. Good to see there are a few TDI folks around, Im in Utah county. Great forum here thanks for all the good information.

Last edited:

pro5utah

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Welcome! You will notice that the Utah forums are pretty quiet these days. I think we are all freezing to death slowly. I need to either get a frostheater or create a front vent cover for this weather!

jjohnny

TDI
mk IV golf tdi
Thank you. Yes its been freezing, hopefully it'll get up atleast into the teens or twenties atleast. Yes I have noticed that its been quiet, I see a decent amount of tdi's around. Sure are rad, I have been really happy with mine. I have had a few decently fast cars, but this has for sure been one of the most fun to drive, and that mileage is great. I need to get one of those covers as well. You here in Utah county pro5?

jjohnny

TDI
mk IV golf tdi
Yeah Im in springville, I work in Lindon, Ill keep my eye out for you, what colors your jetta? My golf is silver, decently dark windows slightly dropped and a trailer hitch.

pro5utah

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
White. Not dropped. Pretty much all stock right now. One of these days I want to get around to putting nozzles in and get a tune - by then i will likely need a clutch as well. The car is my daily driver/commuter so I plan on keeping it for a long time.

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A
I am in Leamington, but travel to Utah County often. I have VCDS and would be willing to help anyone in need.

jjohnny

TDI
mk IV golf tdi
Pro, I will keep my eye out for you then, white looks good, we are thinking of painting ours white. Riflesmith, thanks thats cool of you to offer that, I will definitely take you up on that when I can. Thanks, sounds like you have some diesel experience. This is my first diesel, I have always thought that they are pretty rad. But man, I love this thing, its so dang fun to drive. All the while getting pretty decent mileage. Only bummer is shes the one that usually is driving it. I am looking forward to learning more about it. It has a similar build to your golf it looks like, except the 5th gear change. I will need to put up what mine has in sig thing. How long does it take to get leamington. I like your style, diesels and guns.

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A
Riflesmith, thanks thats cool of you to offer that, I will definitely take you up on that when I can. Thanks, sounds like you have some diesel experience. This is my first diesel, I have always thought that they are pretty rad. But man, I love this thing, its so dang fun to drive. All the while getting pretty decent mileage. Only bummer is shes the one that usually is driving it. I am looking forward to learning more about it. It has a similar build to your golf it looks like, except the 5th gear change. I will need to put up what mine has in sig thing. How long does it take to get leamington. I like your style, diesels and guns.
Thanks for the kind words. I have been driving diesel passenger vehicles since 1982. It has become a hobby, of sorts. Don't claim to know it all though. There is always something left to be learned, but I am enjoying it along the way. Leamington is 75 miles SW of Provo. I do visit Utah County often, so that is an option as well.

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
Been on here for a while but never checked in here. '10 Sportwagen with 55k on it.

I have vcds for mk5+ cars in Cedar City/St. George area.

kennedcx

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Hey guys, I'm in Eagle Mountain, UT. Just bought a 2013 Jetta TDI and need someone in the area with a VCDS setup to enable the following after I get my Westfalia hitch installed.

- Remote Windows/Sunroof via Keyfob
- Enable Towing
- Change 3 blink comfort turn signals to 5 blink

However, I'm fairly computer saavy (I'm a software engineer), if you think me buying the VCDS cable and software would be better in the long run then I can do that grant it it's not got a steap learning curve.