Boost problem? Cannot figure this out!

d1saint

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI automagic
Ok,...2003 jetta, ALH engine with an automatic transmission. While driving in 3rd or 4th gear (OD), if you are cruising down the road at a constant speed (say 45 mph) and begin going up a hill or need a little additional speed... and apply a little more throttle... I swear if this car was a gas car it was skipping. Under a light load you can feel this "skip" in the steering wheel. I have noticed that the rpms can be between 1600-2400 and this skip is very evident. At that point the car down shifts and all is well. At first I felt the trans. was beginning to slip, but I'm really not so sure now. I seem to think the boost level is not correct and ... I don't know. I really need some help on this one. Here is the tough part...this car was a basket case when I bought it, so I can't say when this problem started...but it is here now and won't go away. I have read for hours about different ideas online with shuddering, skipping, and surging... I would call this a "skip" feeling, but without the skip fixes. hehe Please send the suggestions... I have racked my noggin' long enough.
thanks,

d1saint

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI automagic
104,000 miles, I have vag-com here but i have no idea what you mean by "need to meet FrankO or if Freddie will sing".... please explain.

d1saint

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI automagic
I would agree with you a bit on this one... its almost like I have found a "sweet spot" where the trans is in 4th, but could be in 3rd for better accel,... I may trying recoding the trans. from economy or factory setting to the sport setting and see if it helps at all. Any other ideas???

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Frank0 referes to headwork being needed and Freddie (sic) refers to an automatic transmission going South.

It's an inside joke here. :D