1998 Beetle TDI Temp Sensor

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
From what I read the 99 up sensor is different than the 98. Is the 98 a 2 pin like this one:

Or is it a 4 pin like this one (or it could be square?):

If the 4 pin, where is it located on a 98 beetle TDI?

Thanks,

Don

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Is it this blue one at the back of the block driver side?

The one just to the left of the battery in line in the top rad hose is the 2 pin sensor.

Don

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
I hate that sensor. My 2001 New Beetle uses the 4 pin , the green pictured above.
I replaced it in June, bought a new one at Autozone for like $15 or so.
November when the weather got cold , it started to leak, I pulled it out , replaced the O ring with a generic one, and sealed it with ATV High temp black silicone.
I can't believe VW makes a sensor that does not bolt to the block. This one is just pushed in, held in by a plastic clip.

:mad:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I hate that sensor. My 2001 New Beetle uses the 4 pin , the green pictured above.
I replaced it in June, bought a new one at Autozone for like $15 or so.
November when the weather got cold , it started to leak, I pulled it out , replaced the O ring with a generic one, and sealed it with ATV High temp black silicone.
I can't believe VW makes a sensor that does not bolt to the block. This one is just pushed in, held in by a plastic clip.

:mad:
Try buying an OEM sensor. Autozone sells junk.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I used OEM, $35.00 including the clip and o ring. It fixed my problem.

Thanks for the help.

Don

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
The 2 pin sensor that is inserted into the radiator hose is part of the AC system. The AC will only work when the coolant is at a certain temperature.