B5 Passat TDI manual transmission swap

TDI
15 A3 TDI/manual, 15 Golf TDI, 14 Cayenne TDI, 74 Thing.
Picked up an 04 model about 2 weeks ago with 135K with a bum auto. Luckily enough, scored a running/driving V6/5spd car a couple days later on the cheap - and the rest is history.

Did a little bit of research before jumping in, but I'm more a hands on kind of guy. Didn't really see any description of the wiring involved (I didn't search that hard, I'll be honest), so I figured I'd share in an effort to give back a bit.

Backstory - I've wired lots of stuff, I'm a wiring guy. Manual swaps in almost everything, FSI engines into mk1's - you name it, I can wire it. With that said, this was probably the easiest wiring modification I've ever had to make.

Reverse lights. The reverse light switch on the trans utilizes a 5 pin connector - but only 2 wires are used. Take the 10 pin connector that used to plug into the multi-function switch on your automatic trans (the D connector, not the round cannon-plug). Snip the wires in pins 7 & 8 and run those to your reverse light switch connector. It doesn't matter which one goes to which, either way works. That's it. You now have reverse lights working.

Brake lights. Some swaps won't need this at all. My donor car was an 01.5, which utilized the older style brake light switch. This is also super simple, all the wires match up color for color except one. (The TDI car used a Red/white wire for ignition power, the older car used a black/blue wire). Simple regardless, snip away and reconnect.

Clutch switches. You'll have 2 switches, both using 2 pin connectors. The upper one is for the starting circuit. Simple. Run one wire to a good ground (I used a ring terminal attached to one of the steering column mount bolts). The other wire will go to the starter interlock relay (2nd row up, far right, basic 53 relay). The bottom wire (85), I believe it was blue/black, snip that and run it to your upper clutch switch. This will ground the relay when you depress the clutch and allow the starter to function. It used to get ground from the multi-function switch on the auto trans when it was in park or neutral.

Finally, the lower clutch switch. This is going to keep your revs from hanging, and allow cruise control function. 1 wire (again, it doesn't matter which) will simply tap off of pin#3 on the brake light switch. It's merely ignition power. You can get this from anywhere you want really, but the OEM location was a splice in that same harness, and it just happens to be the easiest place IMHO. The other wire will run to the ECM to pin#43 on the (larger) 94 pin connector.

You'll need an ECM repair wire for this obviously, I keep them in stock so I don't have a part number handy. I also highly recommend quality wiring components (I use heat shrinkable crimp connectors exclusively, properly crimped and heatshrunk - delcity has a great selection).

That's it! Sorry if this has been covered before, just wanted to throw it out there while it was fresh in my mind.

Other random thoughts. I HIGHLY recommend this swap. Even if you budget it out. I used the Valeo 1.8T clutch kit/flywheel from ECS. V6 parts car for virtually everything else. It drives incredible. With the V6 trans, I'm running 45 in 4th gear @ 2k rpm. I'm running 72 on the highway in 5th @ 2800rpm. Being a Malone dealer, I obviously used them for the tune, and it's flawless. Cruise and everything else works as it should. The 1.8T pilot bearing works perfectly, and DOES NOT COME WITH THE CLUTCH KIT! Luckily, I had one in stock so didn't lose any downtime. As carefully as I planned this out, that was the one bit I overlooked.

As of now, I notice no vibration or anything from the driveline. It drives like OEM. I'm probably going to go ahead and delete the BSM before I sell her just because of the mileage, and we'll see how she acts then, but I expect to be pleased.

And, that's all I got! I hope this helps someone at some point down the line. If you're pondering this swap, and somewhat local, I'll gladly toss ya the keys anytime. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer as best I can.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Thanks for the write up. So the rpm hang up between shifts is because I don't have a clutch switch installed yet? Some said it was because of the ECU is tunned for automatic transmission and the manual ECU flash will fix the hang up.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Man, good thing I didn't keep that V6 Audi I had for the trans, that gearing is awful. It probably feels pretty peppy, though.

The automatics (and proper diesel manuals) turn 2500 at 80 in 5th. But the hard part is already done, you can always swap the gearbox later on if you like, and those are easy to R&R.

TDI
15 A3 TDI/manual, 15 Golf TDI, 14 Cayenne TDI, 74 Thing.
Thanks for the write up. So the rpm hang up between shifts is because I don't have a clutch switch installed yet? Some said it was because of the ECU is tunned for automatic transmission and the manual ECU flash will fix the hang up.
Honestly, I doubt it. I never drove this car with the automatic tune still in place, but I can only imagine it would rev hang like crazy. I've done several other gasser swaps like this, and they always rev hung, all the way back to ABA's even. What my clutch switch fixed was a very minor thing.

Man, good thing I didn't keep that V6 Audi I had for the trans, that gearing is awful. It probably feels pretty peppy, though.
The automatics (and proper diesel manuals) turn 2500 at 80 in 5th. But the hard part is already done, you can always swap the gearbox later on if you like, and those are easy to R&R.
Indeed, and I'm already on the hunt.

perry-vw-

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI Cup (Malone Stage 2) / 05 Passat wagon TDI (Malone Stage 1.5, BSM, 5 speed manual) / 90 Corrado (work in progress)
You are correct that it is the tune causing the rpm hang up and a reflash will fix it. It is kind of a pain to drive it with the auto tune, but if you shift slowly it's not bad. Once you get the manual tune it is a lot of fun. What really gets me is how fast my car accelerates at highway speeds.:)

Alcancia

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2005 Passat wagon
Awesome information! Even better timing. I just finished bolting up the subframe and putting the engine compartment back together last night.

Not really a wiring question, but an electrical one none the less: it's only the ECU and ABS modules that have to be re-coded with VCDS, correct?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can someone please post the procedure for the Gateway and ABS coding? I know this is already out there but would be good to have it here too.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Can someone please post the procedure for the Gateway and ABS coding? I know this is already out there but would be good to have it here too.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4115670&postcount=11

Can/Gateway: Set coding to 006. Same as before but it will force the gateway to relearn installed modules.

ABS - Recode:
Login to enable coding 09555
Recode to 04255
NOW perform steering angle sensor calibration. (Failure to compelete this will cause the coding not to complete.) Login to enable Basic Settings (40168)
Perform G85 calibration in Basic Settings group 001

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
Picked up an 04 model about 2 weeks ago with 135K with a bum auto. Luckily enough, scored a running/driving V6/5spd car a couple days later on the cheap - and the rest is history.
Did a little bit of research before jumping in, but I'm more a hands on kind of guy. Didn't really see any description of the wiring involved (I didn't search that hard, I'll be honest), so I figured I'd share in an effort to give back a bit.
Backstory - I've wired lots of stuff, I'm a wiring guy. Manual swaps in almost everything, FSI engines into mk1's - you name it, I can wire it. With that said, this was probably the easiest wiring modification I've ever had to make.
Reverse lights. The reverse light switch on the trans utilizes a 5 pin connector - but only 2 wires are used. Take the 10 pin connector that used to plug into the multi-function switch on your automatic trans (the D connector, not the round cannon-plug). Snip the wires in pins 7 & 8 and run those to your reverse light switch connector. It doesn't matter which one goes to which, either way works. That's it. You now have reverse lights working.
Brake lights. Some swaps won't need this at all. My donor car was an 01.5, which utilized the older style brake light switch. This is also super simple, all the wires match up color for color except one. (The TDI car used a Red/white wire for ignition power, the older car used a black/blue wire). Simple regardless, snip

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI

Made an access hole to remove that bottom bolt holding the servo unit in place. Just too tight in there and figured this would be easier. 1-1/4 hole saw. Just be careful if you are doing this as you have a wire almost directly behind just push it down out of the way.
Will need a rubber grommet to plug but should be available.

Now have access to install hard clutch line with servo removed. You can see the hole in bottom of bullhead where rubber grommet on line goes through to gearbox below.

Alcancia

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2005 Passat wagon
^x2. I cut an access hole there too. Mostly because the fluid reservoir bolt was stripped. In fact, I left all the brake lines and fluid reservoir on and just moved the brake booster enough to fish the clutch line up through that bulkhead. Not that big of deal, but it does save me from having to bleed the brakes. Regardless, any future brake service that requires removal of the booster just got a whole bunch easier.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
Quick question,

What brand of gear oil did you use, assuming you refilled it.
Frans sent mine from Holland so its empty. Made some good progress today and plan on
Installing tomorrow.

This has been discussed http://www.pennzoil.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Pennzoil+Synthetic+75S-90+GL-4+GL-5+ALL.pdf

Some discussion on synthetic and brass bushings and syncros. Didn't overly engrossed in reading so give me a decent name and I'm good to go.
DUK box probably from an 01 or so 1.9

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, picked up some redline today (4g) and have a lot of naysayers as to hard shifting in cold weather.
I know this has been discussed until the cows are well asleep and then some....
But and its a BIG Kadeshian BUTT, why the hating .

It meets the specs of synthetic. I currently have it in the box and ready to install tomorrow.
Give me a reason why not.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
I only ever use OEM stuff, it is so good I've never understood why anyone would want to mess around with anything but.

However, the longitudinal VAG gearboxes require a hypoid friendly lube, unlike the transverse gearboxes. That's why there is a different part number. G-052-911-A2 for the 012s.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
06' Jetta TDI dsg, 445,000 miles and counting!
I only ever use OEM stuff, it is so good I've never understood why anyone would want to mess around with anything but.
However, the longitudinal VAG gearboxes require a hypoid friendly lube, unlike the transverse gearboxes. That's why there is a different part number. G-052-911-A2 for the 012s.
^^^:cool: Chris and others, words from the wise right here!^^^

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OEM = Aftermarket made by the company that makes the OE parts for VW. OE = Original Equipment. OEM = Original Equipement Manufacturer ( Lower quality than OE). Many people think OEM.is the stff you buy at the dealer and its not so.

oilhammer

TDI
OK, just to clarify, I use the stuff that has the VW/Audi logo on the bottle, has their part number, and all their little artwork. I do not necessarily get it from the dealer, and I have no idea who actually makes it.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
I've come down with a nasty bug. Blew a main seal in yhe rear if you know what I mean. Shakes and sweats, but hopefully the worst has passed.
Back to our regurlary scheduled programming...

Question on the oil capacity of these boxes?

From what I've read most agree on around 2.3 to 2.5 quarts.
Now the box I have and assume most have has a port hole to check oil level.
After putting in the required amount nothing shows in port hole. I then added the remainder of the quart for a total of 3 quarts.
Still nothing in the check hole. If I tilt the box I can get some to show.

Is this supposed to be checked when hot and the oil expands?

Does the box actually take more fluid from a complete drain to dry what Frans did for shipping?
I may start from scratch and get the OE fluid if I can get the quantity correct.

As a side not the V6 mount bracket partially blocks that port hole. You can unscrew it but not enought room to thread it all the way out.
Not a big deal as I can't imagine it would need checking all that often.

Ok did some more digging.

Audi manual transmission fluid VW G 052 911 A2 specification is used in inline mounted Audi 5 and 6 speed manual transmissions.

Some Audi G 052 911 A2 Applications and Capacities:
• Inline mounted 5 speed 01A has 2.75L capacity
• Inline mounted 5 speed 012 has 2.25L capacity
• Inline mounted 6 speed 01E has 2.5L capacity (Trans Code EDU,FTG,FZG,FZY,FYF,GBE)
• Inline mounted 6 speed 01E has 3.3L capacity (Trans Code EHS,FTJ)
• Inline mounted 6 speed 0A3 has 2.5L capacity (Trans Code FVD)
• Inline mounted 6 speed 0A3 has 3.2L capacity (Trans Code HEP,HSM,HVM,JMF,JMH,HLD)
• Inline mounted 6 speed 02X has 3.5L capacity (Trans Code GVE,GYY)
• Inline mounted 6 speed 02X has 3.5L capacity (Trans Code GJW,GJV)
• Inline mounted 6 speed 0B2 has 4.8L capacity (Trans Code KCA,LLT,KMR,HRQ,LLX,LCZ)
• Inline mounted 6 speed 0B4 has 4.8L capacity (Trans Code KMU,LDG)

In most cases the Audi 5 speed manual transmission fluid capacity is always between 2.25L and 2.75L. For proper Audi 6 speed manual transmission fluid capacity it is best to know what transmission type or code it is.

Manual Transmission Fluid Change Intervals:
• Typically it is best to change your Audi manual transmission fluid every 70,000-100,000 miles depending on driving conditions. For heavy city transmission shifting or performance minded enthusiast, we recommend more frequent Audi manual transmission fluid changes. For light driving conditions, we recommend less frequent Audi gearbox oil fluid changes.

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=J1C1002-A

Last edited:

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Well that trans selector switch you just cut up is worth about $150 on the used market, so I'd suggest not doing that.

I made a mini harness that takes care of the reverse light switch and the starter relay.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I used MTL for a little bit, both in an 012 longitudinal 5spd and an 02J transverse 5spd, it sucked really bad in the 02j and really wasn't great in the 012, switched to G052 in both and it is much much better.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Titan Fuchs Sinto Fluid has worked excellent for all the Audi gearboxes I've serviced. It's a direct cross over to the factory fluid as well.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Titan Sinto? Wow. I would have thought that it would be too thin? comes up at ~6.5 CST at 100c. Good to know - I ran Titan Sintofluid in my 02A in the winter and liked it alot - just concerned about the friendliness to hypoid gears.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
My local VW dealer wants $32.50 a quart.
This stuff is approved by ZF , half the price.

When you say Titan Fuchs is direct crossover to factory is it approved by VW/Audi?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well that trans selector switch you just cut up is worth about $150 on the used market, so I'd suggest not doing that.

I made a mini harness that takes care of the reverse light switch and the starter relay.
I don't think he cut up the selector switch, only cut off the plug, like many here, including me.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok I got the OE fluid. Turns out when I went to the dealer and told the parts guy what I was doing, a guy in the back came out and I knew him from a different dealership.
He had seen some of my posts and was following along. He had done me a solid when my glow plug broke a couple years back.
Long story short he had oil put to his acct and got inside price. Also loaned me the clutch centering tool.
So shoutout to Paul and Mark @ Danbury VW.
Clutch is in and Bled. Putting in extra bolt to hold cable to starter.
Tryingj to figure the electric connections.
I have the connector from V6 to fit reverse light on box.
Cut wires 7/8 on D connector and splice.
Question: can I cut the remainder of that plug off when I splice these two wires.

I had a 40amp fuse from an old harness that I rigged to jump the safety relay.

I had to twist one of the spade connectors on fuse as one on relay was vertical and one horizontal.
Trimmed with snips and it slips right in.

I don't have a neutral safety switch so hopefully this will work for now.
Does anyone have a link to picture of pin on ecu to run wire from kick down switch?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I cut the harness and only left the two wires for the reverse light switch exposed. Others have done the same before me.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
Pictures are for illustration purposes only. All connections should be verified and the usual disclaimer applies.
The gray wire on back of accelerator switch pin #1

This is the same gray wire you see below at pin #59
[/URL]
This comes out of 59 and goes into 43..
[/URL][/IMG][
Please note the picture below is a bit misleading. The pin goes into slot directly left of Red and Blue wire. This is a shot from back where pin goes in after removing from slot 59, Goes in slot where red arrow is pointing below/SIZE]

Last edited: