Help me install my BHW 2.0 tdi in a boat!!!

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Im picking up two passat sedans. One 04 and one 05

The donor for the boat has 177k

The other will be given the tranny so the gf can replace her beat up saturn.

The boat is a 1978 carver santa cruz. It's a fly bridge pleasure boat. She is about 5500 lbs. Max speed i want to go is low 20s. The official boat model is a 2566. It is basically a 26 ft boat. About 8 ft tall at the flybridge for catching sunsets and looking for schools of fish.

The l.o.w. is 21 ft
Draft is 2ft 10 inches
Beam is 8 ft
Modifed v hull

Will get on plane around 16 mph

Power needed to get on plane per Carver is 60 hp.

Ill be attaching the engine to the alpha outdrive with 1.5 gear ratio. Im still not 100% sure what prop i will use. Im more concerned with torque to get up and on plane than mph. Id rather plane quickly and top out and cruise comfortably at 20 mph than struggle and cruise at 25

Plans for the motor( input is welcome)
Examine cam. If there is any wear replace cam and lifters. Keeping this part cheap until bugs are worked out
New timing belt and water pump
Delete the ballance shaft
Have whitebread map and rework my ecu. All i want is ecu, glow plug relay, throttle pedal and harness.

I have been planning on making my own adapter however it seems I might have issues with idle vibrations if i dont put more mass to the flexplate

Its easy to center my gimball coupler and bolt it on. Keeping 4 independent motor mounts to keep vibes off the hull

A dual mass flywheel has a reputation of exploding. I don't want metal parts flying in my hull or thru my hull.

I can hack off the front of the transmission assembly to mount my starter. I still have to find a heavier single mass flywheel to work. Any recommendations?

Other option is to buy the sbc gastodiesel conversion. This would allow the sbc flywheel to be used giving way more mass and hopefully a nice smooth idle. Obviously i don't wanna spend 1100 bucks if it's not needed.

I believe i need a slightly larger turbo. I believe a waste gated turbo perhaps? I prefer one with water cooling as well as oil center. Is the g22 too big? Want something reasonably priced and available in the states.

I will heat wrap and ceramic wool and turbo blanket the hot parts. I will water inject the down pipe for cooling.

My goal is 170 to 200 hp. Torque, with the tune at 310 ft lbs it already has plenty.

Should i replace injectors? Just tips?

I dont want to push too much power to her. Reliability and economy is key.

If she does well all season ill then go back and do a colt or similar stage 2 cam.

Im afriad 170hp and 310ft lbs torque will eat my outdrive in a season. If it works well i will upgrade to a bravo.

Do i need a photobucket to post pics?

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
That's pretty cool! Boats are a bit out of my realm of expertise, though I have supplied TDI aircraft /blimp engines in the past...

Looks like you have a good list you're starting with, stock injectors are good to 170 hp, I'd probably leave it alone unless you find you want more power.

For posting pics, go to http://pics.tdiclub.com/

Cheers!
-BB

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
When do diesel owners not want more power?

No one with recommendations on flywheel weights or turbo?

Keep stock turbo manifold? Aftermarket? Ease of heat wrapping is key, having both manifolds share the same side will make this a chore as i want intake temps low

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I would need to look at specific propeller curves of the prop you will be using, but I would drive it direct and not 1.5, especially when you're targeting 20 knots. That's for a gasser way of thinking. You will thank me huge for the lower fuel burn and decibels.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
There is no direct drive for a stern drive that i am aware of and that includes factory yanmar, mercruiser and volvo small 1.7 to 2.5 diesel motors. I have tried to find what ratios were used with no luck so far.

The alpha comes in only these gear ratios
120 & 140 4 cylinder 1991 thru present 1.93 / 20-24
175 & 4.3 V-6 1991 thru present 1.81 / 17-19
198 V-8 1991 thru present 1.62 / 24-24
198 thru 260
1991 thru present 1.47 / 20-22

The only other converted diesel carver i know of uses a little 50 or so hp isuzu 2.2 i believe with max 2800 or so hp. No turbo. He is a long range hull speed cruiser around 1800 rpms. 10 mph max. He is using the 1.98 ratio

The other user here with a 1.9 tdi in his 25 ft sea ray (similar weight as well as hull design) is using the same gear ratio as i am which is stock for the v8

The stock v8 is at about 23 mph at 3200 rpms. At around 4000 to 4250 you'll hit maybe 32 empty.

Keep in mind all my goals and info is in mph not knots. I want comfortable on plane crusing around 3000 rpms at @ 20 mph.

I hope the torque plateau will allow me to plane closer to 16 to 18 mph at 2800 rpms. Im not holding my breath here.

Direct drive would not be possible in this boat and it's also power robing, takes up more space and makes low speed maneuvering harder. Not to mention harder to trailer. Direct drive = full inboard. My boat is a inboard/outboard.

I dont care to reach 30mph or even 25 mph. I just want to comfortably get on plane and cruise without having to run the motor at her redline. Id like crusing rpms to be as close to 3000 rpms or lower as possible. The purpose of this swap is fuel economy

The v8 would get 2 miles to a gallon on a good day. I hope to double that

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Then use the numerically smallest ratio drive you can find.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
That would be the 1.47 (i rounded to 1.5) correct? Mathematics and ratios are not my strong suit.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
I don't see a problem with the 1.47 ratio. Just run more pitch on your prop to compensate for the reduction. Might take a little trial and error with different props but should be able to find one that will get your rpm's where you want them.
I'd recommend a flywheel around 28lbs or even heavier if you can find one. A few pounds won't make any difference on a boat like that and the heavier the flywheel the smoother it will be.
You already know my recommendation for a turbo. Imo no need for anything bigger at the power levels your targeting, plus the gtb2056vl is watercooled. Moving up to the 2260 will make it noticeably laggier. Meister's the turbo expert around here though, listen to any advice he gives you.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Im still hoping to find a turbo that is stocked stateside.

The 1.47 alpha will give me the comfortable crusing speeds between 3000 and 3500rpms of between 20 and 25 mph

Even with a stock boat and stock engine guys play with prop sizes for years to find that perfect prop. I no doubt will have to do the same. I want as close to 3000 as possible. 2800 would be ideal but i dont think i can prop that much

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I got the first of the 2 passats home this morning. Was hoping to get both this weeekend but a flat tire on the tow dolly will keep me from making a 3 hr trip to get the passat number 2.

This one looks amazing, drives great and other than an oil leak no issues. They said their mechanic thought it was the turbo. I am seeing oil drip from the charge pipe.

It appears to be leaking at back side of oil pan too, don't know a whole lot about these motors yet but looks to be rear main. She has about 220k on her

The passat number 2 im getting for the motor. Has a bad tranny, 177k. I'll put the 225k engine and tranny in which ever body looks the best.

Passat number 2 has no reported oil leaks or turbo issues so I'll at least have a good spare turbo to throw on passat number 1.

The little lady still has to make her mind up. Either i sell her saturn or i sell the good running passat to continue the funding of this project.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Picked up the donor passat yestday morning. As soon as the lower back and weather cooperate the I'll start dismantling.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
seems like oil leaks always end up at the back of the pan. Boost leaks are pretty common. Sounds like a cool project.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Has anyone found a way to get the stock egt to be read on an Android using torque or other generic obd2 reader?

For my gauges (iat, water, oil, boost) i plan on using a tablet.

I have two helms on this boat. One cozy spot inside when its too hot or too cold or too wet

Another up top for scouting for fish, better vision for shallows or just enjoying the sun.

I'll have a cheap tablet for inside where it's always dry

Ill get a tablet with at least a water proof case for top

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Would you guys recomend deleting the egr on this set up?

Also since the tandem pump must be retained can i just plug the vaccuum hose that attaches at the fire wall?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok. I just want to get all my plans down before i send the ecu to the tuner. I would like to only do this once.

Should i need or want to upgrade the cam to a colt or similar would i need a retune?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
And the reasin i ask about the egt gauge is. Because it is a 26ft long boat. 2 egt gauges, one sitting 8ft high in the flybridge.

That's a lot of special wiring! And 2 probes and 2 gauges.

Anyone know of any alternatives?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Thats all i can post right now. Uploading photos through a 3rd party host with a phone that has sufficient memrory but keeps saying insufficient memory is a nightmare

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
92 4Runner-ALH Swap In Progress
No need to send the ECU out, it should be able to be flashed over OBD2. You will still need vacuum to control the turbo. I would certainly recommend an EGR delete as well as intake flap. What is your plan for a lift pump? Tandem pump needs around 10 psi fuel pressure. I'm planning a similar project for this summer so I'm subscribed!

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
If I had to run an egt gauge that far I'd probably be looking into an arduino. Only need the one probe and set it up in the doghouse. Just run some generic multicondiuctor to the screens and call it good. No need for two gauges or any fancy thermocouple wire. You could either run the two screens off the same pins or you can run two screens separately if your using i2c. Much cheaper but definitely higher cost time wise.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
No need to send the ECU out, it should be able to be flashed over OBD2.
Yes the tuning can be done 100% over OBD even for a manual conversion.

However, the immo needs to be removed.