Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

Tornado TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
I'm reluctant to say anything at this point (sheepishly cowed) but I expect Cdn values for the "trade in" figure will be somewhat elevated given that we typically pay more for vehicles.
redfaced Greg
That's what I'm hoping for too.
We pay more for the same car up here.
Our buyback numbers should be higher.
It will be in Canadian dollars though because we buy in Canadian dollars.
I have a 2015 Jetta highline 6MT with 6200 KM.
If we get a similar deal to the US but in Cdn $ it comes out to around $28000.
I could be doing it wrong thought because I see people on the forum with the same car saying they would get $30,000. :confused:
I got a call from the local dealer today saying they will have a great deal for me to get into a Jetta gasser.
I told them if we get an offer the same as the Americans they would have to give me a lot of money to get me out of my car.
I'm going to go in tomorrow and see what their idea of a great deal is.
Should be good for a laugh. :D

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI
One thing I noticed about Canadian models, which is lacking in the US calculator are trim levels. Such as Highline, which by default add heated leather seats which significantly add to the base price.

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
Still looks to me that the best deal will be to drive it until all the options are ready to expire then take the money in 2018 or whenever they put an end to the buyout.
The email I posted also came by snail mail a couple of days later. Being Canadian I'm not much on court action but maybe someone has to do it.
So in the immediate time I will just wait till end of July to reformulate my options. But that Audi etron has caught my interest with the buyout money and the Ontario grant I could get one for under 15K.

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Still looks to me that the best deal will be to drive it until all the options are ready to expire then take the money in 2018 or whenever they put an end to the buyout.
The email I posted also came by snail mail a couple of days later. Being Canadian I'm not much on court action but maybe someone has to do it.
So in the immediate time I will just wait till end of July to reformulate my options. But that Audi etron has caught my interest with the buyout money and the Ontario grant I could get one for under 15K.
I've taken a look and a few drives in the A3 e-tron. Very nicely equipped car, quite fun to drive still too. I've been looking at that and the BMW i3. Between the buyout and Ontario incentives they're some interesting options.

Tornado TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
One thing I noticed about Canadian models, which is lacking in the US calculator are trim levels. Such as Highline, which by default add heated leather seats which significantly add to the base price.
My highline came with heated leather seats.
What they don't give me credit for is the $1000+ dollars I paid for the Bi-Xenon
light option. :confused: But they do subtract $900 because I have a manual. :rolleyes:

I did go to the dealer today to check out a 2016 Golf R. :)

They wanted $4000 over MSRP. :p
I told them that would not work for me. :D

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I just went through the calculations for my 2011 GSW TDI w/DSG, 74,000 km, and the US buyback value seems to come out to around $21,600. If VW Canada follows the US, this would be ok with me.
This is pretty much what I have, along with sunroof and NAV (Highline).
I'd be happy to sell back this for a 2017 wagon with light package at a minimum. I'm okay leaving the diesel stable - had plenty so far, but I don't drive as much now, and I like the TSI in my wife's '15 Golf.
Only sad part is I've got a DSG tune + Malone Stage 2. Also have some Buzzken parts underneath. I'd hate to give that up if there isn't a really good incentive to trade-in.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat Comfortline TDI, DSG
If you read the documents that were filed in the States last week, it is fairly clear that VW has no viable/economic solution for the 2.0 non-SCR engines. I think VW will have no choice but to buy them back, put them in containers, and ship them to China for resale.

They can't force you to sell your car to them, so they will have to make it worth your while.

The wrinkle is that, for those of us in Ontario, I could see the provincial government refusing to renew registration stickers. In that case, we will have to take whatever VW is offering. But that move would almost guarantee that Magna would be shut out of supplying parts to VW, which would involve Ontario job losses.
What you say makes total sense. On the other hand, VW hasn't done very much lately that has made sense :). I'm wondering how interested the Ontario government would be in enforcing the emission standards. Perhaps they will negotiate an agreement whereby they will state that a fix is in the works, and will be applied once available or they will pay the government a fine. Still, July 29th isn't that far away so all we can do right now is wait and hope for the best.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Definitely a sensible option! The only risk that I can envision right now is the possibility of a write-off due to accident. Since insurance companies pay market value for a write-off, and especially since our vehicles have taken such a hit in resale value, there could be a definite difference between what is owing on the vehicle and what it is actually worth (unless you own it outright). Now, if the car is less than 2 years old (like mine), you might have a "Loss of Depreciation" waiver on your policy that is valid for 2 years from date of purchase. If this is the case, then you will be covered for MSRP if the vehicle is written off. I checked this with my insurance company a couple of weeks ago. Once that waiver expires, however, it is a different story.

bboshart

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline 6M Sports Package
If VW Canada does not offer buybacks, I think it would be a huge miscalculation on their part. They need to settle this as soon as possible and move on.

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
My highline came with heated leather seats.
What they don't give me credit for is the $1000+ dollars I paid for the Bi-Xenon
light option. :confused: But they do subtract $900 because I have a manual. :rolleyes:
That is me for our 2015 Golf Sportwagen + we spent about $1200 on a 10 year warranty. I guess we lose out on that as well :(.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
As has been noted MANY times in this discussion, if you have an extended warranty, and it was from a reputable company, you should be able to get a rebate for the portion of that warranty that will go unused. Talk to your warranty provider.

If you bought a cheap warranty from a fly-by-night, you're on your own.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
I can't even find anything online stating that the class action has been certified here. I found a lot of references to scheduled hearings in June regarding the status of the class action and whether it will be certified or not (and which legal group will be leading the class action), but nothing actually stating it has been certified.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
Dear Father,

Please forgive me...I may have sinned. Today, I sat in a new Ford Focus hatchback and its attractive price had me thinking thoughts that were not pure.

Could I drive a cheap Ford?
Could I get 42 mpg highway?
Could I just consider this a cheapo car to hold until the warranty is up?

BigWorm

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
VW was slick stating that the cars in canada will mirror what happens in the states, then left us in the dark, they know canada is a small market and won't do shart.

Man I'm done being pissed off at VW and waiting. My Passat had some minor maintenance that I was holding back on DGS oil change, Squeaky front break, and a blown front passenger fender speaker. This week I'm fixing it all and I'm going to run my Passat until the last day I'm legally allowed to. I don't care about the kilometers I put on as a commuter, for $400 dollars and a call to "the Russians" in Toronto that can be fixed :)

I'm looking for a nice diesel Mercedes ML instead of a Touareg now.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
VW was slick stating that the cars in canada will mirror what happens in the states, then left us in the dark, they know canada is a small market and won't do shart.

Man I'm done being pissed off at VW and waiting. My Passat had some minor maintenance that I was holding back on DGS oil change, Squeaky front break, and a blown front passenger fender speaker. This week I'm fixing it all and I'm going to run my Passat until the last day I'm legally allowed to. I don't care about the kilometers I put on as a commuter, for $400 dollars and a call to "the Russians" in Toronto that can be fixed :)

I'm looking for a nice diesel Mercedes ML instead of a Touareg now.
I have enough left on one of those VW "we appreciate you" cards for my 90,000km service. Trying to hang on as long as possible by putting mileage on other vehicles before doing the service, but I think that eventually it will be the same thing for me: I just hate to give them any more money. Maybe if they show some form of progress by July 29th, it will be a bit different story.

As for the "nice diesel Mercedes ML instead of Touareg" I'm of the same mind, but substitute "Subaru WRX".

Tornado TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Boy it really depends on how you look at it and what numbers you use.

If we get the same deal as the US my buy back including compensation ($7300) would be $28000.

Without compensation it is $20,700. (Trade in value.)

I paid $33000 for the car. (before tax and PDI and all the other crap they add)
$33000- $28000 = $5000 loss. With compensation.

If you do not include the compensation.
$33000 - $20700 = $12,300 Loss.

Total paid for the car including taxes Etc. is about $36000.
$ 36000 - $28000 = $8000 loss. Including compensation.

Not including compensation.
$36000 - $20,700 = $15,300 loss.

If you add the $2000 that I put into the suspension.
$36000 + $2000 - $28000 = $10,000 loss. Including compensation.

$36000 + $2000 - $20700 = $17,300 loss. Without compensation.

So depending on which numbers you use I will lose $5000 to $17,300. Edit: Added goodwill money. So $4000 to $16,300.

On a car that is a 2015 with 6200 KM on it.

Ouch.

I'll probably take the fix and $7300 compensation and keep the car.

If I don't like the fix I will use some of VW's compensation money to get it unfixed.

Last edited:

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Don't count your chickens

Volkswagen Canada (@VWcanada)
2016-06-28, 8:56 AM
@Brycerxx Thanks for your patience. Repairs require approval by the U.S. EPA. Once approved, they’d be offered to VW customers in Canada.

Think we're going to be waiting awhile. Zzzz...

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Volkswagen Canada (@VWcanada)
2016-06-28, 8:56 AM
@Brycerxx Thanks for your patience. Repairs require approval by the U.S. EPA. Once approved, they’d be offered to VW customers in Canada.

Think we're going to be waiting awhile. Zzzz...
I have words to express my reaction, but I don't think I can post them. :)

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
This is funny...

VW Canada Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/vwcanada?lang=en

Proudly announcing the deal in the U.S. and then having a link stating "What does it mean for Canadian customers...". I have to believe they are going to do something for us, otherwise why would they dangle bits of information like this?

JohnNS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
I can't even find anything online stating that the class action has been certified here. I found a lot of references to scheduled hearings in June regarding the status of the class action and whether it will be certified or not (and which legal group will be leading the class action), but nothing actually stating it has been certified.
Taken from VW Canada's FB ( https://www.facebook.com/vwcanada/) feed:

"Mike LeClair So here we sit and wait another month here in Canada. And then another month after that for court approval!
Sit tight folks, we won't have anything finalized in Canada until at least Sept or Oct."

Reply: "Volkswagen Hi Mike,

In Canada, proposed consumer class proceedings are in settlement discussions. The parties involved are aiming to update the courts by July 29, 2016. We hope that helps."

A few replies to other people seem to indicate an active class action discussion.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Taken from the same VW feed (not sure how correct it is, but REALLY interesting if it is correct):

So, there's a ton of moving parts in this, and of course it was written for the USA. What VW Canada has to do is craft something similar to this for Canada. The reason they need to match is simple, Canadian cars can be imported into the US with no restrictions... And they can also be driven in the US with no restrictions (they are EPA certified just like the cars destined for the US are). As such, they need to be treated the same, in effect, to get as many fixed or off the road as possible.

Just like the $1000 goodwill offer, but we just need to wait for VW Canada to 'Canadafy' it... And as long as they use Canadian dollars and Canadian trade in values, we will all come out ahead.

Brings up some interesting points about having to correct/remove vehicles here in Canada otherwise they could be snuck into the U.S. and driven there, which would otherwise defeat the purpose of the deal that's been proposed.

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Yes, but if you paid rapt attention to this site, anyone who imported a TDI into either country is still looking for resolution on the Goodwill cards. Neither VW Canada or US seems to acknowledge this aspect.

I think "fixed" is the key word for us.

If you move to a CARB state in the future and wish to import and register your non fixed TDI there then there will be a huge restriction. SOL

Last edited:

JohnNS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Yes, but if you paid rapt attention to this site, anyone who imported a TDI into either country is still looking for resolution on the Goodwill cards. Neither VW Canada or US seems to acknowledge this aspect.

I think "fixed" is the key word for us.

If you move to a CARB state in the future and wish to import and register your non fixed TDI there then there will be a huge restriction. SOL
Goodwill cards are one thing, but this is the actual emissions. I'd be surprised if it isn't similar but with Canadian options instead of american ones - after all, our vehicle packages are slightly different and vehicles more costly.

But I may just be hoping, too ;)