A4 Vacuum hoses: size(s) and lenght?

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White
For those that may be thinking about upgrading the stock cloth-braided vacuum lines:

1) What size(s) (interior diameter) are the vacuum lines on the A4 TDI?

2) How much hose would be needed to replace the stock hoses with, say, high quality silicone replacements?

3) Would this be a plug-and-play, easy upgrade to make?

I've done searches, but I haven't found a good thread for this. Some point to info in the TDIFAQ, but I can't seem to find the basics for this there either.

tdi369

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 golf white
if i were you I would leave these hoses alone. do other upgrade. those cloth braided stuff are for hot protection like asbestos in old days. if you want to make it looks good place something over it. these hoses are of high quality as far as i can see. my 2 cents

Lord_Verminaard

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI
if i were you I would leave these hoses alone. do other upgrade. those cloth braided stuff are for hot protection like asbestos in old days. if you want to make it looks good place something over it. these hoses are of high quality as far as i can see. my 2 cents
We (the dealership) replace these very frequently, as they are not as high quality as you think. (although their price seems to say otherwise, $12.00 a meter) High-strength silicone with heat shielding in certian areas would be a lot better. It is somewhat an unusual size though, sort of an "in-between" size if I remember....

Brendan

tdi369

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 golf white
the original will last at least 5 years or so. time to change them when they got hard. it is very important to get the right diameter specially for vacuum hoses. the main things is the clamp,these are not reusable. I wonder if you can buy them from impex and you need a special tool to clamp them. One good thing about the clamp is that they are of precious pressure.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Dorado:

It sounds like you're taking the torch and running with hose upgrades from Samco, right? If so, the Samco hoses are the way to go. I have them in my other cars and they last a long time. They are built to withstand a hot of heat and last the life of your car. I have them in my Turbo A3 and Supercharged BMW and they are great. Just what the TDI needs, so that there's one less thing to worry about. Hope someone can get you the sizes and length you need.

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
i replaced my vacuum hoses on my jetta a3 with 1/8in hose? it that ok? or should i get the mm hose? what mm hose is it?

Faster

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta ALH, 2007 Specialized Roubaix
Did you ever find out what the size of the vacuum hoses is? I, too, am interested...

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Ditto.

I have been wanting to do this as well. I looked through the bentley manual, but could only find the diagram, no sizes or lengths. If no one has done this yet, I will order more than I need and end up with some spare. I will measure and post the sizes & lengths when I do the job, but that may not be for a month or so?

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
IIRC the smaller hoses are 4mm and the bigger ones are 6mm (bigger ones IE vent on the N18 and N75 - smaller ones elsewhere)...

I'd like to see a kit developed for the TDI . . . Has anyone scanned through EPC or ETKA for the lenghts?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Per ETKA for the A4s:

3,5 X 2 (part number N 020 353 5)
350 mm from main vacuum line to a T
80 mm from a T to the N18 (black top valve)
170 mm from a T to a small check valve
45 mm from a T to the N75 (white top valve)
530 mm from a T to the vacuum canister (damper)
1000 mm from turbo to a connecting pipe
60 mm from a T to a T
180 mm from a T to N239 (change over valve)
120 mm from N239 to vacuum actuator

5 X 3 (part number N 020 282 1)
360 mm from N18 to EGR valve
50 mm from N75 to connecting pipe (going to turbo)
320 mm from N75 to fresh air line T
80 mm from N18 to fresh air line T
300 mm from air box to fresh air line T

T pieces are part number 113 201 943 B
small vacuum check valve is 046 905 291 A
connecting pipe is 06A 133 382 K

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Resurecting this thread cuz I want to do the mod this month. I have found several places that sell colored vacuum hose, but none have both the sizes required. I think the sizes required are 3.5mm & 5mm I.D.? Is that correct? I will have to order the 3.5mm from one place & the 5 mm from another. I hope the colors match. Anyone have any luck finding a supplier that carries both sizes? I found a place that has 3, 4 & 5mm sizes. Is 3mm too small?

The total lengths for each size are:

3.5mm = 2580mm
5mm = 1110mm

I'll post my experience along wity pics for reference.

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
When I had my TB done by Dog Breath a couple of months ago he replaced a couple pieces as they were worn. He had a couple of rolls of this stuff in his tool box, one of each size. They were 3.5 and 5mm. I asked him where he had located this stuff, he told me BAP Auto Parts, as if it were common knowledge....hehehe. If you have a BAP or equivalent in your area, check there. Brian tells me it is a stock item for that parts store.

Hope this helps.

Mike /images/graemlins/cool.gif

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I have 4 foots lengths of silicone hose in red, black, and blue to replace the lines from the N75. 3.125 mm ID. I do have the proper style factory clamps. This is for the A3 Jetta.

Does anyone foresee a problem with me doing this?

Searched everywhere for the 3.5 mm silicone, to no avail.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I found some 3.5mm here. But they don't have any 5mm and the price is not cheap @ $2/ft.

I think I will go with this place and get some 3 & 5mm. I'm sure .5mm won't make that much difference. I think its better to go a bit smaller than a bit bigger to ensure a tight fit.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I am new to the TDi world and was looking to replace my vacuum hoses and was wondering...

Are all of the hoses listed here the braided nylon type that can dry out/crack>? seems like a TON of vacuum hoses.

[ QUOTE ]
MOGolf said:
Per ETKA for the A4s:

3,5 X 2 (part number N 020 353 5)
350 mm from main vacuum line to a T
80 mm from a T to the N18 (black top valve)
170 mm from a T to a small check valve
45 mm from a T to the N75 (white top valve)
530 mm from a T to the vacuum canister (damper)
1000 mm from turbo to a connecting pipe
60 mm from a T to a T
180 mm from a T to N239 (change over valve)
120 mm from N239 to vacuum actuator

5 X 3 (part number N 020 282 1)
360 mm from N18 to EGR valve
50 mm from N75 to connecting pipe (going to turbo)
320 mm from N75 to fresh air line T
80 mm from N18 to fresh air line T
300 mm from air box to fresh air line T

T pieces are part number 113 201 943 B
small vacuum check valve is 046 905 291 A
connecting pipe is 06A 133 382 K

[/ QUOTE ]

tdi369

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 golf white
check with harv classified section who is selling tb. he said that he will stock them for tdi member. i need to do mine too, while cleaning my snowscreen last week i found out the hard nylon pipe to brake booster is cracked at 4 places. the engine cover is holding up the heat and all the hoses dried up and give away.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
is this same information available for the A3 TDI? what about the PD engine? any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit.. found the info for the a3 ETKA rawks!

Vultured

TDI
2000 Jetta
All the important links on this aren't working. Anybody have any updated ones??

Thanks!

I'm trying to replace the braided black lines and I'm having trouble finding the 3.5mm and 5mm at my local Olympus Auto Parts.

Vultured

TDI
2000 Jetta
I went to Olympus Auto parts today in Alexandria, VA. It came highly recommended from people on here and others I know. First off let me say, they may have the parts, but the people working there couldn't be less helpful.

Anyhow the part numbers that MOGolf put up (Thanks for that anyhow) that everyone loves to quote when talking about vac hoses....well they were useless there. They use a different part numbering system with a different vendor for their 3.5mm and 5mm vacuum hoses.

One thing I found while replacing all the braided hoses is I ran out of 3.5mm hose and had waaaay too much 5mm hose. How can this be. Ohh well, it's done now.

Thanks for the info MOGolf, it was a great starting point. Good luck with that, it was more complex than I thought. Cut, replace, cut, replace, cut, discovered broken T, Auto parts store, cut, replace, can't reach, splice, cut, replace!:p:D

edit: why is the A# stuff on here??...confusing.