RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
You are welcome.

SSD upgrades have been a mixed bag, some successful, some not. Because it is still an IDE interface and not SATA, it's speed is still limited. The speed increase would be most noticeable during reading music from HDD, or pulling Map data, both are dependent on the HDD access speed heavily. Supposedly boot up and general use there is very little performance. I have a 128GB IDE SSD sitting on my shelf for just that reason, but haven't been willing to do it. One guy got it installed then the SSD had issues with the cold, so he removed it....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I'm not sure how you could note a diff with music, at least not when playing it from the HD. Enough speed to play, and all is well. Too little, and stutters and garbles result (which don't don't seem to happen on the RNS), and more available speed can't be used. We play .wav data from CD drives at 1x, and pretty much any hard drive made can outrun that without trying.

Map data, perhaps, at least if the head can read that fast.

- Tim

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Tim, It's not about the actual play but the browsing. Not sure how much music you play or have on your HDD, but I have a little over 10GB, that I have accumulated on it in MP3's at 128. As I put more on it, browsing to artist's folders that I have created has gotten slower as I have added more. The SSD would have an effect on that. Read the thread that Pdarke linked to. Read the last page or 2 of the thread, and you will see where that is the improvement they mentioned.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Zero music on HDD, but a 32GB SD card . . .

And ironically, browsing should only read the id3 data from the header, so still not much need for transfer speed. What you liiely are feeling is the reduced seek time of the SSD.

- Tim

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Zero music on HDD, but a 32GB SD card . . .

And ironically, browsing should only read the id3 data from the header, so still not much need for transfer speed. What you liiely are feeling is the reduced seek time of the SSD.

- Tim
I don't have a SSD installed currently, I am merely relaying the info given by those that have changed it out and the changes they experienced. This discussion is pointless unless somebody truly breaks down the code on how the RNS-510 reads and indexes the Audio files on the HDD. I can tell you merely browsing gets slower as more files are added to the HDD, as I have experienced that myself. Continental would not have swapped the HDD for an SSD if it did not have some benefit, because I am sure it increased manufacturing cost. I am well aware of the advantages of an SSD vs classic platter based HDD, and where the advantages can be felt, and why.

rudedog830

TDI
2014 Passat
I just bought a 2014 Passat TDI SEL. Looks like I have Maps 7963 and Firmware 4369. Hardware version says H21 but I assume that doesn't mean that I have a H unit, right? How do I know which hardware that I have?

As far as updates that apply... Looks like maps v7 is an update, but is there a newer firmware than the one that I am on?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
I just bought a 2014 Passat TDI SEL. Looks like I have Maps 7963 and Firmware 4369. Hardware version says H21 but I assume that doesn't mean that I have a H unit, right? How do I know which hardware that I have?

As far as updates that apply... Looks like maps v7 is an update, but is there a newer firmware than the one that I am on?

means Hardware model 21
maps V7M aka 8050 is available from a certain member, and 5374 FW for 4369 only units will be available from the same comrade soon...

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I just looked and as of right now v7 for the RNS-510 is available for purchase. The SD card for the RNS-315 is still v5.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I just looked and as of right now v7 for the RNS-510 is available for purchase. The SD card for the RNS-315 is still v5.

Welcome to the party. V7 has been available to purchase for almost a month. Why purchase it when you can download it?

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Welcome to the party. V7 has been available to purchase for almost a month. Why purchase it when you can download it?
Oh I agree!!:D:D Thank YOU very much. I just thought I would throw it out that VW finallyhas a current version on their site for sale.:rolleyes:

eshawger

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
V7 worked great with IMGBURN at 4X on a Dell XPS 8500 using Verbatim DVD-R DL media from Walmart.com. Ran about 65 minutes with the car parked in the garage, and trickle charger holding the battery power up.

Oh I agree!!:D:D Thank YOU very much. I just thought I would throw it out that VW finallyhas a current version on their site for sale.:rolleyes:

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
My progress and education on burning the V7 map update

V7 worked great with IMGBURN at 4X on a Dell XPS 8500 using Verbatim DVD-R DL media from Walmart.com. Ran about 65 minutes with the car parked in the garage, and trickle charger holding the battery power up.

I assume I'm not the lone member of the incompetent subset of computer users that doesn't have experience with burning DVDs. So, I thought I'd share my experience to date with others so that they may find it helpful and informative.
1st. The double layer recordable DVD is available in a 3 pack at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002LEMWE/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2nd. IMGBURN software to create the DVD (as recommended by Lokiwolf).
I did a search on problems/malware when downloading IMGBURN, and the results sort of spooked me off of doing if for a few months, but I gathered up my courage after reading some suggestions on what boxes to uncheck and check to keep the malware at bay. And, much to my salvation, IMGBURN has a tutorial video on Youtube that guides one through the downloading process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF3mFF3DQ9s
This video lead me by the key stroke through a successful download with no malware add-ons. Hurray!!!
The first DVD I burned on a POS Toshiba Laptop was burned at 1x. I found when verifying it that it had one major couldn't read sector towards the end. I then read that a successful effort was made by a member of the forum using the same Verbatim DVD burning at the 2.4X and so I gave that a try and found it worked flawlessly in burning all the data to the DVD when I verified it.

So, although I've yet to install the update, I feel pretty good about the new ground I've covered in my computer literacy this week.

carlrx7

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
Thanks Loki, So far so good. Will shoot you a lil paypal gift as soon as some of my car parts sell.

Update took about 30 mins to update from the previous. If anyone is having trouble, let me know; I have some extra stamps laying around and don't mind shipping it out to a non-techy member. No need for me keep it.

-Carl

EDIT: I've already sent out the disc, sorry

Last edited:

rudedog830

TDI
2014 Passat
Downgrade Error

Attempted the VIM update on 4369 firmware. I got a "Downgrade Error". The screen indicated that the new SW version was older than the loaded version. Thoughts?

eshawger

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Attempted the VIM update on 4369 firmware. I got a "Downgrade Error". The screen indicated that the new SW version was older than the loaded version. Thoughts?
There is a chance the VIM error occurred as we all got that one. When you confirm you have older firmware than 4369 you can proceed to follow the instructions and you should be fine.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
In the instructions sent with the VIM, it says exactly what to do if you get that error. There is a key combination to press to override and continue anyway. You radio tell you on the screen what that combination is.

All current firmware revisions will get that error when trying to install VIM, because it was originally written for a much older firmware. It still works and has been tested up to firmware 4369.

pdarke

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Nav/SR
In the instructions sent with the VIM, it says exactly what to do if you get that error. There is a key combination to press to override and continue anyway. You radio tell you on the screen what that combination is.

All current firmware revisions will get that error when trying to install VIM, because it was originally written for a much older firmware. It still works and has been tested up to firmware 4369.
VIM tested to 5374 here. Works with no problem.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Wow, firmware 5374, I haven't heard about this one. Is this available?

It is the newest firmware for the SSD based 510's. Basically if you have 4369, it is the next firmware for your unit. Currently it is only coming on the newest units, and sourcing a copy has been difficult.

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
It is the newest firmware for the SSD based 510's. Basically if you have 4369, it is the next firmware for your unit. Currently it is only coming on the newest units, and sourcing a copy has been difficult.
Thank you, that explains it.

rudedog830

TDI
2014 Passat
I retried the VIM update and the second time it finished normally on FW 4369 with no errors

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Anything us owners with older hardware can take advantage of? Are there any significant improvements?
The units without SSD's will most likely not go past 4366. I have not compared 4369 beside 5374 to see what the real differences are.

Status
Not open for further replies.