Transmission in limp mode - how to reset / remove limp mode?

nvr-enuf

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 01e 6sp
Hello everyone,

recently my trans puked out all the trans fluid. I changed the filter / seal - added 3.5 quarts, drove the car a bit but it seems like the car is in limp mode.

It was slow to engage gears, maybe the pump is fried.

I will see if it is low, I would expect the trans would take more than 3.5 qts.

I am in the process of doing the manual conversion but would like to try to drive the car for the next month.

Does anyone know how to clear the limp mode without a VAGCOM?

thanks
SCott

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Might as well bite the bullet and buy a VCDS cable as you will need it for the conversion or you will have to pay someone to do it for you.

nvr-enuf

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 01e 6sp
So the answer to the question is "the only way to recent the trans limp mode is to use a VAGCOM"?

Thanks - looks like the brother in law needs to stop by - he has the cable.

I agree, when I do the conversion the vagcom will be needed.

cpinde

TDI
05 VW Passat, 04 Jetta, 06 BRM Jetta, sold 15 Golf current
Let me say that I ordered my VCDS (Vagcom) cable from Ross Tech last Friday at like 1pm. They got it out the same day and I had it the next day, paid extra for overnight. Great people to deal with.

The couple times my trans went into limp mode all I did was turn the car off and back on and that cleared the limp mode. But the thing that caused my limp mode was/is intermittent.

rydogg

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
What caused your transmission to "puke out all the fluid"? This sounds very bizarre.

wswanson

TDI
2002 jetta
There is a pop off valve on the top of the trans my 05 1.8t did the same thing due to that pop off being bad

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
From the ones I have seen the pump seal fails.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
there is no "pop off valve". Do you mean the vent?

Mostly if they "puke out the fluid" the front seal is leaking, usually from the pump bushing spinning out. (like vwztips said)