A few thoughts on the dsg service i just performed.

Digilio86

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Graphite 2dr Dsg Golf TDI
Yesterday I did my first dsg service. I removed air box and battery tray. I didnt know how difficult getting the filter out would be hence the battery and tray removal. I ended up being able to unscrew the housing filter with my hand once there was ample room. I put the car on jack stands leveled out. When removing the drain/fill plug i had a decent amount of fluid come out before removing the second insert. It seems the trans was filled to much at the factory!? (anyone have a comment on this?) After 43 k my fluid was dark but didnt look all that bad. I used this tool to bottom fill and it went very easily and quickly especially since it was below freezing in the shop. Filled 4.6 liters and put car back together. Started car while still on stands and ran through all gear selections. Then i double checked trans for too much fluid by removing drain plug. Very little fluid came out. I was gonna run the vcds transmission measuring blocks but was over it and didn't feel like letting the car idle to warm up. Im pretty sure it should be just about 4.6 liters of fluid in there. Well long story short just from one short drive (seven more inches of snow dumped last night so didn't go to work) the dsg feels better than it did when it had under 100 miles on it a year ago. seems to be shifting much smoother even when it was cold which was usually when i felt it was a little rough (for the dsg) Below is a link for the tool i used i think its a decent deal and worked well. Thanks for reading the writings of a mad man :) Sorry for lack of grammar. Any input on these things being overfilled at factory would be interesting.

http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/Vi...-Current/Transmission/02E-198-101/4179/268069

Last edited:

autoxerwgn

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG, 2006 TDI (Sold)
The transmission probably wasn't overfilled. When the car is off, the transmission fluid on this (and pretty much every car, except Honda products) is higher than it would be when you are checking the level. When you go to drain it, it is normal for it to have a decent amount come out before removing the tube. About filling it, your trans could be under filled, but since you never checked the trans fluid temp, there is no way to know.

Generally, there are 2 methods to doing a DSG service.

1: Catch and measure how much fluid you drain out, and add the same amount back in through the filter opening. No trans fluid temp check required.

2: The factory method. Using some sort of tool or pump, add fluid at a specified temp to the correct level. Adding fluid at too low or too high of a temp will cause an inaccurate reading and could cause either an under or over fill condition.

Digilio86

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks autoxergn but you sort of contradicted your self in the last sentence of the first paragraph and point number 1. I over filled slightly and then drained. I don't think there will be an issue because after i ran it through all gears some fluid came out. Though i think your logic or at least description is flawed i will do the vcds check tmw when i get home from work. Thanks for your response. P.S. I find it hard to believe vw would engineer the trans to be so sensitive as to be harmed by .1 liter under or overfilled.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
Yesterday I did my first dsg service...[snip]
Well long story short just from one short drive [snip] the dsg feels better than it did when it had under 100 miles on it a year ago. seems to be shifting much smoother even when it was cold which was usually when i felt it was a little rough (for the dsg)[snip]
I tried to make this point in my recent posting.
If your DSG trans seems rough and jerky, consider doing the DSG service early.
Our Golf was completely transformed by the 40k DSG service. I wish we'd done it at the 10k service instead of putting up with what was at times violent behavior for another 30k miles! I can't help but wonder how that behavior will have affected the DSG's longevity...

I wonder if there is anything to be gained by changing just the DSG filter and adding a bit of fluid. Anyone feel like beta testing the concept?

Last edited:

Digilio86

Veteran Member
TDI
Ive noticed since the service that my downshifts seem to be a lot smoother. There is much less of the lurching when coming to a slow stop that has I've read from many different accounts and perceived myself to be typical with the TDI and the DSG combo. I haven't driven the car a lot since the service though.

halfast3 It seemed to me the trans was over filled based on how much fluid came out before i removed the insert tube in the drain. The tube goes up into the transmission. It is a specific length so that the required amount of fluid is in the trans. Any thing more will flow over the insert tube and out when the plug is removed. I wish i would of measured how much fluid came out though. O well. It doesn't seem there would be anyway to know how much fluid is in there unless you drain it. Guess the best way would be to do the vcds measuring and if everything checks out just leave it be. This is where a lot of fellows on here would probably say drive more worry less.

autoxerwgn

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG, 2006 TDI (Sold)
When you drain the trans (obviously without car running) the fluid level will be above the level of the tube. When you refill it using the tool, you are supposed to overfill it (all 6 liters) at or ideally slightly below the specified temp for checking , and leave the tool connected but closed. Once the engine is started, shifted through the gears, and reaches the specified temperature, the tool is disconnected and the fluid that is in the tube and any excess in the trans will run out, at which point the drain plug is reinstalled.

If you fill using the special tool and the correct procedure, about .5 liters should come back out when you disconnect the tool from the car. If you claim that very little came out, then that would indicate to me that you may have under filled it. Drive it as-is or double check it, that's up to you. It is of course your car and not mine.

Daugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2dr DSG
I am about to have a local garage I trust do the 40K DSG service at 30K miles because the trans is a bit jerky and i'm curious to see if it will improve. Also, I'm going on a long trip.

I know this is a measure what you take out and put back in the same situation.
I bought the oem kit with the filter and the gaskets, but not the plastic fill gizmo.

Anything I should mention to the mechanic just in case he hasn't done a DSG fluid swap before? (They are a Honda/Acura shop primarily)
thanks

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I am about to have a local garage I trust do the 40K DSG service at 30K miles because the trans is a bit jerky and i'm curious to see if it will improve. Also, I'm going on a long trip.

I know this is a measure what you take out and put back in the same situation.
I bought the oem kit with the filter and the gaskets, but not the plastic fill gizmo.

Anything I should mention to the mechanic just in case he hasn't done a DSG fluid swap before? (They are a Honda/Acura shop primarily)
thanks
If you are having problems with your transmission and are still under warranty, have you spoken to your dealer?

Digilio86

Veteran Member
TDI
Autoxerwgn what you say certainly makes sense and will most likely be the procedure that I take later this year when I do the next dsg service. I ran the measuring blocks today and it was within the temps as being ok. Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk