Injection Pump Position During TB Change

N519AT

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
So I've managed to get my hands on another TDI...this time a 2003 Wagon. It's in great condition.. totally unmolested, no mods, 195k, all MX records all the way back to when it was first purchased. I'm pretty proud of this find, but I did buy it with the timing belt a little overdue to be changed.

So I get it home, park it in the garage and start the surgery, following the tutorial from this site to a T. After putting the new timing belt on and rotating the engine through by hand 4 revolutions I went to put the IP lock back in to check the continuity of the timing. I put the engine at the TDC mark as indicated on the flywheel and it was very difficult to get the IP lock back in. I had to wiggle the crankshaft bolt in order to get the lock pin in place, but I did get it in at the 1 o'clock position. Doing a little bit of investigating, in order to get the IP lock to go into the hole on the pump freely and slide in & out with no effort, the flywheel has to be in this position: https://imgur.com/lup8OEs

Now I can get the lock in when it's much closer to TDC on the flywheel but it's more of a force than easily slipping in. When I put the IP lock pin in place before removing the belt, I noticed the same thing but figured it would somehow go away with the new belt and hardware.

Is this a problem? Or am I still within spec on this since the pin will go in at TDC (although it not easily).

hollowhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5 speed(2)2000 vw beetle tdi automatic
Did you loosen the bolts on the IP pulley? Unless I missed it I didn't see anything about cam timing.

N519AT

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Did you loosen the bolts on the IP pulley? Unless I missed it I didn't see anything about cam timing.
Yes, the bolts on the IP pulley were loosened. I did center the pin in the oval hole on the IP sprocket before putting the belt back on.

Cam was locked at TDC with the Metalnerd locking tool (pass side lobes facing up).

hollowhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5 speed(2)2000 vw beetle tdi automatic
How is the cam timing now with the crankshaft at tdc?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Yes, the bolts on the IP pulley were loosened. I did center the pin in the oval hole on the IP sprocket before putting the belt back on.
Cam was locked at TDC with the Metalnerd locking tool (pass side lobes facing up).
At TDC and with the cam lock in place loosen the IP bolts and adjust the pump
shaft using a 22mm (I think) socket until the pin fits as it should.
The bolts should be near the center of the adjustment slots. If they aren't, the
pump sprocket may be a tooth off.

Last edited:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
How is the cam timing now with the crankshaft at tdc?
That is the most important relationship to be certain to have correct.

The IP can be close enough to be really tight to get the pin in. With the 3 bolts on the IP you can adjust for final starting.

N519AT

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
At TDC and with the cam lock in place loosen the IP bolts and adjust the pump
shaft using a 22mm (I think) socket until the pin fits as it should.
The bolts should be near the center of the adjustment slots. If they aren't, the
pump sprocket may be a tooth off.
Thanks. Did what you said and got it to the point where it slides in with no effort. I feel pretty stupid now that the fix was so simple.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Yep.

I assume you STILL have a locked cam without stress on the plate (you can remove and re-insert it) with the TDC mark centered? You want that bang-on.

N519AT

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Yes, after rotataing the engine through again both the cam lock and the IP lock pin are able to move in and out freely at TDC.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
As long as the mark on the flywheel is at the right spot, the camshaft is locked in the correct position, and the IP pin is in the right spot, all should be well.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Thanks. Did what you said and got it to the point where it slides in with no effort. I feel pretty stupid now that the fix was so simple.
Now have you checked the timing in VCDS? Then you can adjust it where you want it.
I had to reposition the IP pulley on the last TB change after getting everything
set - the bolts were all the way to one side of the slots. So you did better than I!

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Yesterday I swapped a new IP into my ALH; after I set the TDC on the flywheel and verified the camshaft was oriented correctly, I put the pin into the IP, locked it down and re-set the tensioner on timing belt. Here is what is odd: according to VCDS my IP timing was at 138 degrees. This is not the first time I have installed a pump and had the same reading in VCDS Timing Graph, everything seemed to be okay and she runs fine now. Any ideas?

N519AT

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Now have you checked the timing in VCDS? Then you can adjust it where you want it.
I had to reposition the IP pulley on the last TB change after getting everything
set - the bolts were all the way to one side of the slots. So you did better than I!
On the to do list...the car isn't running just yet. Waiting on some parts and I kind of treat this as a something to do while I'm on call. I will probably hold the record for the longest time to do a timing belt.