04 BEW hard start

jasper1

TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
I have an 04 Jetta with the BEW engine, 2580000 miles. I have just had the timing belt replaced, intake manifold cleaned out and an EGR delete done along with new glow plugs and turbo charger and all filters changed. I bought it four years ago with 120000 miles. When I bought it I changed the T belt and camshaft (cam not really needed but I did it anyway) After having all this recent work done all I can say is WOW! I don't ever remember it having this much snap. Only problem is it's become very hard to start when cold. It sits in a heated garage overnight and will start right up in the morning. After sitting all day in below freezing temps however its a bear to get started again, sometimes 2 or 3 cycles of the glow plugs and then lots of black smoke for a minute or two. After that it's OK. Battery is less than a month old, only other variable is a change in where we buy fuel, but it gets 5 oz's of Howes fuel treatment at every fill up. Before I start chasing ghosts can someone tell me please tell me:
1) should I be able to hear the lift pump run with the key on and engine off...I can't now.
2) Is injection timing dependent on timing belt/cam timing? Will changing the belt alter injection timing?

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I have an 04 Jetta with the BEW engine, 2580000 miles. I have just had the timing belt replaced, intake manifold cleaned out and an EGR delete done along with new glow plugs and turbo charger and all filters changed. I bought it four years ago with 120000 miles. When I bought it I changed the T belt and camshaft (cam not really needed but I did it anyway) After having all this recent work done all I can say is WOW! I don't ever remember it having this much snap. Only problem is it's become very hard to start when cold. It sits in a heated garage overnight and will start right up in the morning. After sitting all day in below freezing temps however its a bear to get started again, sometimes 2 or 3 cycles of the glow plugs and then lots of black smoke for a minute or two. After that it's OK. Battery is less than a month old, only other variable is a change in where we buy fuel, but it gets 5 oz's of Howes fuel treatment at every fill up. Before I start chasing ghosts can someone tell me please tell me:
1) should I be able to hear the lift pump run with the key on and engine off...I can't now.
2) Is injection timing dependent on timing belt/cam timing? Will changing the belt alter injection timing?
This is a likely culprit. Easy enough to check.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
If you have good hearing you should be able to hear the in-tank pump for the first two seconds. May have to lift up the right rear seat. Another simple test for the pump is to pull the thermos T off the fuel filter to be sure it is full. That would be an indication that the pump is working.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I missed this the first time, maybe it is the reason:p

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Yes timing will absolutely effect your starting. You need to check your timing with VCDS with the engine up to full 190*F . The timing should plot slightly advanced. The way I understand it is your car starts based on static timing then after a few seconds, the ECU kicks in and begins to alter timing.

jasper1

TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
you sure drive alot!
It's the wifes car really, I just get to fix it. I bought it with just shy of 120000 based on my friends 03 Jetta with an ALH engine having gone 585000 miles before he decided that having to drive it from New Hampshire to Baltimore or Pittsburg for work, sometimes in the same week, was getting to be more than he wanted to do. Car is still in service, just not for the long hauls.
On another note though..I knew the hose connection from the intercooler to the intake was dodgey at the ASV valve so I ordered a dog collar repair from KermaTDI...I also didn't know it set a DTC code till today when I went to install the collar..P0101, MAF or air flow volume, so I'm thinking low boost pressure might have had something to do with it. Funny part is it didn't go into limp mode like the last time an intercooler line was leaking.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
1)Yes, for a few seconds
2) yes and yes

......over 2.5 million miles might be a record around here. :eek:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
What’s a zero here and there?

The lift pump should activate every time you turn the ignition to glow your vehicle as has been noted.

After all that work was the torsion/timing checked? If so what is it set at?

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
I am all ears on this thread, cuz I am in the same boat. Blue smoke until it warms up a little.