cell phones - ugh

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
Don't have one and don't want one. Is there some electronic device that I could carry in my car to make cell phone reception go dead around my car? I don't want to be a victim of an accident because some a$$hole has to talk on their phone while driving. I would be willing to pay money to jam the airways around my car. Anyone know how to do this?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
(my browser warns about a *possible* phishing scheme when I hover over the above link... I'd approach with caution)

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
While I share the original poster's frustration, what they are proposing (a jammer) is against FCC rules. And, even if it were to be done regardless, imagine a person yapping on the phone approaching from the other direction as they come into jammer range (which won't be very far). Their phone mysteriously stops working. What happens? They look down at it to see why.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Their phone mysteriously stops working. What happens? They look down at it to see why.
Yeah, a cell phone jammer definitely sounds counterproductive. Combining dangerous with illegal does not sound like a good strategy. The world will always have its share of idiots on the road. Staying aware and driving defensively is your only good option (until self driving cars are the norm).

Have Fun!

Don

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Don't have one and don't want one. Is there some electronic device that I could carry in my car to make cell phone reception go dead around my car? I don't want to be a victim of an accident because some a$$hole has to talk on their phone while driving. I would be willing to pay money to jam the airways around my car. Anyone know how to do this?
You are afraid of other people's irresponsibility and how this can impact you. Well, that can take the form of cell phone usage, other distractions, emotional distress, not obeying traffic laws, reckless driving, running stop signs, running traffic lights, road rage....etc....

So, if you want to avoid it....you are pretty much going to have to stay home and surround it by concrete barriers if cars are near your home.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I'd prefer one for when I'm bicycling. I fear accidents more then. No air bags to give me any protection.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Their phone mysteriously stops working. What happens? They look down at it to see why.
Exactly!

In related news: Nissan is currently testing a Faraday Cage storage compartment for cell phones:Nissan's in-car Faraday Cage could prevent distracted driving - May. 3 ...

I am predicting in the future it will be a mandatory safety feature (just like ABS brakes and air bags). I can see a day when the ignition immobilizer will not let you start the car until your devices are locked away. The only way you are allowed to use your devises is if you have a self driving car - which will also also be mandatory for most roads one day.

The future of safety is coming.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The Faraday cage is a joke; the people who want to talk on the phone will just keep it out of the compartment. Hardware and interlocks would have been the thing to do when this tech was first put on the market - but at this point, would you want to be the first auto manufacturer to have that feature? The regulators won't apply it - people have voted with their own actions - they want to be able to yap on the phone.

The automatic collision avoidance systems are the main hope right now. That technology is far from perfect.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
The FCC has the ability to locate such devices, and they will put significant effort into it.

They don't care what it costs to find you, because when they do, you get to pay the bill. The fines are large.

You'd probably get in less trouble for knocking the phone out of their hand and smashing it, instead of getting the FCC after you.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Cell phones are just part of our existence. So just suck it up buttercup. There will always be imbeciles that do really stupid stuff while driving. Cell phones are not the problem, the problem is irresponsible people.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Get an old satellite dish, or 2, and point them to the north. It'll cause some chaos.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The biggest distraction for driving is eating or drinking. Followed closely by talking to other people in the same car. Unless your under 20, then it's the other way around. The comment I heard the other day is that it is far safer for three teenagers to each drive a car to the mall than for three teenagers to ride together to the mall.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
No. It's phones. I'm reading and typing this as I'm driving.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That would fall under texting, which I forgot about as the number one distraction.

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
cell phone fatalaties

From what I"ve read American vehicle fatalities were going down in past years, until recently, when they went up. The reporting agency [can't remember who it was] said this uptick was cell phone, in car usage. I thought it was illegal to use these while driving [in NY state anyway].
My biggest concern is being hit on my bicycle by some a$$ on a phone. I thought phones were only to be used for an emergency. Whatever happened to putting all your concentration on driving your vehicle in a safe manner.

Last edited:

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
All that safe, focused driving has gone out the window. Most of the new car ads promote their auto driving aids, auto braking, distance following cruise, "hands free" phone integration, self parking, etc. The ads (Toyota and I think even VW for example), even highlights the fact that the actor/driver in their ad can be distracted singing, talking on the phone, not looking ahead at traffic, etc, and the car will stop if the front detects a stopped car or pedestrian. One of Toyota's ads even has the pedestrian getting excited about the self stopping feature of the car, vs the fact that driver was inattentive and that the car stopped instead of hitting him, and that the driver was not in control of the car.

People buy on tech gadgets today, focus is on Nav, back cameras, side view cameras, self braking, semi autonomous cruise, etc.

I have been window shopping for a new/used car, and looked at a used BMW, the salesman spent 20 minutes going over the technology on the car, which after the test drive, I commented that I had never spent more time going over the car features than than the test drive took.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
my brother texts while driving nearly all the time. He's been in one accident. He was distracted when he wrecked his car... but he was distracted by running through radio stations trying to find something to listen to.

perhaps we should make it illegal to do the following or have the following in cars:

eat, put makeup on, have a radio, have a phone, have other passengers, et. al

On second thought, the only sure way to avoid accidents is to ban cars. Let's do it!

btw... my story about my brother does not mean that i condone texting while driving, it is very stupid and dangerous even for the most careful drivers. it's not worth it either, just pull over for a few minutes.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I capitalize on the lights that are red for 5 minutes, and if you're the 4th car, you MIGHT make it green, plan on yellow, and that's usually breaking loose on dry pavement from a standstill and into 2nd gear...

Ugh I hate that one intersection...

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Cell phone usage as well as radio usage should be completely illegal while driving. I have no clue as to why our legislators think either activity is not distracted driving.

If you are driving, just turn off your phone. It is just that simple. There is no situation on this planet that requires you to talk or text someone while driving...................

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Cell phone usage as well as radio usage should be completely illegal while driving. I have no clue as to why our legislators think either activity is not distracted driving.

If you are driving, just turn off your phone. It is just that simple. There is no situation on this planet that requires you to talk or text someone while driving...................
No situation? What if there's a really important tweet about what kind of nutritional supplement Kim Kardashian gets paid to say she uses? The lives of other road users surely come second to that.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
texting while driving banned here, cellphone use of any kind is banned for those with probationary or instructional permit. also banned in construction zones.

Absolutely NOT ENFORCED unless you are all over the road. This is because (paraphrased from local cop i know) cops are on their cell phones constantly and would prefer to not have the light shined in their direction because it is technically against department policy

personally, i think keeping a distracted driving law on the books makes sense but banning specific actions by claiming that they are inherently distracting doesnt.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Worse than being on the cellphone, have you ever watched a cop trying to use their computer while driving? I'm amazed at where most squads have a laptop mounted these days.

The funny one from this week though is the drunk in Florida that totaled the new sheriff's cruiser with all the drunk driving awareness placards.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
02 Golf 5 speeds ugh. Don't have one and don't want one. Is there some electronic device that I could carry in my car to make 02 Golfs go dead around my car? I don't want to be a victim of an accident because some a$$hole has to drive their 02 Golf next to me. I would be willing to pay money to jam the 02 Golfs around my car. Anyone know how to do this?

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Golf 5 speeds ugh. Don't have one and don't want one. Is there some electronic device that I could carry in my car to make 02 Golfs go dead around my car? I don't want to be a victim of an accident because some a$$hole has to drive their 02 Golf next to me. I would be willing to pay money to jam the 02 Golfs around my car. Anyone know how to do this?
Probably nothing that would work without also disabling your own car.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Texting is stupid while driving, that is obvious. Talking on a phone via bluetooth when traffic is light is no different than talking to a passenger. When traffic is heavy, get off the phone. Likewise trying to put hot sauce on a burrito at 60 mph is not the best plan. This stuff is not that hard to figure out. Ban radios in cars? I think that was one of Pol Pot's ideas.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
What they need to get rid of is all the touch screen and menu based crap that you have to look at to operate. I would expect dedicated controls that have one function that can be operated by feel would be far safer.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
cell phone? Bluetooth!

The increase in accidents nationwide due to texting while driving is a well known fact. I work at a University, and I've actually witnessed one accident recently and hear about friends and colleagues getting rear ended by texters. It is even indirectly affecting insurance rates (no one admits to doing it!). It is really bad for teenagers, with deaths, every day. When I hear my text alert, I wait for a red light, or ignore it until I am at my destination.

However, I use bluetooth as seemlessly as having a conversation with a passenger. Steering wheel controls are instantly accessible, and my fingers know where they are now. Answering calls, and making calls is not distracting at all for me. I am used to it. Used properly, bluetooth saves lives because you do not have to take your eyes off the road any longer than it takes to check your speed (look at the speedometer). You don't have to find/touch the phone at all.

I am an extremely actively defensive driver (especially after getting nailed last November!). I can actively keep track of drivers around me while using bluetooth. I pause my conversation if any drivers get too close or don't seem to see be yielding. No problem. I do it all the time.

In fact, having two or more children in the car is way MORE distracting than making/answering a call using bluetooth! It is fantastic.

Nav, on the other hand, takes MUCH more attention to follow. Staring at your radio screen is dangerous. It takes your eyes off the road, and breaks your attention to the road much more than children!

I can change stations using the steering wheel controls, too. Much safer than reaching for the radio.

Last edited: