Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
i'd like to start my buyback process but don't want to screw anything up...i've started to test drive some replacement vehicles but haven't yet decided on one

can i begin the buyback process and leave it open until i make a decision or is it an open/close file?

is there any info/comments or questions on the claim that might trip me up or i should be aware of besides the ownership and bill of sale (i have both)?

Thanks
Yes, you can start the process by registering on the Portal. You'll be notified if you're eligible to participate when you submit your initial information. ie..vehicle model, year, vin # etc,etc.

From there it's a step by step process. Took me from April 29,2017 to Aug 8, 2017. This is initial registering on the portal to the submission of the required documents like Gov't issued id, ownership of vehicle,. Mine was an early lease termination, quite simple. No inspection other that starting the vehicle and ensuring VIN # matched paperwork. Once you reach the final step in the process you have to select a date for the return/buyback of your vehicle. This is where I believe you can prolong the process. But be careful with your mileage, not sure if others here have been put in different mileage brackets because it changes when you go over a certain amount other than what you entered initially. Also, there are questions that do ask about salvage titles, collision damage, flood, commercial use, so yes pay attention when filling out your questions online... ..
Hope this helps and good luck...

onslaught192

TDI
Jetta Highline
Yes, you can start the process by registering on the Portal. You'll be notified if you're eligible to participate when you submit your initial information. ie..vehicle model, year, vin # etc,etc.
From there it's a step by step process. Took me from April 29,2017 to Aug 8, 2017. This is initial registering on the portal to the submission of the required documents like Gov't issued id, ownership of vehicle,. Mine was an early lease termination, quite simple. No inspection other that starting the vehicle and ensuring VIN # matched paperwork. Once you reach the final step in the process you have to select a date for the return/buyback of your vehicle. This is where I believe you can prolong the process. But be careful with your mileage, not sure if others here have been put in different mileage brackets because it changes when you go over a certain amount other than what you entered initially. Also, there are questions that do ask about salvage titles, collision damage, flood, commercial use, so yes pay attention when filling out your questions online... ..
Hope this helps and good luck...

Can you put in different mileage amounts like the CBB calculator they used to have back in march to see where your next bracket is?

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
To be honest with; I'm not spending a lot of time on here anymore ever since I returned my car. But, I do remember someone saying that Ricepoint did away with the buyback calculator awhile ago, so I can't really say. Just take your time, the help line is there. Unfortunately they weren't very helpful when portal first opened. This forum is a wealth of knowledge from many of the kind members who offer help when a member is in need. Think it through and you'll be fine ....

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Can you put in different mileage amounts like the CBB calculator they used to have back in march to see where your next bracket is?
Yes. It's step 11 of the claim process.

I've been on that step for months playing with the numbers.

Note, this calculator is a bit different than the one they initially released - it takes in your selected buyback/trade date and monthly miles into effect. So if you put your buyback date 3 months into the future, and tell it you drive 4000km a month - it's going to look at the value of your car based on 3 months from now with 12000km extra on it.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes. It's step 11 of the claim process.
I've been on that step for months playing with the numbers.
Note, this calculator is a bit different than the one they initially released - it takes in your selected buyback/trade date and monthly miles into effect. So if you put your buyback date 3 months into the future, and tell it you drive 4000km a month - it's going to look at the value of your car based on 3 months from now with 12000km extra on it.
Thanks "encode" for clearing that up. I went through an early lease termination so there were different steps for me. It wasn't a buyback situation or loan payoff to lien holder.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Bosch Payment in Canada ?

Hey gang, haven't been around in awhile. Just wondering if any Canadians that gave/returned their car to VW have received any kind of payment or notification from Bosch ?
TIA

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Last edited:

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Hey gang, haven't been around in awhile. Just wondering if any Canadians that gave/returned their car to VW have received any kind of payment or notification from Bosch ?
TIA
Still in the courts.... No news yet.... Bosch is trying to get the case thrown out... but that's probably not going to happen since they rolled over in the USA.

It'll just take time. Anyone who partook in the US settlement got their checks automatically and I would suspect the same here eventually (by baseless opinion only).

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
UPDATE:

Since July 20 (with mileage 28611 km) we have had the approved buyback/trade in offer from RP.
Specifically the FMV was stated as $24550
And the Amount to be paid as $8500
(For a grand total of $33000)

As we are now within 20 days of the return I got the expected call from RP requesting the current odometer reading. It is 28916 (so obviously a 300 km increase over the odometer reading stated in the approved offer).
Upon the completion of the phone call the offer had been revised. Specifically
the FMV was $500 less ($24050) with the amount we will be paid is $500 more ($9000)! (For a grand total of the same $33000).

I was under the impression that if we accumulated less than 2k km from the date of the approved agreement to the time of the drop off appointment (or maybe this 20 days prior) the FMV would not go down.

Last edited:

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
Yes not a big deal (except we do lose the amount of the HST on $500). I was just hoping to understand the process better. With such a minimal change in the kms driven I am guessing that the FMV decrease is solely due to the 3.5 months that has occurred from the initial agreement to the upcoming November 20th appointment date?

Last edited:

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
With such a minimal change in the kms driven I am guessing that the FMV decrease is due solely due to the 3.5 months that has occurred from the initial agreement to the upcoming November 20th appointment date?
Yep.

If FMV goes down, the total award stays the same, so that's why FMV went down $500 and total paid went up $500. You don't 'lose' anything on the overall settlement, save for the minimal tax savings on the $500 as you suspected.

We don't have access to anything that explains more about how the values are arrived or work, unfortunately...

vwnut20

TDI
2011 Jetta TDi 6spd DSG
So today I got curious and called a dealership(Hamilton VW). Lady on the phone was verify friendly and helpful. She notified me that "yes" Gen 1 fixes have been approved and that they have started the 23U3 recall. Also, she told me to very with my portal(which I did) to make sure the next step was to "book your appointment". 15 mins later have an appointment set with Hamilton VW next week. They need the car for the day and lending me a loaner. This process was so much easier than dealing with the claims portal(so far).
Keep everyone posted with the car. Currently I have 3 emissions related faults last time I scanned with my Vag-com. I'm hopping that they will cover under the new emissions warranty.
Well do have a story for my fellow TDI Club members,
Since my last post, I did end up bringing my Jetta to Hamilton VW. The check in process was timely cause no one was available to me for so time. After everything was signed, got my rental, went home. Next day, got a call from dealer, they advised that, they would not proceed with the recall because MIL is on and the car needs a DPF. They never asked me if the light was on and I was not aware that it was one of the conditions to proceed. All in all they wanted well over $3000. I said no and walked away. After a few weeks and some research, I was able to get my DPF cleaned for $200 and called a different dealership. This time I went through Brantford. I rolled in with no MIL on and the next day I got my car backed with form saying that I will be receiving my cheque in a week. That same night, driving back from kids hockey. My MIL comes back on. Got home pulled out the VCDS and to my surprise I have a EGR Intermittent flow and Particulate filter below threshold. I started to laugh. Good thing is, my cheque was in my hand within a week.
After a few weeks of driving around, I call the dealership back and get my car plugged in by them. After waiting around for an hour and half. They basically tell me what I already knew. I need a new DPF. Ok, that's great why can't you replace it under the extended warranty... Here's that catch everyone. Warranties are not activated until all removed parts under the recall have been received at a VW wharehouse(God knows where) and then will advise VW coporate office that warranty can then be activated. Wow, I wish they would have specified that in their letter. So know, about 2 months later and 2 tows back to shop(in one day). Dealership needs to keep my car until my warranty kicks in. They don't want to release my vehicle because it has been so unreliable since it's fix. I have owned my car for 7 yrs and this is the first time it has let me down. Silver lining is, I got a rental on VW's dime until all this get's fixed.
Long winded, I know. PM me if you want more details. I left out a lot!!!!

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Well do have a story for my fellow TDI Club members,
Since my last post, I did end up bringing my Jetta to Hamilton VW. The check in process was timely cause no one was available to me for so time. After everything was signed, got my rental, went home. Next day, got a call from dealer, they advised that, they would not proceed with the recall because MIL is on and the car needs a DPF. They never asked me if the light was on and I was not aware that it was one of the conditions to proceed. All in all they wanted well over $3000. I said no and walked away. After a few weeks and some research, I was able to get my DPF cleaned for $200 and called a different dealership. This time I went through Brantford. I rolled in with no MIL on and the next day I got my car backed with form saying that I will be receiving my cheque in a week. That same night, driving back from kids hockey. My MIL comes back on. Got home pulled out the VCDS and to my surprise I have a EGR Intermittent flow and Particulate filter below threshold. I started to laugh. Good thing is, my cheque was in my hand within a week.
After a few weeks of driving around, I call the dealership back and get my car plugged in by them. After waiting around for an hour and half. They basically tell me what I already knew. I need a new DPF. Ok, that's great why can't you replace it under the extended warranty... Here's that catch everyone. Warranties are not activated until all removed parts under the recall have been received at a VW wharehouse(God knows where) and then will advise VW coporate office that warranty can then be activated. Wow, I wish they would have specified that in their letter. So know, about 2 months later and 2 tows back to shop(in one day). Dealership needs to keep my car until my warranty kicks in. They don't want to release my vehicle because it has been so unreliable since it's fix. I have owned my car for 7 yrs and this is the first time it has let me down. Silver lining is, I got a rental on VW's dime until all this get's fixed.
Long winded, I know. PM me if you want more details. I left out a lot!!!!
How many kms on your TDI? Was the DPF light on when you took it in?

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Still in the courts.... No news yet.... Bosch is trying to get the case thrown out... but that's probably not going to happen since they rolled over in the USA.
It'll just take time. Anyone who partook in the US settlement got their checks automatically and I would suspect the same here eventually (by baseless opinion only).
Thanks guys... Chalk another one up to our incredible government ! ! I wonder what would've happened had it been a couple of Canadian researchers/students that found "irregularities" with TDI engines emissions levels.

philmcneal

TDI
None
hi did anyone get less money because the car is gifted to me from a relative? Mine was given to me by my dad and he purchased the car originally in full back in the day for the 2009 model (has 120,000 km on it). Wondering if I should get him to do the paperwork or wait till he transfer it to my name and I could get the same amount?

Thoiry

TDI
2015 Golf TDI - gone
Received our BC PST rebate cheque yesterday. $1200 +
Finally 3 months after submitting the PST refund request, we got the BC PST rebate cheque. However, I am surprised that they only refund us $860+ (slightly more than 40% of the PST we paid about 2 and half years ago) for a 2015 Golf TDI. Totally have no idea how they calculated the amount of refund.

Last edited:

Thoiry

TDI
2015 Golf TDI - gone
Besides, finally we are done with the TDI settlement. Here is a brief story of our 2015 Golf TDI.

We had lived in Europe for more than 6 years, so quite interested in Golf and TDI which were popular in Europe. We bought this car in April 2015 as the second car for the family. Originally we wanted to keep the car with the emission fix since it is a 2015 model, in particular the gas price in metro Vancouver is the highest in NA and most of time the diesel price is lower than regular gas.

However there were some issues with this car. The transmission cable harness was loosen, in 2 month after we bought the new car the car stalled three times when driving and complained "Transmission error". Dealer could only diagnose the problem and fix it in the second visit since there were not any code left. We are luck that we were still on local road when it happened.

Then after one year, a persistent glow plug light flashing issue appeared, we visited dealership 6 times in order to fix this issue. Every time after they replaced some parts and claimed the problem had been fixed, the flashing glow plug light appear again in one or two weeks after we got back the car. I believe the dealer worked hard to fix this issue, starting from the third visit, they always tested drive at least 2 weeks even one month after the fix and we drove their loaner car. At the end, we lost patience and submitted the buyback claim when the car was still at dealership for repair. By the way, it seems finally dealer had fixed this issue in the sixth visit because the glow plug flash light had not appear again in one month after we got the car back till we handed the car back to VW. Both the dealer and I believe the vacuum pump was the real cause and it could not maintain the pressure well.

Last edited:

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Finally 3 months after submitting the PST refund request, we got the BC PST rebate cheque. However, I am surprised that they only refund us $860+ (slightly more than 40% of the PST we paid about 2 and half years ago) for a 2015 Golf TDI. Totally have no idea how they calculated the amount of refund.
If my memory is correct, I claimed 7% of the refund I received from VW excluding the restitution payment. They agreed.

Thoiry

TDI
2015 Golf TDI - gone
If my memory is correct, I claimed 7% of the refund I received from VW excluding the restitution payment. They agreed.
Thanks for the info. Then it is our bad that we did not explicitly list the refund amount. We thought there were rules and they would just follow the rules.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
hi did anyone get less money because the car is gifted to me from a relative? Mine was given to me by my dad and he purchased the car originally in full back in the day for the 2009 model (has 120,000 km on it). Wondering if I should get him to do the paperwork or wait till he transfer it to my name and I could get the same amount?
God no... do NOT transfer the ownership into you name. You will literally LOSE thousands of dollars.

I'm not joking. DO NOT MOVE TITLE. DO NOT.

If you are NOT the owner of record as of September 2015 you cannot get the buyback. You can only do the fix.

That said, if you were going to do the fix, you STILL lose half the sorry money if you didn't own the car back on September 18th 2015.

So, no DO NOT put the title in your name. Get him to process whatever option you want and get more money. WAY more.

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Thanks for the info. Then it is our bad that we did not explicitly list the refund amount. We thought there were rules and they would just follow the rules.
Make another claim. Explain what happened, how much you received in tax refund and provide all supporting info like a copy of the VW cheque stub.

If you’re young enough you might see a resolution. Sounds like you got less than half of what you should have received.

Thoiry

TDI
2015 Golf TDI - gone
Make another claim. Explain what happened, how much you received in tax refund and provide all supporting info like a copy of the VW cheque stub.

If you’re young enough you might see a resolution. Sounds like you got less than half of what you should have received.
Yes, I am thinking about this. If we can get the other money back, it would be a bonus:rolleyes:. Actually the government finance guy asked the VW cheque stub in order to process our claim.

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
Just popped in to see if there was any news about an Ontario HST refund. Also, wondered what happened to my Gen 1 Golf, will it see a Canadian road again?

Slow down there cowboy....
- the fix will NOT be mandatory... there is literally NO way the government is going to force a member of the public to modify something against thier will, particularly when the government has not themselves done a lick against VW at all.... so you can kee pyour car if you like.
In Ontario, the government states very clearly on the web that you will be required to get the fix. They say only that they will "minimize the inconvenience." I guess you can try the "free man on the land" thing if you want, but in the end you are a slave who has to do whatever they say if you want to keep renewing your registration.

- the overall 'award' for each car doesn't change overtime, only over mileage.
I made two claims a week apart, the first for a buyback, the second for a trade on an Audi I was considering at the time.

The first offer was for $20050. The second, around $19000. Did not take long for me to order a new Toyota.

Must have been right on the edge of a mileage break point. But don't be an eager swallower of the "award doesn't change" patter. I could not have been more than 50 km beyond the step. We are talking about the same car here, there is no reason for it to drop in value by $1000 in a week.

Last edited:

philmcneal

TDI
None
God no... do NOT transfer the ownership into you name. You will literally LOSE thousands of dollars.

If you are NOT the owner of record as of September 2015 you cannot get the buyback. You can only do the fix.

That said, if you were going to do the fix, you STILL lose half the sorry money if you didn't own the car back on September 18th 2015.

So, no DO NOT put the title in your name. Get him to process whatever option you want and get more money. WAY more.
holy **** i owe you a coffee, thank you so much

philmcneal

TDI
None

actually to update its a funny situation as I finally got hold of the paperwork.

My dad bought the car brand new in Nov 09 and put it under my name but he paid for it.

Then march 2011 he transferred it back to his name so he can use it and insure it.

Now when completing the forms online, there is a section if I needed a power of attorney to represent him. But it says if I'm just assisting him in doing the registration process, I don't think I need to check that option do I?

vroomr

TDI
2003 Golf, ALH
Anyone want to sell/trade parts before they send their car in?

Is there a thread anywhere to trade/sell parts of dieselgate cars that are being sold back?

Wouldnt mind a factory radio upgrade :)

KrisA

TDI
2010 Golf SportWagen
Sold my 2010 back yesterday, it was emotional for me, loved the car and it treated me perfectly for the past 8 years. I just couldn't say no, the offer was too good. Dealer manager said he thought my car would be going to "the shredder" despite being in great condition with only 105,000km.

Loved that car, great MPG, great practicality (sportwagen), ZERO issues in 8 years and most of all it was a blast to drive. For a young family with a gear head dad this was the perfect car for me. Sad to see it go, but, I think the void will be filled by my 2018 Alltrack 6mt on order! That car should fix the only issues I had with the Sportwagen, lack of ground clearance, and wanting for 4wd when going for biking or hiking "adventures".

That's the end of my TDI time, but certainly not the end of my VW time, I LOVE their cars.