ACTUAL purchases of '15 USED (buyback) TDIs

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Be prepared for your bank to put a hold on the funds though. It took mine ten business days to fully clear the buyback money.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
Be prepared for your bank to put a hold on the funds though. It took mine ten business days to fully clear the buyback money.
^^^ Only if you choose a paper check instead of the EFT. Right?

I've never heard of a bank hold on EFT's, but maybe your bank is the first.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
With EFT? Hasn't happened to me yet; all five have been 100% available on deposit (and Capital One, where the funds were sent, is notoriously slow in making funds available from transfers).

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Oh wait, as I was writing my response, I remember that was the Bosch check. Not the VW EFT. Sorry for the confusion.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Oh wait, as I was writing my response, I remember that was the Bosch check. Not the VW EFT. Sorry for the confusion.
Ah, yes, that makes more sense--though even then, 10 days to clear a (at most) $1500 check seems excessive.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Question. I am looking at a 15 Jetta TDI S with 29k miles. I see that if you buy a used TDI from a VW dealer there is a 2 year 24k mile bumper to bumper. The dealer I am buying from is a non VW dealer and went to a large VW or Manheim auction and purchased over 100 of them. Is VW backing them with an additional warranty?

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
First. Only cpo get an extension on warranty.

Second, every fixed car has the 162k emissions warranty, that includes long block, and fuel plus emissions systems.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Thanks Borsig

Second, every fixed car has the 162k emissions warranty, that includes long block, and fuel plus emissions systems.
Well I went out and purchased a CPO 2015 Golf SE with Lighting package. 19,100 miles. 16899.00 and 1.49 APR. White on Black with 29 months and 40
k mile warranty in place.
Never thought I would be back in a TDI, but everything has worked out great. Guess I'm back in the club for at least 2 years. :D

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Well I went out and purchased a CPO 2015 Golf SE with Lighting package. 19,100 miles. 16899.00 and 1.49 APR. White on Black with 29 months and 40
k mile warranty in place.
Never thought I would be back in a TDI, but everything has worked out great. Guess I'm back in the club for at least 2 years. :D
Nice car! 6MT?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

I believe only the '15s get the 162K warranties, everything before that gets the reduced warranty.

I could be wrong.

Borsig

TDI
my 'new' CPO 15 has been great so far. Seems we paid almost the same for nearly the exact same car, with nearly the same miles.

The MPG so far on mine has been nothing short of stellar according to the MFI.

Borsig

TDI
First calculation on my modified golf is in. 45 mpg per fuelly. That's better, or at least very close to the best tank I ever got in my gsw.

Modification doesn't seem to have a negative effect on economy. Power seems close, feels like they messed with DSG more than engine

orlando

TDI
2013 JSW & 2015 Golf (Formerly: 2000 JSW)
So how does one figure out the latest value/pricing of these 2015s?! Advice would be welcome on the value of 2015 GSW SEL automatics; I'm watching at several of them ranging in mileage from 18-28K and listed for $19-20.5K. None are certified; all are being sold by non-VW dealers, and one or two have been sitting on the dealers' lots since September. All are buybacks auctioned by VW in August (according to Carfax).

KBB and Nada seem useless, placing the values in the low $20K, around what I see some VW dealers asking for similar cars. Asking prices for the ones I'm talking about are well below Blue Book but nowhere near $6K below (as someone reported getting earlier in this thread). I'm clueless whether to a) grab one of these while I can, b) bargain aggressively, expecting another couple thousand dollars off, even if it means walking away, or c) go to a dealer to order one of these buybacks (as others have reported doing).

So, what is a good 2015 GSW SEL AT price, and how does one know? Any advice would be welcome!

(If there's a more recent thread on this topic, let me know--I couldn't find it. FWIW, I'm selling back the 2013 TDI JSW with 70K miles and the 2015 would replace it.)

Wascally Wabbit

TDI
2010 TDI
So how does one figure out the latest value/pricing of these 2015s?! Advice would be welcome on the value of 2015 GSW SEL automatics; I'm watching at several of them ranging in mileage from 18-28K and listed for $19-20.5K. None are certified; all are being sold by non-VW dealers, and one or two have been sitting on the dealers' lots since September. All are buybacks auctioned by VW in August (according to Carfax).

KBB and Nada seem useless, placing the values in the low $20K, around what I see some VW dealers asking for similar cars. Asking prices for the ones I'm talking about are well below Blue Book but nowhere near $6K below (as someone reported getting earlier in this thread). I'm clueless whether to a) grab one of these while I can, b) bargain aggressively, expecting another couple thousand dollars off, even if it means walking away, or c) go to a dealer to order one of these buybacks (as others have reported doing).

So, what is a good 2015 GSW SEL AT price, and how does one know? Any advice would be welcome!

(If there's a more recent thread on this topic, let me know--I couldn't find it. FWIW, I'm selling back the 2013 TDI JSW with 70K miles and the 2015 would replace it.)
In So Cal they are trying to get 20K for the "new" 2015's. I think not. After having to pay $4500 for a new turbo and the potential for a HPFP issue...not worth it. Even with the added 120k warranty VW will still fight you on the HPFP, at least they did on my friends jetta tdi a few weeks ago that only had 25k. Had it go out a week before his turn in date. Said he mis-fueled it and refused warranty work and was going to give him a deal on the repair at $5500. Said he had to fix it to turn it in for the buyback. Yet he was somehow able to get it turned in when he said he was going to use the money to buy a Passat.

BE AWARE! They tried to do the fix on my car as a recall a couple days ago when I took it into the dealer for an oil change. Luckily I saw it on the invoice and stopped them. Then the manager said I had to or I couldn't renew my registration in CA. Well I just renewed my registration last week. The guy goes "HMMM" and walked off. Lame. Sorry to get off the topic but I've just had it with VW and I don't even care about the emissions thing. I always thought it was stupid to begin with.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The actual "new" left over tdi's have a 11 year 162k mile warranty (fuel system, emissions system, turbo and long block) and all disputes are to be decided in the customers favor. This is unlike anything ever done before. If they claim misfueling on me they will have to prove it with real tests. I personally think the new ones are a good deal, if you want one.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
The actual "new" left over tdi's have a 11 year 162k mile warranty (fuel system, emissions system, turbo and long block) and all disputes are to be decided in the customers favor. This is unlike anything ever done before. If they claim misfueling on me they will have to prove it with real tests. I personally think the new ones are a good deal, if you want one.
....if I do the fix, I have ALL the QT gas pump tickets in the glove box. ( same QT-- same pump.)

... I'm sure you do too.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Nope I took to taking a pic of them with my phone as the ink tends to degrade quickly on them. Easier to store as well. I can keep a complete electronic service history that way too. Not going to keep scraps of paper anymore as we are now in modern times. ;)

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I just picked up yesterday a 2015 Golf TDI SE. In my town there were two vehicles. Identical except for upholstery color. The one I bought has 48k with all service records. Very clean. The other one had only 20k, was a buyback lemon due to a heater noise, which according to the records was an door actuator problem as per VW paperwork. The car looked like it had a rougher life however. Multiple dings on the hood and the inside smelled like an ashtray. At 80 during a test drive that one had a shimmy in the right front tire. That one was at a hyundai dealer. It came from state of New York. Mine came from Ohio and Michigan. I hope it works out well for me.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nope I took to taking a pic of them with my phone as the ink tends to degrade quickly on them. Easier to store as well. I can keep a complete electronic service history that way too. Not going to keep scraps of paper anymore as we are now in modern times. ;)

.... guess I am just a really ol' geezer.
.... computer 12-13 years old
... still paying ma bell -- no cell -- but that is changing ASAP
.... QT tickets clear as I now look at them
... as far as GAS fueling, QT prints PUMP & and product Diesel.
... ol' paper scrapes ... with and in the glove box... once bought a used car - The previous owner had 'bout 200 recorded fill ups on a note pad

kevinbrice

TDI
2004 TDI 5sp Wagon - 48MPG
Forced Upgrade from a Deer

Unfortunately I lost my 2005 Jetta TDI w/ manual transmission in November to a large buck that darted out in front of me on the highway. I drive a lot for work and was averaging 45-46 mpg. My search for a replacement started with the same year and model, but then a few 2015's started popping up in my searches.

I found and purchased a 2015 Jetta SE TDI w/ 6sp manual. (see photo below) It had just under 52K on it and the phase 1 emissions software fix was done prior to purchase at the dealership. The car was spotless, showroom condition. I was very happy with the price and with the extended warranty coverage, and so far I am thrilled with the performance and mileage. On the way back home from purchasing it, about 85mi away, I had a slight tail wind at freeway speed and averaged over 55mpg. Since filling the tank the first time, it is averaging over 51mpg and will get over 700 miles on this tank according to the on-board computer.

Update: 1st full tank: 709miles and 47.4mpg. I topped the tank to FULL with 14.96 gallons. Still getting used to having a 6th gear after driving 5 speeds for so many years.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VIOjOiPvoeyvLkB82

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The on board computer is known to be wrong. Please report full tank hand calculated averages. Better yet use http://www.fuelly.com/ online to report fuel use. Most give little credence to partial results or the on board computer. Congrats on the new car!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Unfortunately I lost my 2005 Jetta TDI w/ manual transmission in November to a large buck that darted out in front of me on the highway. I drive a lot for work and was averaging 45-46 mpg. My search for a replacement started with the same year and model, but then a few 2015's started popping up in my searches.

I found and purchased a 2015 Jetta SE TDI w/ 6sp manual. (see photo below) It had just under 52K on it and the phase 1 fix was done prior to purchase at the dealership. The car was spotless, showroom condition. I was very happy with the price and with the extended warranty coverage, and so far I am thrilled with the performance and mileage. On the way back home from purchasing it, about 85mi away, I had a slight tail wind at freeway speed and averaged over 55mpg. Since filling the tank the first time, it is averaging over 51mpg and will get over 700 miles on this tank according to the on-board computer.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VIOjOiPvoeyvLkB82
Like the last poster said the Computer is wrong hand calculate is the only way to find correct mileage...I also use Fuelly

Borsig

TDI
look at my sig.

Wagon - pre fix
Silver golf - post fix.

Silver golf has been geting better MPG than the wagon ever did (with the exact same wheels and tires, I took them off the wagon), even in cold temps.

Im ok with this, even though the changes to the DSG SUCK, and I'll want to tune them out at some point.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
I have registered mine at the fix site. And it sez I am eligible for about $2500 for the fix.
Seems be the right amt for the Phase II.

It didnt even offer BUYBACK as available option ! - which is a good sign.

Anyway, community is split on whether us, buyers of PhaseI-aplied CPO from VW, are eligible for the PhaseII money. But, it takes about a minute to register, it does go through and if there's money in '18, wont hear me complain !

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I found a 2015 Passat TDI I want to purchase, but it's a few states away. I never bought a car out of state.

What's the buying process like on buying a car out of state?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I found a 2015 Passat TDI I want to purchase, but it's a few states away. I never bought a car out of state.

I have bought them (2) new out of state. and I bought one used, but it had only 5,600 miles. All three delivered to drive way. The used Camry I was in the hospital, and wife wrote a check. Done and done. No problems.

.... currently visiting with a Texas dealer, and he want me to pay TT&L to him; if I use VW zero 60 fin. (TEMP FIN). then he then forwards the $1,000 to OkieVille MVD. That is a show stopper.

If you have one delivered to your home, I prefer all 4 wheels off the ground. Not driven.

.... you get a better price, if you never set foot in the dealership. :D:p:):rolleyes:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI

The only real concerns are who takes care of the dmv requirements and the state where you purchase it requirements on plates. You should let your insurance company know what you’re doing so they can give you a letter of coverage, if necessary.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I have bought them (2) new out of state. and I bought one used, but it had only 5,600 miles. All three delivered to drive way. The used Camry I was in the hospital, and wife wrote a check. Done and done. No problems.

.... currently visiting with a Texas dealer, and he want me to pay TT&L to him; if I use VW zero 60 fin. (TEMP FIN). then he then forwards the $1,000 to OkieVille MVD. That is a show stopper.

If you have one delivered to your home, I prefer all 4 wheels off the ground. Not driven.

.... you get a better price, if you never set foot in the dealership. :D:p:):rolleyes:
Thanks. I would like to purchase in state, but haven't had any luck with the two colors I want, and it being a premium. I may just have to settle for a regular TDI SE. I have found 1 or two I liked, but they want a crazy amount of money for it. I still need to do the buyback for our 2010 Jetta TDI, but if I could find something I would start the process ASAP. I'll be using most of that money for the new VW Passat.

The only real concerns are who takes care of the dmv requirements and the state where you purchase it requirements on plates. You should let your insurance company know what you’re doing so they can give you a letter of coverage, if necessary.
It seems like its a big hassle to purchase out of state, but the only ones I found I liked are out of state. I'm going to keep looking and hope I get lucky. I'm not good with purchasing cars and don't understand out of state purchases, so it has me rethinking it the more and more info I get. :(