MN Chat Thread

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
lol thanks Alex. No silly LED's in my interior nor chincy ebay headlights for me ;)

Windows do need tint! I have 3x good 18" tires so I'm going to keep an eye out for a set of rims for those too but would rather have 17".

Going to go with GTI lower grills I'm thinking, will do the fogs later.

JZoidberg

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
Jon, the only headlight option I'd go with other than hid's are the black housing hella halogens. Personal preference on the grills. I've never been a fan of the honeycomb.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
On my last trip up to MN in June on the way back had right rear a kumho (not sure on spelling) blow out just north of the Missouri Iowa border. I felt it for about 25 or 30 miles but figured a wheel weight had come off. I made it all the way from there to the Oklahoma and Texas border when the left rear started the same symptoms. Since my spare was already on the car I just drove slower for the last 60 miles until I got to the discount tire where they were purchased.

After inspection the right front was starting to go also so they replaced all 4 tires.

I still had to pay $160 out of pocket but I was happy with the customer service.

They only had less than 16k miles on them and the manager said he had never seen 2 out of 4 do that much less 3 out of four as was my case.

Maybe I got a 1 in a million bad luck set of tires but when he asked if I wanted the same tire again I laughed and asked if he was in my shoes would he.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
My tire troubles weren't on my TDI, They were on my Mother's 03 grand marquis. I had to drive back due to work and she stayed longer and flew back. This is probably the most pampered car I have ever seen, she is always driving at least 5 mph under the limit with pissed off people honking behind her.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I haven't had bad luck with Hankooks either (which are on Fettig's car)

I haven't ever seen a tire split like that one was...

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
They all had a separation problem on the face of the tire. The left rear never blew, but by the time I limped it into the tire shop the knot on the face was large enough I was only comfortable doing around 20 mph.

Funny thing is on the 1000 mile trip going north I went 75 / 80 the whole time with few stops and no problems. 2 weeks later and it all happened on the way back when I wasn't pushing it as hard.

teufelhunden

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Jetta TDI
For those of you that use Tapatalk on your smart phones, ver4 is now out and only $0.99 this week. At least in the android market. .. not sure about iphone. I downloaded it and like it a lot more than the old version though have only used for a few hrs.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
I haven't had bad luck with Hankooks either (which are on Fettig's car)

I haven't ever seen a tire split like that one was...

I have seen such a cracks/slits on tires. Its a very common to happen on older drier tire that have stiffer side walls. A lot of times this happens when people dont check tire pressure with gauge regularly and drive with low tire pressure for while with under inflated tire. Since sidewalls are stiff enough the tire looks fine when you look at it but in reality its low on pressure this will cause sidewalls to crack/split.

JZoidberg

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
I've seen cracks on tires like that, but only on cars that sat around for a long time.

Anyways Jon what are you going to run now. Just replace the tire, or look at other options?

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I'm looking for a set of rims right now, I don't like spending a ton on new rims so its lots of searching.

If I came across the right size tire cheap, I'd grab one to replace it, actually I'm looking for one of those too so I have something for right now.

JZoidberg

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
There's a guy in mtka with a set of denvers. Tires are getting low however. He's asking $600. Too much in my opinion. I offered him $300 and he didn't respond.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I'm actually not a big fan of most OEM wheels that you'd find on a budget MKV, especially Denvers. I wish I picked up those supertrismos from MNAudi a month ago even though I had no car to put them on.

JZoidberg

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
Those would've been perfect. I'm going to sell my vmr's, but your probably not going to want to pay what I'm going to ask. + they're 18's

teufelhunden

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Jetta TDI
Any of you guys have a shortshift installed? I'm on the fence between the TT and the DG kits and would really like some input or even better the opportunity to see how they feel before I order one. I've read all the threads and get the notchy but solid argument with the DG and see the advantage to the front/back and L/R reduction, but would hate to spend $200 when $60 might do the trick.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I just installed an OEM short shifter on my 09, I like it. there is a JHM on my S4 and I hate it. I've driven a couple DieselGeek short shifters - way way too short and notchy.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I agree with Jon on this one....DG is way too notchy for my taste. I actually did like their TTX shifters when they made them but I'm sure they just didn't make enough money on a product line that cannibalized sales from the ss short shifters.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
fixmyvw.com (Newzboys here on tdiclub) probably has the best price on the OEM short shifter, I got mine from him.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
I agree with Jon on this one....DG is way too notchy for my taste. I actually did like their TTX shifters when they made them but I'm sure they just didn't make enough money on a product line that cannibalized sales from the ss short shifters.
Nick has driven my car with the DG short shifter so he knows but I drive it every day & love it.