Why is my car jerking?

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
No actually I haven't considered it is my driving habit when it jerks sometimes under the same load, throttle position, rpm and weather conditions and not others. Have you considered you aren't preceptive enough to notice that the car is poorly calibrated?

I've been driving manual transmission cars since I was 11 or 12 years old, I've raced cars and motorcycles. I've done my own engine management calibrations as well (B5S4 and Corvette). I've also personally owned 35 cars, 33 of which were manual transmission.

I wouldn't consider 1st gear on flat ground at 2500 rpm to be a load issue, would you? How about at 60mph on flat ground in 6th gear?

These cars just occasionally get the hiccups. Do I need to record VCDS output showing gear position, rpm, load, throttle and a G meter and post it up on youtube before you to believe it, are all these posts not enough?
No need to get defensive; I don't know you therefore I don't know your driving habits. Thus, when you make a blanket statement that these cars have the worst tuned engine management or something to that effect, and I don't experience that in my own car, then I have to ask. To further digress and attack me by saying I'm not perceptive enough is simply childish. My perception is just fine thanks, just like my car.

I'm not going to beat my chest and tout out my accomplishments on the internet, but I will say that we do have fairly similar driving experiences and backgrounds. I'm sorry if my earlier question was misconstrued by you in some fashion - it was not my intent to belittle or demean. Again, for what it's worth, my vehicle doesn't exhibit any bucking or jerking unless I intentionally lug the engine.

And to answer your question about load issues; if what you're telling me is factual, then no, I wouldn't believe there to be a load issue in first gear at 2500 RPM. If your car is bucking at that speed, then something else is going on. Are you coasting when the bucking happens, or are you on throttle? I ask because I remember reading of someone complaining of something similar, and it ended up being the EGR valve closing when coasting.

siriusblue

TDI
'09 dsg Jetta sedan
.. My guess is that it's the DSG as it felt like when I'm driving manual and it doesn't have enough fuel and "lugs" the engine. It seemed to be better about it since the DSG update, but now I'm not sure!
Note that we've only noticed it going slow around a corner, I guess.
My DSG (tdi '09) definitely, how to say, bucks/jerks/roughshifts, when engaging 3rd gear in D mode (before Gen 1 fix).. under two different (unrelated?) scenarios.
1 Entering 3rd quickly,
ie after being off some hours ie >6hrs, and accelerating stopped through 2nd gear in under 5 seconds. I should add below a secondary shifting misbehaviour when in 2nd and reducing pressure a lot:
a really slow rise through 2nd results in the upshift having a doiiing sound. Scary! Wonder if something is broken. Very hard to reproduce, especially for a dealership to take seriously. My only memories of 'the doiing' are leaving my mom's laneway, and taking like 6+ seconds in 2nd.​
2 (like your last line) going slowly around a corner
If Im coasting toward a fresh green light where I intend to turn right (happens daily many times) but am in 3rd when I enter the intersection. Ill begin turning wheel right, still in 3rd. Mid turn, my DSG decides randomly to disengage 3rd for some reason. Roughly at the half way into turn, but when still in 3rd, Ive slowed down enough to think about regaining speed, so I increase pressure on peddle. for some reason, the slightest pressure change will coincide/trigger the shift down to 2nd. Often the pressure I use slight, but still high enough to correspond to an rpm too high for the D-mode 2nd gear ceiling, then 3rd is engaged again with a buck/jerk.
Ive noticed the slight pressure that triggers this rough shifting can be massaged into a smoother turn if, as soon as I apply pressure I quickly ease off a lot and hold it fixed as low as I think I did the last time. Somewhere in the chaos of 3-2-3 is what sounds like a rev-matching issue. Hope someone can point me in the right direction on this.​
best ive come up with for remedies
allow a minimum of 5 seconds in each gear (or at least first 3 gears) after being off 6+ hours.
when making turns slowly (ie slowing down in 3rd intending to turn right) use the Slightest pressure when regaining speed mid-turn
Very hard to understand what is going on, even when reading other posts, what the risks are, what my options are for moving forward.

bought preowned w 134k kms from whitby owasco dealership.
Had all the above issues from day 1. sadly didnt know how to describe comprehensively enough at the visits to the dealership during warranty period, as to be easily reproduced by dealer tech test drives,.
Didnt help either that the DSG fluid was warm by the drive there (#1 is irreproducible).
New to posting. Ill likely trim down this message

Last edited:

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
just a few thoughts and assuming the gearbox is warm. For DSG- is fluid/filter change up to date?

Have you thought about coding tranny to ROW and see if the issues still exist or are much improved?

Does issue exist with hill hold and descent control off?

siriusblue

TDI
'09 dsg Jetta sedan
just a few thoughts and assuming the gearbox is warm. For DSG- is fluid/filter change up to date?
Have you thought about coding tranny to ROW and see if the issues still exist or are much improved?
Does issue exist with hill hold and descent control off?
Thanks for the ideas.

DSG fluid+filter has been maintained to guidelines since ive had it.

scenario 2 happened while warm.
scenario 1 mostly vanished after decent warmup period (which is hard to precisely explain)

Cant say ive heard of a few thigns 'hill hold' 'descent control' , 'ROW', and wouldnt know where to start with 'coding' the tranny. Glad you asked though. I might be too new to owning a car.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
if your vehicle has these features, they should be in your manual, or you can search for these features that hold the vehicle in place on a hill and slow you down when you remove your foot from the go pedal- particularly noticeable on a long descent. My experience (may or may not be yours) is that these features, in part, impact the actions of the DSG transmission. Also, the transmission "ROW" or "rest of the world" coding, is a different mapping for the transmission. vag-com and coding knowledge required.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
OK. I just picked up a 2014 jetta MT which is stock for now. I noticed this while putting around. My straight piped 2014 JSW MT never did this. Already ordered a new buzzken straight pipe for this vehicle , it's pretty annoying and worried me a little at first.

Steve140

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 & 2011 Golf TDIs
My 2011 Golf 6spd did this before and after the VW fix. I got a full Buzzken delete and tune and it runs so much better. I in fact put it away for the winter and am driving my old 2000 around in the salt and snow.